By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NSW is here to Stay!! It’s Life Will Be Long and No Successor Will Come Before 2025!

When will NSW2 come out?

2022 Holiday 15 11.19%

2023 Spring 19 14.18%

2023 Holiday 25 18.66%

2024 Spring 38 28.36%

2024 Holiday 23 17.16%

2025 Spring 10 7.46%

2025 Holiday 3 2.24%

2026+ 1 0.75%

Total:134
curl-6 said:
tbone51 said:

Horrible take on software, we didn’t kno about paper Mario intill last month and it released next month. That could be the case for several games this year. Smash dlc confirmed that sakurai pre recorded the video in his own home meaning it’s harder to actually announced things due to the pandemic.

You use the “7” in a clever way to make NSW look worse than it is. AC came out 3 months ago, you could of said only one major game in the last 3 months but opt for 7 instead of 8 cuz Pokémon released. It’s a weird spin I see people use.

as for software, we already have some games coming, just cuz it’s not a “major game” which you claimed to be no more of (outside of thread).

Apr-Dec

Animal Crossing

Paper Mario 

Pokemon Snap

clubhouse games

xenoblade chronicles de 

ninjala (yes this counts)

DLC of Pokémon/SSB

*unannounced game 1

Rumors of pikmin3D/3DWD/Mario 3D collection 

You know a lineup is poor when you have to pad it with rumors, old games, low budget filler like Clubhouse, and DLC to try to make it look acceptable. And Pokemon Snap isn't even confirmed for this year.

Are you talking about sales performance or just what you personally like?  If we are talking about sales performance, then the first 6 months of 2020 have been extremely good for Switch.  I mean it is in short supply almost everywhere.  The software lineup for 2020 beats the first 6 months of 2018 and 2019 by a mile.  Seriously you could just put all the first party games released in the first half of 2018 or 2019 against Animal Crossing alone and 2020 still wins easily.

If you are talking about what you like personally, then it's all a matter of taste.  I think the people who like Animal Crossing are very happy that it came out when it did.  I didn't play Animal Crossing, but I had a big backlog.  But yeah, if you don't like any of these games, then I can see how this would be an unlucky season for you.  I really didn't like most of the games on PS4.  It sure had plenty of them, but the whole system was an unlucky season for me.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:

Look, we're clearly not going to agree here but I think you're holding Nintendo to a very low standard here. We know they can do so much better than this. Yes, I know, there's a pandemic, but other companies aren't letting that stop them.

Did other companies drop an announcement and a release date for 2months later? Everyone is different. Nintendo announces in their own way

It seems as though Nintendo can do no wrong in your view, so I don't think there's much point discussing it.

curl-6 said:
tbone51 said:

Did other companies drop an announcement and a release date for 2months later? Everyone is different. Nintendo announces in their own way

It seems as though Nintendo can do no wrong in your view, so I don't think there's much point discussing it.

That’s fine, I’ll hold judgement intill end of 2020. For all we know we can have 5-7 mid-big tier games by years end. My point was solely that there are games, whether or not they are for me and you. 

Clubhouse / XCDE / Ninjala / ACNH / Paper Mario are all good games to release in a 5month window being I think the slowest time of the year. Personally rather have other games as PM only one I’m getting from what I mentioned but will try out Ninjala. If the only games are let’s say pikmin 3 and Mario 3D collection for the rest of the year, I’ll agree with you on a weak year. But again I’ll wait intill end of Aug/sept to judge

curl-6 said:
tbone51 said:

Yes, 2nd half usually always stronger. But ignoring other games isn’t right. I didn’t pick up the last 2, but I kno they are games. 

Let's be honest, on what other platform would a minigame collection and a remaster of a 7th gen game be chalked up as major releases? It shows how starved Switch's recent lineup has been that these are even in the conversation.

It's easy to identify people who didn't own a PS4 during year one (or two), or at least aren't honest about it.

"Right Now, There Are No Defining PS4 Exclusives...

Of all the reasons to be dissuaded from buying a PS4 right now, the scarcity of an essential game is the most convincing. Most of the PS4's third-party games can be found on Xbox One, although the tremendously terrifying P.T. is a notable exception. Microsoft's next-gen system also edges ahead in terms of exclusive titles, particularly with the likes of Forza Horizon 2 and Titanfall (though the latter's exclusivity extends across all Microsoft platforms). Meanwhile, the Wii U is in a different league when it comes to essential games (although Nintendo's console has major problems with its third-party line-up).

The Last of Us Remastered might swing it for you, but Sony's first-party studios have generally created somewhat underwhelming PS4 games so far, none of which carry long-lasting appeal."

"PS4 is an Indie Games Haven"

Meanwhile the first year for Switch was one of the most stacked in console history. Puzzles me how you keep managing to lose perspective of that. And yet here you are, still doomsaying about the software slump for this calender year, when we're only halfway through with an already record-breaking new release, and still no idea what Nintendo has planned for the holidays.

RolStoppable said:
Ljink96 said:
Eh, I think 2023 will be the year. Nintendo said in the last meeting that they were around the halfway point of their console cycle. 2024 at the latest is what I'm thinking. If Nintendo doesn't care about getting improved 3rd party support then sure, they can go all the way to 2025. But since they rely mostly on 1st Party, Indie, and some decent Japanese 3rd Party Support, I guess they'll be fine.

The only way I see it dragging into 2025 is if a hardware refresh is released in 2022 with a sizable bump in performance and other improvements.

"Nintendo Switch has just entered the middle of its life cycle,"

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200508e.pdf
A2

That's a statement that is different from talking about a halfway point and reiterates Nintendo's intent to give Switch a longer lifespan. And given Switch's sales curve, they are well advised to do just that, because anything else would be self-inflicted damage.

Nintendo's mid-gen refresh akin to a New 3DS won't be coming this year, so an actual successor is still a long way off. tbone51's spring 2025 prediction is so not tbone51, because adding only a few months on top of a perfectly reasonable prediction is way too safe.

It’s funny cuz I am playing it safe at least in terms of the name Tbone51 lol. I keep saying this date because I don’t see any1 thinking it’ll be out after 2024. Majority seem to think 2023, with a few crazy ones as 2022. Others 2024.

Around the Network

One thing I have been thinking of is that the pandemic really robbed away future sales from the switch. By this I mean sales that normally would be had when a price cut to the OG happens actually happened during March-to now period by those same people getting a lite instead. This is purely speculation but I think a price cut will have a bit of less impact than usual.

MasonADC said:
One thing I have been thinking of is that the pandemic really robbed away future sales from the switch. By this I mean sales that normally would be had when a price cut to the OG happens actually happened during March-to now period by those same people getting a lite instead. This is purely speculation but I think a price cut will have a bit of less impact than usual.

Say that to all the people trying to get Ring Fit adventure ;)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

You know a lineup is poor when you have to pad it with rumors, old games, low budget filler like Clubhouse, and DLC to try to make it look acceptable. And Pokemon Snap isn't even confirmed for this year.

Are you talking about sales performance or just what you personally like?  If we are talking about sales performance, then the first 6 months of 2020 have been extremely good for Switch.  I mean it is in short supply almost everywhere.  The software lineup for 2020 beats the first 6 months of 2018 and 2019 by a mile.  Seriously you could just put all the first party games released in the first half of 2018 or 2019 against Animal Crossing alone and 2020 still wins easily.

If you are talking about what you like personally, then it's all a matter of taste.  I think the people who like Animal Crossing are very happy that it came out when it did.  I didn't play Animal Crossing, but I had a big backlog.  But yeah, if you don't like any of these games, then I can see how this would be an unlucky season for you.  I really didn't like most of the games on PS4.  It sure had plenty of them, but the whole system was an unlucky season for me.

*Waves while jumping up and down*

I got Animal Crossing (my second favorite series ever), get Paper Mario (favorite series ever), and Bug Fables (like my favorite series ever) in one year. This may be the greatest gaming year of my life!

Last edited by Dulfite - on 23 June 2020

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

Let's be honest, on what other platform would a minigame collection and a remaster of a 7th gen game be chalked up as major releases? It shows how starved Switch's recent lineup has been that these are even in the conversation.

It's easy to identify people who didn't own a PS4 during year one (or two), or at least aren't honest about it.

"Right Now, There Are No Defining PS4 Exclusives...

Of all the reasons to be dissuaded from buying a PS4 right now, the scarcity of an essential game is the most convincing. Most of the PS4's third-party games can be found on Xbox One, although the tremendously terrifying P.T. is a notable exception. Microsoft's next-gen system also edges ahead in terms of exclusive titles, particularly with the likes of Forza Horizon 2 and Titanfall (though the latter's exclusivity extends across all Microsoft platforms). Meanwhile, the Wii U is in a different league when it comes to essential games (although Nintendo's console has major problems with its third-party line-up).

The Last of Us Remastered might swing it for you, but Sony's first-party studios have generally created somewhat underwhelming PS4 games so far, none of which carry long-lasting appeal."

"PS4 is an Indie Games Haven"

Meanwhile the first year for Switch was one of the most stacked in console history. Puzzles me how you keep managing to lose perspective of that. And yet here you are, still doomsaying about the software slump for this calender year, when we're only halfway through with an already record-breaking new release, and still no idea what Nintendo has planned for the holidays.

That's the thing, PS4's output in its first year was indeed quite poor. Likely because PS3's last year was so stacked and it took time for their teams to reload and fire again.

It could indeed be the case that Nintendo have a strong lineup for the second half, but as of now we just don't know. And AC was an atom bomb no doubt, but it was also their only big new release for Jan-June.

They may have sold a lot of hardware, but that's not much good to me as a Switch owner who's not into Animal Crossing.

I have been hypothesizing lately that Nintendo may just ride out this entire next gen with Switch rather than put themselves in a weird mid gen cycle again, and after how the Switch is selling I think it’s very possible. If that’s the case, we probably wouldn’t get the successor until something like q4 in 2026 (assuming ps6 and Xbox come in 2027, same 7 year span as last gen).