By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mark Cerny is the Satoru Iwata of Sony

The more I think about it, the more I begin to realize that Mark Cerny, General Producer and System Architect of the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, is kind-of Sony's equivalent to Nintendo's late Satoru Iwata. Think about it.

• A guy who's been involved in gaming since the early days of his career
  • Help shaped iconic mascots
  • Involved with the company's console games since their inception, and continued to support them despite not actually working at said company
  • Company and its image were in shambles after the arrogance of its shrewd leader puts them behind the competition
  • Said leader steps back from the company, and lets the fresh outsider take the reigns on the next system
  • Outsider works to re-think the conventions of not only the company's gaming console, but a gaming console in general
  • His strong leadership and vision delivers a simple, easy to use product with wider appeal than its predecessor
  • Instead of making the most powerful gizmo on the planet, the focus is more on simple, efficient hardware that's easy to develop on, even if it isn't that high-tech.
  • The Console goes on to dominate most of the generation, selling 100+ million units worldwide
  • Console kept alive thanks to large library, several accessories and peripherals that widen its appeal

Cerny's rise and success at SIE is a very similar story to that of Iwata's for Nintendo.

Around the Network
padib said:

While you can make parallels in how they were/are dedicated to their brands and improved on the mistakes of past leaders, Satoru Iwata was more than a professional in the field of video games. He was also a very lovable, charismatic man who did the following rare things:

• Took the blame for poor sales of the WiiU and also a massive pay cut, this while president of the company
  • Initiated interviews with 3rd party developers, building bridges with these people, these artists, with Iwata Asks, shedding this presidential aura (esp. in Japan) and humbled himself to talk directly to devs in friendly, casual meetings.
  • Was courageous enough to be fun and childlike in his Nintendo Directs (which he also initiated), doing things like holding up a Donkey Kong banana and other light-hearted fun jokes
  • He continued to work in complete dedication until the very end, his death
  • He initiated the Quality of Life program at Nintendo, a program intended to improve the health and lives of people through the medium of video games.

While I see the parallels, there are very few leaders like Satoru Iwata, and we were fortunate to have him. I would not compare Mark Cerny to Iwata, as effective as Cerny may be in his management of Sony. Iwata was something else, that we can compare few people to.

While I do agree that Iwata was a special human being (and one that will live on in his work for a gaming eternity) there are a few things that I think are a bit rose-tinted in your points.

1. Iwata took the blame for the disaster of the WiiU because it was his fault. Sure, a pay cut was without a doubt unheard of before, but the WiiU was in many ways a product of his lack of vision, of where the industry was heading, and one that cost Nintendo the dedicated home console market.

2. He initiated interviews/discussions with developers out of pure necessity. ~8 years ago almost no major 3rd party publisher worked with Nintendo, so they tried to reach out in as many ways as possible. This is one of the aspects Sony managed to beat them,m even during their struggles in the 7th generation. It was a nice way, how he handled it, but in all honestly turned out to be a bit pointless.

3. The Quality of Life program, from what I understood, had its fair share of development setbacks and failures, and the only truly tangible late result is Ring Fit Adventure, a game that was obviously born by those works. Still, it was first and foremost a profit-oriented endeavor, and not the humanitarian work so many people try to portray it. It was never meant to be affordable, and it was coined during Nintendo's troubled period. 

4. Working until your deathbed, while it might seem noble (I know I will never have the passion for anything like this, ever) it is also a clear sign of workaholism, a deadly plague in the Japanese work environments. I am not willing to celebrate this.

Now, I know I might seem like a monster, pointing these out, but the truth is, but the fact is that Iwata was a man, just like everyone else, one who worked with passion and dedication his whole life, but one who had flaws and made some proven mistakes.

All in all, I think there is nothing wrong with OP pointing out the resemblance with Mark Cerny, and I think there are some valid arguments on both sides. Now, if the person would have chosen Bobby Kotick, that would be a completely different story altogether

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I miss Iwata :(

He was my favourite part of Nintendo Directs. Seemed like such a kind soul.
I loved his accent and his quote that became a meme "please understand".
The Wii U may have been his "fault", but he also gave us the Wii/DS and now we are enjoying his final vision with the amazing Switch!
His legacy will live forever!

1doesnotsimply

Iwata is the reason the Wii and DS existed, and it really shook the industry. Few others made such ballsy moves. Sometimes they didn't pay off, but in the end, the guy did things few others would do.

Tried to edit the quote tree as much as I could, hope I won't mess up the format But yeah, left the last part, as I think this truly captures the essence of who he was, and pretty much I agree with all the rest that you replied.

Going back to a semi-public person's life and analyze his/her life from the tidbits of information that we have will always be a hard task, so taking out the subjective interpretations will be nigh impossible. As with all people he had his good sides and bad sides, but contrary to most human beings, he actually left behind a true legacy, and this is something that I do not say lightly. 

Hopefully, our kids will one day write the same thing about Cerny. I mean Knack is no Earthbound/Smash, but hey, he has to start somewhere :)))

What about good ol Kaz Hirai?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Mark Cerny is nowhere near as charming

That's a fair comparison.

The two men are actually extremely different.  Cerny and Iwata do have some similarities which the OP pointed out, but think about what these men are fundamentally about.  Iwata was CEO of Nintendo.  Cerny was never CEO of Sony or even executive over their entertainment division.  Cerny lead the hardware development, but not the whole Playstation brand.  Cerny is like Sony's Gunpei Yokoi.  Yokoi invented key hardware like the Zapper and Gameboy and also was involved in game development (Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc...).  Cerny has long been involved in hardware and software development, so Yokoi is a lot more who he is like.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The two men are actually extremely different.  Cerny and Iwata do have some similarities which the OP pointed out, but think about what these men are fundamentally about.  Iwata was CEO of Nintendo.  Cerny was never CEO of Sony or even executive over their entertainment division.  Cerny lead the hardware development, but not the whole Playstation brand.  Cerny is like Sony's Gunpei Yokoi.  Yokoi invented key hardware like the Zapper and Gameboy and also was involved in game development (Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc...).  Cerny has long been involved in hardware and software development, so Yokoi is a lot more who he is like.

I have to admit that at first glance it does make more sense to compare these two. The very strong hardware focus of both careers does make it seem like they have more in common. Oh man, Gunpei Yokoi, yet another genius that I have not thought about in a while...

Very general similarities, but I wouldnt say he is sony's Iwata.
I dont think Sony has any kind of personality thats is presented publicly like that, and I like it that way, always felt weird when executives try to be the face of a company.