By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict when Switch will enter the Top 10

At VGC, we have the hardware charts here

So, the question is: When will Nintendo Switch enter the top 10 best-selling hardwares of all time? It's currently at 13th with 58.25 Million. In order reach the 10th spot, it must beat the following systems:

12th - NES (61.91 million)

11th - 3DS (75.29 million) - Still going, but at a very slow pace.

10th - PSP (81.09 million)

Do you think Switch will eventually beat the PSP and enter the Top 10? When will that happen?

I think it can beat the NES later this year. In fact it will blast past it with some strong announcement or game release. The 3DS and the PSP I have no idea, I'm not very good at making predictions.

Around the Network

3DS should be Q1 next year and PSP Q3

At the rate it is going Switch will become one of the best selling Nintendo consoles,this year had manufacturing problems and it still sells damn good.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 21 June 2020

The weekly sales have been showing a consistent enough to sales pattern for the Switch to outsell the NES by September 2020. Assuming the 9th gen console cycle doesnt disrupt its record of having record breaking holiday sales, it could potentially outsell the 3DS by June 2021

Around 72 million by the end of the year, and probably at 82 million by the end of september 2021

Around the Network

Pass NES possibly by end of september, pass 3DS March 2021, pass PSP and enter top ten Aug/Sept 2021.

If we are talking shipped, I think it will get very close to 81m by the end of Nintendo's next fiscal year. So shipped would be in the April to June quarter 2021. OP implies sold through though and that will be in the July to September quarter.

Q2-Q3 2021.

Will pass NES with the quarterly report as of September 2020

Will pass 3DS with the quarterly report released as of March 2021

Will pass PSP with the quarterly report released as of September 2021

Imma say June 2021, Nintendo for the fiscal year between March 2020-March 2021 is forecasting to ship 19M Switch's which would put the Switch at 75M by March 2021.

However, it should be fairly obvious that Nintendo's 19M forecast is extremely conservative for this fiscal year as the Switch is currentlythe fastest selling systems of all time year to date thanks to Covid/Switch Lite, and AC. So a fiscal year of 23M is more likely between March 2020-2021, putting the Switch at 79M by March 2021, and I'm sure Nintendo could sell 2-3M units between March and June 2021 to surpass the PSP in total sales by June 2021.