By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Australia’s top climate scientist says “we are already deep into the trajectory towards collapse” of civilisation

Marth said:
S.Peelman said:

To be fair; “ever recorded” only means the last 100 years give or take. The history of the world is a lot longer than that, and there have been plenty of colder but also even warmer periods throughout it for all kinds of reasons. I’m not saying we have no influence, but excuse me if I’m not prepping my basement just yet.

While the Human effect is clear, cycles happen regardless of human interference.  The Earth is overdue for many natural disasters that quite frankly, can greatly effect global temperatures.

Around the Network
Marth said:
S.Peelman said:

To be fair; “ever recorded” only means the last 100 years give or take. The history of the world is a lot longer than that, and there have been plenty of colder but also even warmer periods throughout it for all kinds of reasons. I’m not saying we have no influence, but excuse me if I’m not prepping my basement just yet.

What Farsala said. 2000 years is also too short of a timespan. With statements like ‘ever recorded’ they always mean since they started actually recording data in the moment, which didn’t happen until relatively recently. Like I said I’m not saying we don’t have any influence or aren’t accelerating things (the rise in CO2 in the atmosphere since the 1800s coinciding with a rise in temperature would be too much of a coincidence), but the world is already long overdue for such a rise in temperature.

EnricoPallazzo said:
S.Peelman said:

Well, widespread rioting is actually happening. Though that doesn’t have anything to do with the climate change.

Well maybe it have... if it was winter people would not be on the streets, this spring was very hot

Heh, yeah that’s one way to look at it.

Farsala said:
Marth said:

While the Human effect is clear, cycles happen regardless of human interference.  The Earth is overdue for many natural disasters that quite frankly, can greatly effect global temperatures.

Yes lets all pray for a something like a super volcano errupting, say Yellow Stone?
It ll throw ash up into the atmosphere and cover unsually large amounts of it, cooling down the planet.

The downside is something like 40-60% of americans will die, and world will face mass starvation for a few years after.

Encase that doesnt happend.... maybe we should try stopping the global warming?

Marth said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I would like to know how much the solar cycle does effect us as that should be more active atm(solar maximum),it effects activity on the sun like more and bigger sunspots that are being tied to the ever changing magnetic field of our sun and has cycles of about 11 years till the magnitic field flips North and South poles.

The sun is currently very generous to us but it doesen't matter. We caused this shitshow ourselves.

Why was it stable from 1940 to 1980?

EnricoPallazzo said:
Marth said:

The sun is currently very generous to us but it doesen't matter. We caused this shitshow ourselves.

Why was it stable from *1945 to *1975?

Good question :)

Part of that has to be the sun activeity dropping (1955-1970s).
The rest? no idea.

Something tells me "sunspots" isnt the full picture, of the effects the sun has on the earth and its temp.

Still theres like 20 year delay, between the blue line and the red one.
Ei. the greenhouse gasses we release today end up effecting us like 15-20 years down the line.

This also means, when we think of problems, we need to think 20 years into the future.
How bad will our climate get, from what we've already released upto today?

Thats the problem with climate change it takes time, so it just slowly creeps up on you.
Alot of people are just willing to say "screw it, not my problem, I'll be dead by then anyways".
It just keeps getting incrementally worse.

However at some point, it ll be so bad, that it'll effect us, and we're reaching that point.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 June 2020

Around the Network

Not many here obviously know that science has data from 100's thousands of years ago through ice core sampling and rock isotopes to see back very far, we are technically moving into a cold period based on natural cycles due to our orbital position to the sun https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2949/why-milankovitch-orbital-cycles-cant-explain-earths-current-warming/ , but hint it's not getting colder, scientists from around the world have a consensus that we are in a period of human induced climate change due to how rapid it is, something the natural cycles don't do 

NASA has much of this explained for the layman https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/  

JRPGfan said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Why was it stable from *1945 to *1975?

Good question :)

Part of that has to be the sun activeity dropping (1955-1970s).
The rest? no idea.

Something tells me "sunspots" isnt the full picture, of the effects the sun has on the earth and its temp.

Still theres like 20 year delay, between the blue line and the red one.
Ei. the greenhouse gasses we release today end up effecting us like 15-20 years down the line.

This also means, when we think of problems, we need to think 20 years into the future.
How bad will our climate get, from what we've already released upto today?

Thats the problem with climate change it takes time, so it just slowly creeps up on you.
Alot of people are just willing to say "screw it, not my problem, I'll be dead by then anyways".
It just keeps getting incrementally worse.

However at some point, it ll be so bad, that it'll effect us, and we're reaching that point.

Got it, makes sense. many thanks.

JRPGfan said:
Farsala said:

Yes lets all pray for a something like a super volcano errupting, say Yellow Stone?
It ll throw ash up into the atmosphere and cover unsually large amounts of it, cooling down the planet.

The downside is something like 40-60% of americans will die, and world will face mass starvation for a few years after.

Encase that doesnt happend.... maybe we should try stopping the global warming?

A super volcano would be too devastating, and they are quite rare. But many strong volcanoes like Krakatoa are supposably past due their eruption time according to the science.

Of course I would love to stop the human side of the things, but people keep voting in idiots that support mega corporations that couldn't care less about the climate. I prefer to be optimistic and hope that the Earth cools itself :).

Last edited by Farsala - on 21 June 2020

4 °C sounds like more than what I think I usually hear, so I'm a bit skeptic about that, but the problem exists regardless - it's just about the speed of change.

Kinda.... exagerated, don't you think?

The world has been on this doomsday path for decades, if you go by what scientists say. We need to chenge our practices and better protect the enviroment, no doubt, but I don't trust one bit these scientists that say that the world will literally implode if we don't stop using electricity right now.

They ALWAYS underestimate the growth and benefits that new technology brings to the table.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1