By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Australia’s top climate scientist says “we are already deep into the trajectory towards collapse” of civilisation

I've already given up that any major reform will happen in my lifetime. People will only act when everything is fucked up. Nobody wants to leave their comfort zone unless consequences are too extreme

Praying for my grandchildren (if I've ever have one). They are the ones who will pay for my generation's mistakes

Around the Network

Climate change is real and escalating.
The last bushfire season in Australia was apocalyptic... And this coming season is looking just as bad, if not worse.

We have actually used climate change data for decades to do forward predictions on fire behavior and trends... And the scary shit is, it's been scarily accurate over that time.

Sadly we need something worse to happen than Australia's apocalyptic bushfire season to wake people up to the issue en-masse, globally.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

It's like a small iceage needs to be triggered before countries start acting.

People calling for a "moderate" response have morphed from the old Deniers league, nothing but a fully realized response to this coming tragedy will help now

Moderates are the new Deniers, they are the threat now  

Rab said:

People calling for a "moderate" response have morphed from the old Deniers league, nothing but a fully realized response to this coming tragedy will help now

But some change is better than no change or am I wrong? This mentality of it's either all or nothing isn't just in politics anymore huh, wish that way of thinking would disappear already.

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Rab said:

But some change is better than no change or am I wrong? This mentality of it's either all or nothing isn't just in politics anymore huh, wish that way of thinking would disappear already.

Most people have stopped being deniers, they now have changed tact to being for "moderate" change  

Except in this situation that is World shattering for human civilisation, doing just "something" won't cut it, we either survive or we don't

For our survival Moderation is our enemy now, a far harder enemy to fight than Denial   

Last edited by Rab - on 02 August 2020

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Rab said:

The problem is the same as with the idea from conservatives to plant trees to absorb the CO2.

As I calculated before in this thread you would need to plant 2-3 billion trees per year just to absorb the current production rates - and keep in mind they often only want to plant hundreds of thousands, so just less than 1% of what would be needed in a normal year.

Such half-assed actions may buy you a handful years if you're very lucky, but won't be enough to change course. At. All. It just kicks the can slightly forward.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

The problem is the same as with the idea from conservatives to plant trees to absorb the CO2.

As I calculated before in this thread you would need to plant 2-3 billion trees per year just to absorb the current production rates - and keep in mind they often only want to plant hundreds of thousands, so just less than 1% of what would be needed in a normal year.

Such half-assed actions may buy you a handful years if you're very lucky, but won't be enough to change course. At. All. It just kicks the can slightly forward.

China has reportedly planted 66~ Billion trees since 1978.
66 billion trees.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02789-w

But then we need to account for the 3-7 Billion tree's we chop down every year for farmland or paper or other uses.

Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

66 billion trees.

A very interesting approach. But I wonder how many survived in that arid environment - and what the consequences would be if there were to be a fire in those plantations. Like the paper says, planting herbs, grasses and bushes would probably have been better for that region's climate.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pemalite said:

66 billion trees.

A very interesting approach. But I wonder how many survived in that arid environment - and what the consequences would be if there were to be a fire in those plantations. Like the paper says, planting herbs, grasses and bushes would probably have been better for that region's climate.

Just plant Eucalypts... They thrive in low-water, fire prone areas.