By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - (POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE) The agenda and political discussion of Naughty Dog

Have politics damaged the quality of ND games

No 39 41.94%

Yes 54 58.06%

Total:93

I watched the first few minutes of the game and knew I would hate it. I like Ellie in the first game. In just a few minutes I disliked her. An old dude genuinely apologizes for freaking out about catching her and Dina together, but she's a complete bitch to him. So much for acceptance and being open-minded.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
I watched the first few minutes of the game and knew I would hate it. I like Ellie in the first game. In just a few minutes I disliked her. An old dude genuinely apologizes for freaking out about catching her and Dina together, but she's a complete bitch to him. So much for acceptance and being open-minded.

To be fair what he says crosses a line. Realistically in that situation most wouldn't be quick to forgive.

You'd have to be blind not to see that ND's storytelling has suffered because of their agenda and the things they have to crowbar in there no matter what. Most gamers don't have a problem with minorities in games, but there's a wrong way and a right way to do these things. These characters need to be introduced organically within the story, but the story needs to be the main focus, not the individual traits of a given minority character.
Actually, the first TLOU was a good example of how to do it right. Bill happened to be gay, but we learned that naturally during the story, getting to know him like we would anyone else. Just "Oh, he's gay. Okay." It was just a part of Bill that we learned about along the way, it was not this big presentation and song and dance. It was not a selling point for the game beforehand, like "look, we have a gay here, aren't we stunning and brave?" "Buy this game, because we have gay this and trans that and whatnot." "Oh, there's a story too, but have you seen the gay?". The ironic thing is, it seems that most members of minorities would like to be represented like Bill was, rather than be the center of attention and used as a tool to lecture the gaming community with. How is that normalizing? It's not, it's virtue signaling and it just creates more resentment towards these groups that don't need any more resentment in their lives and mostly didn't ask to be used in this way. They just want to play good games like the rest of us and occasionally see characters like themselves without a huge show being made about it. Just occurring normally. These companies do this for their own benefit, make no mistake, and they don't understand they are doing more harm than good. It's just stupid.
And this thing about Neil Druckmann and his physically overpowering female characters.. It almost feels like a personal fetish of his at this point, don't you think? Like Tarantino and his foot fetish. Just saying.. :)

Runa216 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Your failure to understand why people complain about the way those minorities are introduced in the game, although people in forums like this try to explain time and time again, is a huge part of the problem why we can't have discussions like this. It's like trying to explain something for a, well... 12 year old.

Really? you're gonna pull the immature 'you just don't understand' card? No, I understand, you need to take responsibility for your prejudices. It shouldn't matter how they're presented or brought forward, the same vitriol doesn't get thrown at any male straight cis characters, it's just bigots lashing out against progress. 

The sooner you accept this, the sooner we can have a mature discussion about it. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. 

Yep. I'm a bigot, I have a problem, you are 100% correct. I wonder why the world is so divided. As I always say, the ones asking for tolerance are the most intolerant of all.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Runa216 said:

Really? you're gonna pull the immature 'you just don't understand' card? No, I understand, you need to take responsibility for your prejudices. It shouldn't matter how they're presented or brought forward, the same vitriol doesn't get thrown at any male straight cis characters, it's just bigots lashing out against progress. 

The sooner you accept this, the sooner we can have a mature discussion about it. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. 

Yep. I'm a bigot, I have a problem, you are 100% correct. I wonder why the world is so divided. As I always say, the ones asking for tolerance are the most intolerant of all.

Wanting tolerance for minorities does not require that I also tolerate those who fight against their inclusion. If I fight for gay rights that doesn't require I tolerate those who would put gays into conversion camps or parents that kick their gay kids out of the house. 

Around the Network
Torillian said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Wanting tolerance for minorities does not require that I also tolerate those who fight against their inclusion. If I fight for gay rights that doesn't require I tolerate those who would put gays into conversion camps or parents that kick their gay kids out of the house. 

A common trend is people judging minorities for their lack of being offended by everything those minorities themselves always had to deal with and overcome their anger about it,they act like hate is justified and that it is not selfdestructive.

Even some people on here almost demand me to always hate and never outgrow my anger,what makes them so entitled to act like that while they can only stand on the sidelines and judge others?People that behave like that are no part of the solution.

It is almost a tolerated victimblaming.

Torillian said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Yep except Im none of the above mentioned, yet Im treated like one and im called names.

Anyway, life goes on, lets just keep separating each other more and more and be "tolerant".

EnricoPallazzo said:
Torillian said:

Yep except Im none of the above mentioned, yet Im treated like one and im called names.

Anyway, life goes on, lets just keep separating each other more and more and be "tolerant".

Stop trying to justify bigoted narratives if you don't want to be called a bigot. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Dante9 said:
You'd have to be blind not to see that ND's storytelling has suffered because of their agenda and the things they have to crowbar in there no matter what. Most gamers don't have a problem with minorities in games, but there's a wrong way and a right way to do these things. These characters need to be introduced organically within the story, but the story needs to be the main focus, not the individual traits of a given minority character.
Actually, the first TLOU was a good example of how to do it right. Bill happened to be gay, but we learned that naturally during the story, getting to know him like we would anyone else. Just "Oh, he's gay. Okay." It was just a part of Bill that we learned about along the way, it was not this big presentation and song and dance. It was not a selling point for the game beforehand, like "look, we have a gay here, aren't we stunning and brave?" "Buy this game, because we have gay this and trans that and whatnot." "Oh, there's a story too, but have you seen the gay?". The ironic thing is, it seems that most members of minorities would like to be represented like Bill was, rather than be the center of attention and used as a tool to lecture the gaming community with. How is that normalizing? It's not, it's virtue signaling and it just creates more resentment towards these groups that don't need any more resentment in their lives and mostly didn't ask to be used in this way. They just want to play good games like the rest of us and occasionally see characters like themselves without a huge show being made about it. Just occurring normally. These companies do this for their own benefit, make no mistake, and they don't understand they are doing more harm than good. It's just stupid.
And this thing about Neil Druckmann and his physically overpowering female characters.. It almost feels like a personal fetish of his at this point, don't you think? Like Tarantino and his foot fetish. Just saying.. :)

Ok. This is actually the best attempt at explaining the other side in the entire thread and I agree with 90%. I would much rather a black character be written to a character in the story vs written to be the token black character in the story. The originally Walking dead series by Telltale is a excellent example.

But how fucking childish and mentality under-developed do you have to be to have a video make you resent minorities? So video games are not responsible violence, but  can lead to minority resentment.

Ok. Noted.

Runa216 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Stop trying to justify bigoted narratives if you don't want to be called a bigot. 

People like you are hopeless, intolerant and with fascist views. As usual, the ones asking for tolerance are the most intolerant of all, the ones asking for respect are the most disrespectful. People like you only bring hate for the discussion and not open dialogue. Good riddance.

Last edited by EnricoPallazzo - on 22 June 2020