By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - J.K. Rowling Writes about Her Reasons for Speaking out on Sex and Gender Issues

DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

Well if a reader feels that they understand something the author is trying to convey, and the world they fall in love with is the embodiment of that, then to later find out that you may have misunderstood a lot of it, that this world you love and influenced your growing up is actually quite different than the one you imagined, then I can see why that can make people sad.

I can certainly understand being displeased by what an author says, but that doesn't really change the story. Be it people that became pissed when she revealed that Dumbledore was gay (certainly there is plenty of hints in the book), or people that get sad that she isn't an advocate for trans people that doesn't change the book.

Actually the interpretation of the book will change each time you read because you have changed as well. But there is a reason to not take opinion of others and even more of celebrities in account, because the only opinion that matters is yourself and at most the ones close that love you.

JWeinCom said:

Dude... look at how much people on this site get upset about things like people disagreeing with them about which video game machine they like best, and how defensive and hostile they can become towards people who like a different video game machine the best.  Or how people literally sometimes stab each other because someone dislikes their favorite sports teams.

People care very deeply when someone attacks something that is part of their identity, even a very trivial part. It's not hard to understand why people may get more upset about someone attacking (in their view at least) something that is a core part of their identity.

I understand it, and agree with you. And would you deny that people that act to this extreme doesn't need professional help to deal with their issues and improve in life?

Obviously not in the examples of people stabbing others, but feeling hurt because a person with significant influence that you perhaps held in high esteem is speaking out against something that's core to your personality... no I don't think that's a sign that one needs professional help.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
sundin13 said:

A central pillar of that "different opinion" regards what rights trans individuals should or should not have, coupled with a lot of stuff that sounds like the same bigoted dog-whistles that have been blown by those standing in the way of trans rights. It isn't just the opinion that upsets people, it is the effect of this opinion and the actions of people who share these opinions.

She just has a different opinion on what sex is and what makes a woman. She's never advocated for stripping trans rights or anything of that sort. Im not saying i agree eith her or anything cause honestly I dont cate that much but its its something I always see on Twitter. People have a different opinion thats not necessarily hateful and everyone tries to cancel them because its not what tbe mainstream sees as the proper opinion. 

She pretty explicitly advocated for the segregation of "biological" women and trans women when speaking about spaces traditionally segregated by sex (ie bathrooms and changing rooms), as well as supporting legal distinctions between sex and gender. While you could make an argument about whether you think these rights should be granted, you cannot make an argument that this isn't a question of trans rights. It is.

sundin13 said:
jason1637 said:

She just has a different opinion on what sex is and what makes a woman. She's never advocated for stripping trans rights or anything of that sort. Im not saying i agree eith her or anything cause honestly I dont cate that much but its its something I always see on Twitter. People have a different opinion thats not necessarily hateful and everyone tries to cancel them because its not what tbe mainstream sees as the proper opinion. 

She pretty explicitly advocated for the segregation of "biological" women and trans women when speaking about spaces traditionally segregated by sex (ie bathrooms and changing rooms), as well as supporting legal distinctions between sex and gender. While you could make an argument about whether you think these rights should be granted, you cannot make an argument that this isn't a question of trans rights. It is.

But he does not make that argument.

She's a cunt, and likely has always been a cunt. Much of the time when you get to know your heroes, you find out that they're all cunts too.
Even Ralph Fiennes apparently (who played Voldemort in Harry Potter).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Trans women aren't women. That's why we use the trans-prefix
Trans = NOT eg trans women = NOT a woman

What's so hard to understand?

Sorry (not sorry) if it's offensive but that's reality.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
jason1637 said:

There's no such thing as 'trans' tho.

You either make eggs or egg crackers.

If I lose my dick in a road cycle accident, that doesn't make me a woman.

Pyro as Bill said:
sundin13 said:

This linguistic argument is altogether fruitless both in its nature as strictly semantic and in its nature as idiotic.

"Trans" certainly exists in a linguistic sense. The terms "cis" and "trans" are utilized in several areas, one of which being Chemistry. These two terms are utilized to speak of different forms of the same molecule and how they are conformed in space. This is similar to how they are utilized to speak about trans identity. It speaks to different forms of the same concept.

That said, the utter irrelevance of your ravings strikes me. I explicitly stated that I was not making an argument which was predicated on any personal opinions regarding the validity of trans identity, so I will leave you here to tilt at windmills.

Have a night.

Cisalpine Gaul and Transalpine Gaul

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

sundin13 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

This linguistic argument is altogether fruitless both in its nature as strictly semantic and in its nature as idiotic.

"Trans" certainly exists in a linguistic sense. The terms "cis" and "trans" are utilized in several areas, one of which being Chemistry. These two terms are utilized to speak of different forms of the same molecule and how they are conformed in space. This is similar to how they are utilized to speak about trans identity. It speaks to different forms of the same concept.

That said, the utter irrelevance of your ravings strikes me. I explicitly stated that I was not making an argument which was predicated on any personal opinions regarding the validity of trans identity, so I will leave you here to tilt at windmills.

Have a night.

I'm a chem grad from the naughties so I was using cis and trans exactly as it was supposed to be used, thanks.

Identify as whatever you want but don't attempt to change reality for everybody else.