By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - To prepare for Infinite, I am playing through the entire Halo franchise (FINISHED)

Tagged games:

Ryuu96 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Finished Halo 3. Another very good game where the narrative really picks up towards the end. Really enjoyed the increased variety of enemies and weapon types. I’m only playing on Normal but the great Halo AI is still evident.

Overall story wise... why did the Covenant have to come to Earth to get to the Ark? So they get to the Ark and the Flood arrive as well. I am assuming all these brutes and Covenant still fighting, are still believers of all the religious stuff? Meanwhile humanity and the Flood want to stop them to prevent from being wiped out.

Why does the Oracle keep saying MS is a Forerunner or something? Maybe this comes up in later games.

I also started Halo 4. Holy shit, this was made on the same console as Halo 3? Seems impossible. Maybe it sacrifices some of the open structure of the older games for these graphics? They’re very good. And the sounds, amazing. Big step up from the Bungie Halo games. And sprint! 4 is off to a great start.

IIRC.

The only portal which leads directly to The Ark was on Earth.

Correct, Elites mostly, realised The Great Journey was nonsense and Prophets are just using them, the Covenant still fighting still believed in The Great Journey and all that nonsense, I think for Grunts/Hunters it is less about believing in it, more that The Covenant forced them into service by threatening to glass their planet.

Jackals are basically Space Pirates, so they don't give a crap and Brutes are stupid so they still believe in it.

Spark, I don't have a clue, apparently that was just old dialogue left in because the Terminals (added in last minute) in Halo 3 establish that Forerunners and Humanity are not the same. We can probably ignore it and just say Spark was a lunatic.

Spoiler!
Spoiler text. while not technically correct, in regards to mc being a forerunner, it is confirmed that while humanity aren't  forerunners the last of the forerunners declared humanity to be the inheritors of Forerunner tech, so  Spark and others see them that way .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. "Replayed" the whole series before playing Halo 5 (, which I'd owned for years but never played). I had an Xbox One X and wanted to see the series in the best way possible. Technically I was playing a few games for the first time, previously, I'd only beaten Reach, 3, and 4. During the replay, I only played 1-4, ODST, and 5. Reach was still being added to the MCC.

I didn't appreciate how good the series was the first time around. In fact, or seemed a bit overhyped and confusing. During the replay, everything fell into place.
Still never finished a "Wars" game, though.

From best to worst

Reach, 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, ODST. All were great except 5.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Is Halo 4 generally considered a bad campaign? Because I am at five of ten missions played and it might be my favorite campaign of the series so far. The sounds are infinitely better, like every weapon has more pop and impact. The combat is much more entertaining because of the machine enemies you fight (Prometheans I guess, still not far enough along to know what they are) require way more tactics and have way cooler weapons than the aliens you fight. And the graphics are just so good... I am having a hard time understanding that this was a 360 game. Maybe it’s had big Scorpio enhancements?

You and I agree. I loved H4. Don't know why it gets the hate. And one of the best looking games of that entire generation. 

Finished Halo 4. What an amazing game. I gotta say, it would have been a 10/10 for me easily but the last couple levels were doodoo. That jet mission where you're just flying with shitty controls trying to dodge walls closing around you, doodoo. And then the boss fight to end the game was literally all hand holding cinematic QTE type shit that was very popular at that time last gen. It is still pretty popular I guess. But what a let down. So I am docking a point from the score for that horse shit, so I give it a 9/10. Please tell me you get to fight Prometheans in Halo 5?

But playing this game got me more excited for Infinite because you can tell from the gameplay videos that the same crisp graphics, tight gunplay, and incredible sounds are present in that game. The levels in Halo 4 really felt less open and more linear, which I guess explains exactly how they were able to make the game look so goddamn good. But they still did a great job in keeping that core sandbox still shooting gameplay in the game. I can't wait to see what they did with Guardians, which IIRC I have a Legendary play through saved with a couple levels finished, but I'll restart to refresh myself on the story.

Man how in the fuck is Halo 5 a 100GB game

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Is Halo 4 generally considered a bad campaign? Because I am at five of ten missions played and it might be my favorite campaign of the series so far. The sounds are infinitely better, like every weapon has more pop and impact. The combat is much more entertaining because of the machine enemies you fight (Prometheans I guess, still not far enough along to know what they are) require way more tactics and have way cooler weapons than the aliens you fight. And the graphics are just so good... I am having a hard time understanding that this was a 360 game. Maybe it’s had big Scorpio enhancements?

You and I agree. I loved H4. Don't know why it gets the hate. And one of the best looking games of that entire generation. 

I feel a lot liked it upto the promethean's so I think the negatives I wouldn't call it hate, started with the promethean levels and lack of diversity now some like those levels but it turned out that a lot didn't at least halo 5 was consistent that was disliked from the beginning.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Cool. I did it for metal gear solid series a few years ago before the release of MGSV

I always wanted to do it as Im a HUGE destiny fan that never had an xbox and never played halo. I always wanted to experience where destiny came from.
By november I will decide if I will get an XSX or a PC and either way I will definitely play at least from CE to Reach.

Halo 4 started off strong but from mid-point to the end the level and mission design just wasn't that great.
Had nothing to do with the Prometheans as enemies as they were pretty good. CoD-style boss fight was of course piss poor.

Also the game is really short with only 8 levels compared to other Halo games. Would put it at the very bottom of my Halo list.

I just read Prometheans are in Halo 5. Very pumped.

Idk why I forgot about Halo 5, guess it’s been too long but I had completed two missions so I should have known Prometheans were there, you fight them in level one. Also Buck from ODST, I was surprised to see Nathan Fillion in Halo but obviously he’s in Halo 5.

Beat the first two levels again. Not a fan of these weird looking cut scenes. The heads look bizarre and don’t animate well imho. Especially the Spartans.

Gameplay is great though! More awesome Promethean fights, now looking better than ever. I dig the extended sprint (is it infinite?) and the Spartan rush moves it ground pound whatever but it seems hit or miss whether the game lets me do one or just does a regular melee.

Is who the main enemy is that they keep referring to. Ukrunda Cabra.

Actually never mind it’s that Jul Madam guy you kill in mission one.