By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2013 to 2020 1st party reception and sales battle - Redone

Shiken said:
Much better this time around, though I would have included Astral Chain and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE as Nintendo owns the IP.

In any case, it looks like Sony dominates GotY awards and has the highest overall average, while Nintendo dominates actual software sales and has the most games above not only 90, but between 80-90 as well. The average however is dragged down to the lowest due to a few stinkers they have let out as well. Meanwhile it also shows XBox lagging in general when it comes to 1st party, but we already knew that.

Upon reflection, it it clear why I have always been a Playstation gamer since the PS2 and why Nintendo has found its back into my home as my primary console. Both have done great over the years.

I may add, but I don't know all Nintendo IPs, and unfortunately none of these 2 titles were listed in any of the studios of Nintendo on Wikipedia. Even Mario Kart wasn't, but at least since it was on their summary of sales it was easy to list.

On the average sales it was very much closer than expected since Nintendo even having most of the heavy hitters since it also put a lot of titles it drops the average, Sony also get that effect due to high output on PS3 to increase variability, MS usually concentrate their releases on what they know will sell well the only unfortunate is that since they don't give numbers their totals and average is damaged.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Much improved and much more interesting! Nice job!

It still amazes me how Microsoft let their first party fall so badly. They were killing it during the early years of the 360, then just started slashing studios and letting third party partner studios slip away... can you imagine if Microsoft had bought BioWare instead of EA?

BOTW is EPD, not MonolithSoft.

BOTW is at 17.41M NSW and 1.61M Wii U for a total of 19.02M (VGC has 1.69 so maybe 19.10M).

Smash 2014 is at 14.96M when combined, not 12.96M.

Page 19 of 23

^^That will provide you a lot of updates for NSW titles through 03/2020 if you need them (FE Three Houses, etc.).

I would put "last updated xxx", cause a lot of the numbers for the Sony games are outdated but Sony hasn't given new numbers in >1 year.

mk7sx said:

BOTW is at 17.41M NSW and 1.61M Wii U for a total of 19.02M (VGC has 1.69 so maybe 19.10M).

Page 19 of 23

^^That will provide you a lot of updates for NSW titles through 03/2020 if you need them (FE Three Houses, etc.).

I would put "last updated xxx", cause a lot of the numbers for the Sony games are outdated but Sony hasn't given new numbers in >1 year.

Will use it. On the wiki BOTW was listed for 2 studios. And the BOTW on WiiU wasn't on the summary page so will reddo the sum. I can add the last updated but that would need another row and would crush the info, most cases the link is the last update received

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

MS has a lot of catching up to do.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Well on the other hand MS is the one that can improve the most.

DonFerrari said:
mk7sx said:

Page 19 of 23

Will use it. On the wiki BOTW was listed for 2 studios. And the BOTW on WiiU wasn't on the summary page so will reddo the sum. I can add the last updated but that would need another row and would crush the info, most cases the link is the last update received

Monolith did help on BOTW in a supplementary role, but they weren’t the primary developer.  Not sure it really matters in the end... they are both first party studios...

DonFerrari said:
KLXVER said:

Well on the other hand MS is the one that can improve the most.

That is true, makes it easy to show momentum.   I’m just not sure Microsoft as a corporation is super sold on gaming... 

Nintendo 1st-party games continue to do well in terms of sales and reception. No big surprise there.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Not particularly fair to just use Switch for Nintendo. It would make sense to use just the Wii U, or the Wii U and Switch. Wii U is 8th-Gen without debate. We're still debating on what Switch is. I say it's 9th Gen that came out mid-cycle of the competitor home consoles.

It looks like NSW/WiiU/3DS are all being counted?