5 46 31.51%

4 30 20.55%

3 25 17.12%

2 19 13.01%

1 24 16.44%

Not sure yet 2 1.37%

Total:146
Leynos said:

What a PS5 will look like after a few short years on your shelf and a lot of these in second hand shops

Why? My Wii is still as white as ever.

OT: I'm not a fan of the design. I'm all for better cooling though. My launch PS4 is far too loud.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
S.Peelman said:

Technically I could have a thousand PS5s in my home, but the places I’d want to put one of them are slim to none. The look and size of this thing would be a huge reason for me to pick an XBox over the PS5, because that one actually looks neutral, though it’s also not exactly on the small side.

Well if you could technically have a thousand PS5s then if you wanted any of those to play the games I'm sure you would find a way

As far as space is concerned, I mean I could fit about 20 on my coffee table alone. I didn’t mean to boast about money, I can’t afford a thousand PS5s.  

My stuff is still white but going into second-hand shops most white consoles have turned yelllow. The average consumer mistreats stuff esp in the US. A gaming forum crowd lives in a bubble.

Last edited by Leynos - on 19 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Bristow9091 said:
Leynos said:

My stuff is still white but going into second-hand shops most white consoles have turned yelllow. The average consumer mistreats stuff esp in the US. A gaming forum crowd lives in a bubble.

My dad isn't part of a gaming forum and his white consoles and tech things are all still white... maybe people should just learn the absolute basics of looking after their things?

I worked in second-hand shops and managed 1 for some years. I also game hunt a lot and finding a white system is rarer. Japanese shops it's usually better. Except it's a mixed bag on Super Famicoms. Heat and/or UV light reacts to a chemical in the plastic. White Saturns pop up a lot but every so often a yellow one creeps in.  In the US tho games and systems are heavily abused. Missing inserts. Cases. Scratched discs. Yellowed systems abundant. Oddly one thing I saw a lot is Wii's were fine except the panel for Gamecube controllers turned yellow. Just the panel door.  Then I don't even want to touch a smoker's system. That smell never gets out. One common issue with used consoles is dead bugs inside them. Cockroaches esp. The plastic yellowing mainly depends on how much heat or UV light it gets.

Somewhat unrelated but another issue with older electronics is those that had a rubberized surface. It deteriorates after a decade or so into a sticky gooey mess. An MS Zune from 2007 or some older Laptops or an OQO.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

But that's not what you said. You said that it'd turn yellow after "a few short years on your shelf".

You can do better dude.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
DonFerrari said:

Well if you could technically have a thousand PS5s then if you wanted any of those to play the games I'm sure you would find a way

As far as space is concerned, I mean I could fit about 20 on my coffee table alone. I didn’t mean to boast about money, I can’t afford a thousand PS5s.  

Well if you have that much space on coffee table but nothing on your TV space them perhaps you give more priority to your coffee area =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Leynos said:
Bristow9091 said:

My dad isn't part of a gaming forum and his white consoles and tech things are all still white... maybe people should just learn the absolute basics of looking after their things?

I worked in second-hand shops and managed 1 for some years. I also game hunt a lot and finding a white system is rarer. Japanese shops it's usually better. Except it's a mixed bag on Super Famicoms. Heat and/or UV light reacts to a chemical in the plastic. White Saturns pop up a lot but every so often a yellow one creeps in.  In the US tho games and systems are heavily abused. Missing inserts. Cases. Scratched discs. Yellowed systems abundant. Oddly one thing I saw a lot is Wii's were fine except the panel for Gamecube controllers turned yellow. Just the panel door.  Then I don't even want to touch a smoker's system. That smell never gets out. One common issue with used consoles is dead bugs inside them. Cockroaches esp. The plastic yellowing mainly depends on how much heat or UV light it gets.

Somewhat unrelated but another issue with older electronics is those that had a rubberized surface. It deteriorates after a decade or so into a sticky gooey mess. An MS Zune from 2007 or some older Laptops or an OQO.

I would think the bigger concern would be how many of those outward curving edges are going to be cracked/sides completely broken off in the future.  It just doesn't look to me like a product that is meant to last the test of time.

It looks like a router.

Mandalore76 said:
Leynos said:

I would think the bigger concern would be how many of those outward curving edges are going to be cracked/sides completely broken off in the future.  It just doesn't look to me like a product that is meant to last the test of time.

I've been wondering about the giant open venting on the top of the XBSX. How often will something get accidentally poured into the top of the case?

Then there's just the size and shape. How many people, kids especially, will try to sit on it when vertical, busting it off it's stand or worse?

Would have figured that MS had thought these possibilities through and built something more child/idiot proof.

MS did build a 'smaller PS5' that overheated, and PS4 'fixed' that by including 'jet engine powered' cooling, so, are we really shocked with these next gen designs?

My initial impression of the PS5’s look was that it was hideous, so I decided to wait a bit and mull over the design aesthetic before responding.

Unfortunately, I still really dislike the look and have rated it a 2/5. To me, the design doesn’t look futuristic but rather like a hackneyed attempt at channeling some sort of Futurism architectural design aesthetic (e.g. LAX’s Theme Building). In other words, I think the PS5 looks like a prop you might find in an American show from the 1960s that is trying to look like it’s from the 2000s (or some other temporally distant era). And I agree that the digital-only version looks better (because symmetry), but that version is not the version for me (a different thread topic, to be sure).

However, I will say that I do like what I understand to be the blue accented lighting along the PS5’s inner trim (this is the only reason I gave the design a 2/5 instead of 1/5). To be fair, my own aesthetic preferences tend to skew in favor of accent lighting in my electronic devices. In fact, while I disliked the look of every model of the PS4 overall, I really liked the light bar running along the top (if it's placed horizontally) of the original model with the glossy quarter-panel (the original original – not the all matte one). I then lamented the loss of this light accent on the PS4 slim and was naturally pleased to see it return on the PS4 Pro (albeit on a different side, in a different orientation, and with a luminescent gradient). I also found the light accent on the Wii’s disc drive extremely appealing (especially on the black Wii) and would have loved a setting to toggle it to stay on during gameplay.

I also have to admit that I chuckled at Leynos’s post/picture and have to agree with Leynos’s assertion regarding secondhand PS5s. As I noted in a different thread, I worked at a video game retailer for several years and, while my Wii and XB360 are still just as white as they were on day 1, many of those which were traded into the store, to put it charitably, were...much less so. Even now, as just a consumer, many (but not most) of the secondhand white consoles I see on shelves/in cabinets match my experience on the other side of the counter. While it will ultimately come down to how the materials Sony decides to use breakdown and/or how said materials' chemical compositions interact with the chemicals of consumer’s homes, habits, etc., I wouldn’t be surprised to see at least some systems in secondhand stores that approximate Leynos’s photo in a few years.

At any rate, how the system looks and whether it will eventually become discolored will obviously have no bearing on its ability to play games. The original Xbox was my favorite system of its generation, and I definitely think it was the ugliest amongst its contemporaries by quite a wide margin. :D

Last edited by GrahfsLament - on 17 July 2020

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall