By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your mind, what will the Xbox SX conference have to do to beat the PS5 conference?

Tagged games:

Answer the damned question!

Fantastic games 65 51.18%

100% backwards compatible with every Xbox 3 2.36%

VR Support 3 2.36%

Shockingly low price 21 16.54%

There's NOTHING they can do 31 24.41%

Other (please explain) 4 3.15%

Total:127
chakkra said:

I think I'm already biased bcuz I'm already more excited about XSX. But like I said in another thread, the problem with MS's approach is that they've been dropping their information little by little. I mean, they have already announced Halo, Hellblade 2, Everwild, Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics, Scorn, The Medium and The Ascent. That is eight games already announced, there is no way they will be able to match the number of exclusives in Sony's presentation.

I had forgotten about Second Extinction, Call of The Sea, and Project Mara, so that makes it ELEVEN games already announced. So yeah, there is no way they will be able to match the number of new games shown on Sony's presentation.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jaicee said:

Well I don't see how that would be advantageous. I'd have to replace my existing computer with a proper gaming PC and probably upgrade it regularly, which would probably be more expensive (I'm living on $9.39 an hour for perspective) , more time-consuming, and also is just a process I don't know how to do. I'm just a game-player, not a hardware expert. I'd much rather just buy a Series X this fall and reserve my computer for smaller Steam games that don't make it to consoles like I'm already doing. It sounds like a cheaper and easier option.

Actually much less than you might think if you buy a high-end graphics card.

A GTX 780Ti from late 2013 still has about the performance of a GTX 1660 today. While that's not high-end by any stretch anymore, that's still enough to play most games in 1080p with high details and 60 FPS and above PS4 PRO in performance.

When you then factor that

1. Online is free, and
  2. Games are generally cheaper on PC and have sales more often,

then gaming on the PC actually doesn't get any more expensive than console gaming does. A GPU doesn't need upgrades that often anymore (unless you want to always max out everything - but then you normally also resell your "old" hardware that you switched out), and you could still play just fine on a Sandy Bridge i7 CPU despite that chip being almost 10 years old by now.

If you buy a PC today with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 2060S/2070S or RX 5700(X) and mostly want to play in 1080p 60 FPS, then you're pretty much safe for the next 5 years at the very least. In fact, with at 2070S or 5700XT, you could expect to play those 5 years in 1440p and 60 FPS without much fuss.

Finally, your games don't expire on PC, so you don't need to re-buy games you had on the previous gen - and you can also buy games from that time (and even before) and they'll run just fine on your modern PC (with maybe a few exceptions).

@Jaicee

To back him up, that's basically what I've been running since I built my PC early 2014, along with an i7 4790K, and I've not had to upgrade or had any problem with a game yet. I thought about going to a 1440p monitor a few years back, but chose to stick with just a basic 1080p because I was more concerned about longevity with keeping high framerates.

Sure enough, I've had zero issue running any game at 60fps to date. Even recently as Gears Tactics, I can still get most of the settings to high with a locked 60fps in-game. But it's also different based on how optimised games are. Fallout 4 took me half a day messing around with settings to get a locked 60fps (and no screen stutter). But it's at least having that option, opposed to Fallout 4 on consoles which ran like dog day one, which make PC gaming so appealing.

For concerns on building a PC, if you have access to youtube you should have no issue. It's just lego for adults. With very expensive pieces.

d21lewis said:
One thing that concerns me about both M$ and Sony. I'm lying to myself if I say I'm not buying both consoles relatively early on. The thing is, even if they show a lot of games to get me excited, I'm not going to have the time to play them. I can't even find the time to play the games I have now.

And on top of that, games, consoles, and accessories are gonna be expensive! It's exciting but a little overwhelming.

First world problems...

I'm grateful for what was shown during the PS5 reveal, because while I still have interest buying one down the line, it basically confirmed that I won't be doing so for a while.

For starters, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'm buying one of those base models in the first couple years. I want to wait at least that long to see what the first owners of those systems experience, and whether my worries about it's form factor are overblown. But it's much more likely that I'll just wait out for a slim/pro re-model.

More importantly, I'm fairly certain most of the exclusives I'll be interested in won't be there within the first couple years. Maybe the Demon's Souls remake, which looks nice, but very unlikely Ratchet & Clank or Horizon 2 will, which were the two games from the showcase that truly blew me away.

LurkerJ said:
d21lewis said:

What are you taking about. Stop speaking in riddles, man!

It was a bad joke. And, to be honest, I missed both conferences but I went back and watched the Sony conference. To this day, I haven't watched the Xbox SX one (heard it was two days long, actually--but I forget) because the response was so underwhelming.

And I'm actually a much bigger fan of Xbox than I am of PlayStation!

DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

Are you sure? He said, "relatively early on." That sounds like "not exactly launch day" to me.

And you believe in him? This man will pre-order both consoles with a smile.

Nah. Truth be told, I didn't buy a PS4 until Tomb Raider DE came out and I didn't buy an Xbox One until it was $100 off and bundled with Titanfall a few months later. Nothing either system had at launch really made me feel like I needed one. I was just looking for a reason to take the plunge. If the PS5 and XSX have a "killer app'' on launch day, I potentially could buy one or both...

I did buy PS4 Pro and XBO X on launch day but I already had software that would benefit from both. Price and library are gonna decide this one.

I'll also say this: The early lead is gonna depend on who can produce the most product. They're both going to sell everything they can produce for at least a month. And, at least in my case, not being able to find a PS2 or a PS3 near launch led to my eventual purchase of the Dreamcast and Xbox 360--two consoles I had no interest in at the time. Nobody wants to "pull a Nintendo" and not have enough hardware to satisfy the fan base. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Lost Odyssey 2 would do it.

Has mystwalker even done anything this gen?  What happened to them?  Did they fold?

Ka-pi96 said:
gergroy said:

Has mystwalker even done anything this gen?  What happened to them?  Did they fold?

They're still around. Just stuck in mobile hell still unfortunately. And they're not even doing well there. Sad times

Sad, I really liked lost odyssey and the last story.  They should go back to consoles.  I know they were never a real developer, they farmed out all the programming and just focused on story and music, but still.  Those were some great games!  They should find a partner to help them realize their big ideas.

xbox already had their conference, what are you talking about?? Any how if they get a gta6 trailer and exlusiveity deal, might top ps5.

Last edited by KratosLives - on 15 June 2020

KratosLives said:

xbox already had their conference, what are you talking about?? Any how if they get a gta6 trailer and exlusiveity deal, might top ps5.

They have another one next month.

https://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft-confirms-the-next-xbox-series-x-video-event-is-set-for-july/

Well now that the dust has settled and we generally know what’s multiplat and what’s timed, I think myself and others are focused on the 1st party.

That’s GT7, R&C, Sackboy, Spiderman expansion, and the big hitter Horizon ZD which does look amazing. Is Returnal and Destruction All Stars also 1st party?

Well Xbox has the advantage of announcing games literally several months ago. We got Everwild, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Project Mara and of course Halo Infinite. So really all Xbox needs to do is show more of these games but also announce new titles. I and many others will more or less be “keeping score” so as long as Xbox has more 1st party games officially announced after their July conference they will be fine PR wise.

That said they can’t hold back. Forza 8 needs to answer to GT7, maybe FH 5. Obsidian, Initiative, and Playgrounds AAA games need to be revealed. Show us more of Hellblade 2, Halo, Project Mara, Everwild. And some smaller titles to round it all out. My moneys on Obsidian, people respect them so much.

Throw in some Series X rereleases like Gears 5, Sea of Thieves. Show that 60fps should be the standard over 30fps (someone who has played Halo at both and can confirm its night and day).

I’m pretty confident MS can deliver. Usually they go first and Sony adapts but this time they can adapt and really hit it out of the park. Sucks waiting thou

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.