By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your mind, what will the Xbox SX conference have to do to beat the PS5 conference?

Tagged games:

Answer the damned question!

Fantastic games 65 51.18%

100% backwards compatible with every Xbox 3 2.36%

VR Support 3 2.36%

Shockingly low price 21 16.54%

There's NOTHING they can do 31 24.41%

Other (please explain) 4 3.15%

Total:127
Jaicee said:

Well I don't see how that would be advantageous. I'd have to replace my existing computer with a proper gaming PC and probably upgrade it regularly, which would probably be more expensive (I'm living on $9.39 an hour for perspective) , more time-consuming, and also is just a process I don't know how to do. I'm just a game-player, not a hardware expert. I'd much rather just buy a Series X this fall and reserve my computer for smaller Steam games that don't make it to consoles like I'm already doing. It sounds like a cheaper and easier option.

Actually much less than you might think if you buy a high-end graphics card.

A GTX 780Ti from late 2013 still has about the performance of a GTX 1660 today. While that's not high-end by any stretch anymore, that's still enough to play most games in 1080p with high details and 60 FPS and above PS4 PRO in performance.

When you then factor that

1. Online is free, and
  2. Games are generally cheaper on PC and have sales more often,

then gaming on the PC actually doesn't get any more expensive than console gaming does. A GPU doesn't need upgrades that often anymore (unless you want to always max out everything - but then you normally also resell your "old" hardware that you switched out), and you could still play just fine on a Sandy Bridge i7 CPU despite that chip being almost 10 years old by now.

If you buy a PC today with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 2060S/2070S or RX 5700(X) and mostly want to play in 1080p 60 FPS, then you're pretty much safe for the next 5 years at the very least. In fact, with at 2070S or 5700XT, you could expect to play those 5 years in 1440p and 60 FPS without much fuss.

Finally, your games don't expire on PC, so you don't need to re-buy games you had on the previous gen - and you can also buy games from that time (and even before) and they'll run just fine on your modern PC (with maybe a few exceptions).

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 14 June 2020

Around the Network

One thing that concerns me about both M$ and Sony. I'm lying to myself if I say I'm not buying both consoles relatively early on. The thing is, even if they show a lot of games to get me excited, I'm not going to have the time to play them. I can't even find the time to play the games I have now.

And on top of that, games, consoles, and accessories are gonna be expensive! It's exciting but a little overwhelming.

First world problems...

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

OP asks about one conference beating another and you want to put 2 conferences to beat one that doesn`t really make any sense at all.

I wasn't talking to the OP though, I was talking to somebody who mentioned that Sony has announced 20 PS5 exclusives. I said that MS has already announced 9 first, second, or third party exclusives that will release on Xbox Series X (10 if you count Flight Simulator, which Microsoft said would later come to consoles, which likely includes Series X), so it wouldn't really be fair to expect MS to announce another 21 on the July show in order to top Sony's show. 

He said that for MS conference to top the Sony conference they would need to show 21 new exclusives. Then you reply to that wanting to use an older conference, makes absolutely 0 sense. You are the one that want to be unfair just to beat his number. Are you going to retro change when Sony do another conference and that have more exclusives? The talk is one conference against other not the sum of all conferences.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

d21lewis said:
One thing that concerns me about both M$ and Sony. I'm lying to myself if I say I'm not buying both consoles relatively early on. The thing is, even if they show a lot of games to get me excited, I'm not going to have the time to play them. I can't even find the time to play the games I have now.

And on top of that, games, consoles, and accessories are gonna be expensive! It's exciting but a little overwhelming.

First world problems...

Did you make your decision on which one to buy first yet? Or are you waiting for MS's next conference to decide?

chakkra said:
d21lewis said:

First world problems...

Did you make your decision on which one to buy first yet? Or are you waiting for MS's next conference to decide?

In his case I would say it only depends on which release first, he will buy both on the day of release =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
LurkerJ said:
Why are we pretending that MS didn't have a next-gen centered conference? I understand that it was a disappointment, but you can't brush it off just because it was webcam quality.

What are you taking about. Stop speaking in riddles, man!

DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

In his case I would say it only depends on which release first, he will buy both on the day of release =p

Are you sure? He said, "relatively early on." That sounds like "not exactly launch day" to me.

chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:

Are you sure? He said, "relatively early on." That sounds like "not exactly launch day" to me.

And you believe in him? This man will pre-order both consoles with a smile.

For me I don't care who wins as generally i buy all consoles for their 1st party games.

What will put me off is the BS stunt they pulled last gen (hence why I don't own one out of principle). DRM = NO BUY. Don;t care if they changed their mind later, was a stupid move and at that point I said fuck it skipping.

All they gotta do is show some good 1st part game and NO DRM and I will buy it regardless.

I don't think the focus should be about 'beating the PS5 event" necessarily; I thought the Sony event was great but it honestly wouldn't take much from them to at least hit the same level imo. Have a Halo Infinite gameplay demo similar to what Ratchet & Clank had, show a couple of brand new exclusives from your studios and partners, some new third party games, show the value of gamepass and backwards compatibility, and i'd say it's all set.

The difference is that the PS5 event had a lot of wow factor because of it being the first time we were seeing any PS5 games from Sony and even the console itself, whereas Microsoft has already done a lot of that but instead of having it all in one event they spread it out overtime to have a continuous stream of news. We already know what the Series X looks like and know a lot of the exclusive games for it so far: Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Everwild, Scorn, The Medium, etc. Perhaps if all of these had been announced for the first time in one event instead of spread out some would say that already matched or surpassed it, but you already know some people see these as non-surprising things now and will use that against it, which is pretty unfair but it is what it is.

But what I think they need to do overall is to show every first party game or partnered game they possibly can at this event, and I mean literally every one that is in any good possible state to be shown. I know Phil Spencer has said previously that he doesn't want to show games too far in advance, but they're not really in a position to be able to hold anything close to their chest right now. The Xbox One got hammered this entire gen for not having any real noticeable big first party presence for majority of its lifecycle, especially in comparison to Sony and Nintendo's incredible first party offerings, and they can't afford the same "Xbox has no games" narrative for the Series X, they need to crush that right out of the gate. Sony and Nintendo both have earned the luxury of not having to reveal everything because they've shown that they will not only deliver games but excellent games at that, their fans know they can expect it, Xbox has to prove this themselves now. I'm not saying show a CG trailer for example something like Compulsion's next game or something that could be 3-4 years out, by all means I don't expect every first party studio to be there, but just anything that is in any presentable state.