By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The difference between PlayStation and Xbox/Nintendo

okr said:
Count of words starting with innov in the OP: 6x for Sony, none for the two others.

Here‘s one more innovation: Just yesterday Sony announced the unique idea of an all-digital console. Never seen before.

Not since 11 years ago when they announced the PSP GO. 

Around the Network

The approach is wrong. Videogames are only a box and you use this box to play games. The games matter. Nintendo roots are arcade base game. Sony/Microsoft is a PC based game. Sony and Microsoft console all seem like a dumb down PC and Nintendo more alike an arcade in-home and universal format( when exaggerated, a toy, and carnivalesque).

Top Seller in Nintendo, normally, have arcade roots. 

On the other hand, Sony and Microsoft, the main sellers, such as GTA, have roots in the PC.

badskywalker said:

While I would say that Sony did bring some new concepts to the table, the main distinguishing factor is more that they focused on multimedia aspects of devices, PS1 doubled as a cd player while giving better deals to third parties, but it wasn't the first console to use discs, just as it wasn't the first console to have a 32 bit processor. The PS2 allowed for DVDs to be read, while adding the idea of backwards compatibility, whilst making the graphics better than both the PS1 and N64. The PSP acted in a similar light, allowing music on the go, as well as videos (I don't remember if I just downloaded that illegally, or if it was apart of the system). After this however, Sony more or less was the same as its competitor microsoft. Yes it did bring in more ideas, however these ideas were tried by its competitors, while PS2 had internet capabilities, I believe that the Xbox Live was better for the time.The wiimote had a speaker in it before the playstation had a controller that did.

Many of the things you pointed out about the PS3 and 4, in my eyes were just natural evolutionary steps, with the exception of the psmove (copied from wii), everything you listed for the PS3 was really related to graphics. The things about the PS4 was just minor things, I never really used the touchpad, actually I found it quite annoying, and using x86 was kinda a given for this era in gaming.

In short I believe Sony's biggest strength came not from innovation, but rather from being able to see what worked well and what didn't, it wasn't really innovating so much as copying and pasting. Does this make Sony a bad company? No, it makes them a great company. Does this make Sony innovative? No, there consoles are in an evolutionary pattern, building on the previous and ditching what it doesn't need. This does mean that as you stated, they do the good job of looking at what can be improved, but calling them innovative is a bit of a stretch.

Also N64 did a lot more than you give credit, with a rumble pack, analog stick (which sony copied), personalized controller memory, etc. It wasn't a single Idea console.

I will admit I own every nintendo console except the gameboy advance, but I also own a PS1,2, and 4, as well as an Xbox and Xbox 360. 

For your first post it is pretty god damn impressive.

Yeah I love how MS focused solely on graphics with the Xbox One. Oh wait....

If there was a disagree button, I would press it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

M$ is about online. They always have been, and always will be. Sure, the OG Xbox was powerful, but what it really brought to the table, what really put M$ on the map, was Halo and Xbox Live. From "The power of the Cloud" to Gamepass, basically everything they do is about pushing what can be done with online services. Heck, even though I expect we'll see a focus on more single-player experiences from M$ this coming gen, it's all wrapped up in the idea of providing more content for Gamepass in the end..

Nintendo is all about fun. I don't think there's really any other way to put it. They make games and systems that you can just pick up and immediately enjoy, both alone and with friends/ family. They basically make really awesome toys -- which is, imo, why they excel in providing certain gaming experiences that their competitors just can't hope to match.

Sony is basically vanilla. They do everything, and they do it damn well. It's really never a question of "why" to buy a Playstation, but rather why buy anything else. They used to rely on third parties, but during the PS3 gen they kinda reshaped their image, and now Sony's studios are second-to-none when in comes to cinematic experiences. On top of that, they have all the most popular games, plus guaranteed Japanese support. What's not to love?

TheMisterManGuy said:
0D0 said:
It's all about content most times. Nintendo is quite limited in terms of genres, third party content and has an expensive library. Xbox doesn't offer many exclusive experiences. PS has the best content for everyone (different genres, experiences, choices and prices) I think.

Nintendo isn't really that limited. None of the big three are. They all offer a wide range of games for different players. Some more than others granted, but I wouldn't call Nintendo or hopefully Xbox limited in genres. 

I didn't say Xbox is limited, only Nintendo. I also didn't say it is very limited, but more than the other 2.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Trunkin said:
M$ is about online. They always have been, and always will be. Sure, the OG Xbox was powerful, but what it really brought to the table, what really put M$ on the map, was Halo and Xbox Live. From "The power of the Cloud" to Gamepass, basically everything they do is about pushing what can be done with online services. Heck, even though I expect we'll see a focus on more single-player experiences from M$ this coming gen, it's all wrapped up in the idea of providing more content for Gamepass in the end..

Nintendo is all about fun. I don't think there's really any other way to put it. They make games and systems that you can just pick up and immediately enjoy, both alone and with friends/ family. They basically make really awesome toys -- which is, imo, why they excel in providing certain gaming experiences that their competitors just can't hope to match.

Sony is basically vanilla. They do everything, and they do it damn well. It's really never a question of "why" to buy a Playstation, but rather why buy anything else. They used to rely on third parties, but during the PS3 gen they kinda reshaped their image, and now Sony's studios are second-to-none when in comes to cinematic experiences. On top of that, they have all the most popular games, plus guaranteed Japanese support. What's not to love?

Your point about MS is quite spot on. MS has been indeed always concerned about delivering online experiences and a friend of mine who is an Xbox fan is always praising MS online capabilities.

Sony is definitely top notch high quality fair priced vanilla.

About Nintendo being about fun is something that I'd ask you to elaborate more. Fun is too broad to define them. All videogames are about being fun and all of them can be picked up and enjoyed. I know you're not being literal and I'm not trying to demean your argument, I just don't get your meaning of fun.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Trunkin said:

you said it, prety much nailed it.

Microsoft is about online
Sony is about Japanese and Western minds coming together in hardware and software
Nintendo is about difference in software and hardware

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima