By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict PS5 launch Price in EU/Dollars.

Physical: $499

Digital: $399

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:

I think this is almost certainly accurate.  That's probably about break even on the disk version, and a small loss on the diskless.  But, the diskless is better for them in the long run, so a subsidy on the front end makes sense.  This also allows them to push people toward digital without the bad PR that would come along with forcing it on everyone.  

Shiken said:

I also agree.

Shiken said:

you must be dreaming if you believe the ps5 will be 399, that ssd alone is worth at least 150 dollars.

Standard: €549.99/$599.99
All-Digital: €449.99/$499.99

However, if the All-Digital has a 2 TB SSD (rumors/speculation), I would say it would also be €549.99/$599.99.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Shiken said:

I think this is almost certainly accurate.  That's probably about break even on the disk version, and a small loss on the diskless.  But, the diskless is better for them in the long run, so a subsidy on the front end makes sense.  This also allows them to push people toward digital without the bad PR that would come along with forcing it on everyone.  

I doubt there will be a $100 difference just because it has a disc drive.  If anything, I could see them pricing the digital version for $399, just so they hit that price point again, while pricing the physical version at $449.

VAMatt said:
Shiken said:

The fact they delay games because of the physical copies show how important physical copies are. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Now I think it will be:
$450 No Dics
$550 With Disc

Pocky Lover Boy! 

They didn`t announce price, but since they had disc and discless version I`ll go 399 and 499 so even with Series S they won`t leave an opening. Price will probably be revealed by September if they can hold. They don`t want to reveal before MS and then have to cut. It will be much better to reveal later and let MS not be able to cut without looking greedy or desperated.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

trunkswd said:
thismeintiel said:

If anything, history shows that Sony is the one willing to take the loss, not MS.  Even just as recently as this gen, MS wouldn't drop the price of the XBO, even though the $499 price was killing it, until they could get BOM to a point where they were breaking even without the Kinect.  Then, they could have ended this gen with a bang with a $399 XBO X, but chose not to lose money on the HW.  Xbox is just not as important to MS as PS is to Sony.  Sony NEEDS PS5 to succeed, even if it means taking a hit at the beginning.  MS could just drop Xbox HW tomorrow and not bat an eye.

The losses from the PS3 wiped out the profits from the PS1 and PS2. Even at $599 they were still losing money per console sold. Sure this generation Microsoft wasn't willing to lose money per console, but they certainly did for the OG Xbox and Xbox 360. Microsoft was nearly giving up on Xbox this generation until Phil Spencer convinced the current CEO of MS the importance of the brand and he was then given the money to acquire so many studios. 

Sony always started the gen selling for a loss even on PS4. To break even they needed a retail game and PS+ sub. And Sony knows that they make the money on the SW and subs so losing 100 on the start of the gen and ensuring more profit later is their choice. They were even direct on PS4 that their objective was to accelerate sales. They didn`t cut the PS4 price a second time because the sales curve was already fantastic, but expect PS5 to be priced agressively.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."