By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict PS5 launch Price in EU/Dollars.

Ryotsu said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

Some hours before the luckily official announcement of launch date and price:

My guess 

PS5 1TB 499 EU/ 499 USD.

PS5 2TB 599 EU/599 USD.

Yours ?

This price

PS5 2TB for me, thanks

I repeat, there isn't and there won't be any 2 TB ps5, period, different tech, it will start with 825gb, next year we might get one with 1.6tb, but that will be very costly as these new ssd are very expensive.



Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
I'm hoping for a mic drop $399, again. But, I could see them launching at $449. Supposedly, that's the BOM for the console, so I can definitely see Sony, as usual, launching at a slight loss. I think Series X will be $499-$549.

449dollars is impossible, at 500 they will already be selling at a loss, they can't push it to 450 unfortunately.



I bet US$ 449,00 for a basic model and US$ 549 for a premium version. But that's just wishful thinking, the safest bet is what the OP said.



Starting from 499$/499€



 

trunkswd said:
$499. Anything above that for the PS5 (or Xbox Series) will lead to slow start to the next generation. Sure the hardcore fans will still buy it at launch, but sales will drop like rock once we get past the first holiday.

Even $499 is a bit high, considering the economical moment the world is living. 

I wonder if Sony and MS are willing to take losses to have launch prices lower. 



Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:
trunkswd said:
$499. Anything above that for the PS5 (or Xbox Series) will lead to slow start to the next generation. Sure the hardcore fans will still buy it at launch, but sales will drop like rock once we get past the first holiday.

Even $499 is a bit high, considering the economical moment the world is living. 

I wonder if Sony and MS are willing to take losses to have launch prices lower. 

Microsoft is likely more willing to take a loss. PlayStation is where Sony gets a lot of its revenue and profits from, while Xbox is rather small when compared to other divisions at Microsoft. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

victor83fernandes said:
thismeintiel said:
I'm hoping for a mic drop $399, again. But, I could see them launching at $449. Supposedly, that's the BOM for the console, so I can definitely see Sony, as usual, launching at a slight loss. I think Series X will be $499-$549.

449dollars is impossible, at 500 they will already be selling at a loss, they can't push it to 450 unfortunately.

If the BOM is truly $450, then at $500 they would either be breaking even or possibly making a slight profit.  $449 is not impossible.  Hell, $399 isn't impossible if Sony wants to take a $75-$100 loss to help ensure next gen is in the bag.



trunkswd said:
zumnupy10 said:

Even $499 is a bit high, considering the economical moment the world is living. 

I wonder if Sony and MS are willing to take losses to have launch prices lower. 

Microsoft is likely more willing to take a loss. PlayStation is where Sony gets a lot of its revenue and profits from, while Xbox is rather small when compared to other divisions at Microsoft. 

If anything, history shows that Sony is the one willing to take the loss, not MS.  Even just as recently as this gen, MS wouldn't drop the price of the XBO, even though the $499 price was killing it, until they could get BOM to a point where they were breaking even without the Kinect.  Then, they could have ended this gen with a bang with a $399 XBO X, but chose not to lose money on the HW.  Xbox is just not as important to MS as PS is to Sony.  Sony NEEDS PS5 to succeed, even if it means taking a hit at the beginning.  MS could just drop Xbox HW tomorrow and not bat an eye.



thismeintiel said:
trunkswd said:

Microsoft is likely more willing to take a loss. PlayStation is where Sony gets a lot of its revenue and profits from, while Xbox is rather small when compared to other divisions at Microsoft. 

If anything, history shows that Sony is the one willing to take the loss, not MS.  Even just as recently as this gen, MS wouldn't drop the price of the XBO, even though the $499 price was killing it, until they could get BOM to a point where they were breaking even without the Kinect.  Then, they could have ended this gen with a bang with a $399 XBO X, but chose not to lose money on the HW.  Xbox is just not as important to MS as PS is to Sony.  Sony NEEDS PS5 to succeed, even if it means taking a hit at the beginning.  MS could just drop Xbox HW tomorrow and not bat an eye.

The losses from the PS3 wiped out the profits from the PS1 and PS2. Even at $599 they were still losing money per console sold. Sure this generation Microsoft wasn't willing to lose money per console, but they certainly did for the OG Xbox and Xbox 360. Microsoft was nearly giving up on Xbox this generation until Phil Spencer convinced the current CEO of MS the importance of the brand and he was then given the money to acquire so many studios. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

thismeintiel said:
trunkswd said:

Microsoft is likely more willing to take a loss. PlayStation is where Sony gets a lot of its revenue and profits from, while Xbox is rather small when compared to other divisions at Microsoft. 

If anything, history shows that Sony is the one willing to take the loss, not MS.  Even just as recently as this gen, MS wouldn't drop the price of the XBO, even though the $499 price was killing it, until they could get BOM to a point where they were breaking even without the Kinect.  Then, they could have ended this gen with a bang with a $399 XBO X, but chose not to lose money on the HW.  Xbox is just not as important to MS as PS is to Sony.  Sony NEEDS PS5 to succeed, even if it means taking a hit at the beginning.  MS could just drop Xbox HW tomorrow and not bat an eye.

No, they couldn't. 399$ XBO X wouldn't really have changed that much for how this gen ended up. It was already too late for MS to win some significant marketshare back by having a price parity with Sony on a niche mid gen refresh side. They could have made some great critically acclaimed first party games instead and it would have made even more difference than selling this niche console for 399$.