By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hinted possible PS5Pro even before showing PS5

Dallinor said:
KLXVER said:

How do you calculate that? How much does Sony make per PS4 Pro sold?

Take the number of PS4's sold since PS4 pro launch- divide by a quarter- then multiply by the difference in the Pro selling price -which is $100.

(At 1 in 5 PS4's that's around - $1.18 billion)

I've no idea how much profit they make per unit but you can see why the incentive is there. The bump to hardware revenue vs the R&D costs is likely huge.

Its a difficult one since we don't know what the PS4 would have sold if the Pro was never released. Im sure they made a good profit. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it again.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
DonFerrari said:

There isn't much reason for them even if I have bought.

The point isn't to sell more HW, it is to sell more SW, and if making the mid-gen upgrades (possibly they were expecting sales to slow down because of the discrepancy against PC and Slim not being so much smaller anymore) they can increase SW sales they would do it.

Companies try to please as many customers as possible and hardly you'll see a single model sold by a company in any market, so midgen upgrade is still a easy to see baseline, easy to use, and ensure every game will work fine so going to PC doesn't replace that.

Sometimes we just have to accept that practices we think are bad (like paid multiplayer) is acceptable or even desired by majority of market and companies will go after it either totally or as part of their business.

Will it move more software though? Im just not sure about that.

Who is going "God Of War is finally playable for me now" seeing the PS4 Pro. Seems like there are two kinds of people who upgrade. Some do so in order to play the games they already own to see them look and play better. Or the people who would already buy the PS4, but might as well buy the PS4 Pro since it can do more.

I mean are there that many people who buy games they wouldn't have otherwise because now they can play them in a higher resolution or a better frame rate?

Of course it will, "no one" buy a console and not buy games for it.

Just look at the curve for HW and SW sales and you can see that Pro have given additional sales in HW and SW. 20% of purchases being Pro even having to put 100 or more extra bucks on the HW show that some people wouldn't get PS4 if not for Pro (they could likewise go MS if Sony didn't had a new stuff for them).

KLXVER said:
Dallinor said:

A few bucks?

(If we go with 1 in 4 PS4's since Pro launch) that equates to roughly somewhere in the region of an additional $1.475 billion in hardware revenue.

The money made from the HW itself isn't the most important, the additional SW is, look below.

Dallinor said:
KLXVER said:

Take the number of PS4's sold since PS4 pro launch- divide by a quarter- then multiply by the difference in the Pro selling price -which is $100.

(At 1 in 5 PS4's that's around - $1.18 billion)

I've no idea how much profit they make per unit but you can see why the incentive is there. The bump to hardware revenue vs the R&D costs is likely huge.

Add to that  the average amount of SW bought per console is 12, and per game Sony is taking like 15 buck in royalties (even more for first party titles)...

So let's use your figure of like 12M PS4Pro sold. That would be 144M SW sold and almost 22B in revenue.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I could see a PS5 Pro centred around improved ray tracing. Resolution jump this time won't be a selling point. But I could see a pro not happening.

Otter said:
I could see a PS5 Pro centred around improved ray tracing. Resolution jump this time won't be a selling point. But I could see a pro not happening.

Something like instead of doubling the GPU and that providing a little more than twice the Tflop, use the same formfactor and the space due to reduction in node be used to RTX cores?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

Something like instead of doubling the GPU and that providing a little more than twice the Tflop, use the same formfactor and the space due to reduction in node be used to RTX cores?

Sure, I have no idea of the engineering implementation  tbh lol

Around the Network
Otter said:
DonFerrari said:

It does make sense, perhaps some Tflop gain will be made as well, but not to be used for resolution. Unless of course 8k TVs become relevant in 3 years (I doubt).

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

It does make sense, perhaps some Tflop gain will be made as well, but not to be used for resolution. Unless of course 8k TVs become relevant in 3 years (I doubt).

I really doubt 8k will become relevant in the next decade let alone 3 years. For 99% of consumer size TVs,  home set ups, laptops etc it's simply not needed. Of course it'll be pushed at consumers as a reason to upgrade but unlike 4k there is no justifiable investment reward from content creators. We will see nice upscalling/reconstruction for 8k displays but nothing major from content creators imo. I don't expect 8k Blurays or streaming to become a mainstream thing this decade, aside from the diminishing returns, we still can't even cater to 4k well enough and are like 5 years from it being normalised in content streaming/broadcasting (youtube/netflix/tv)

Eh, while I did end up upgrading to the mid gen upgrades for PS4 and Xbox One, I can't say it's something I would want to continuously do every gen but we'll see when/if it happens.

Otter said:
DonFerrari said:

I really doubt 8k will become relevant in the next decade let alone 3 years. For 99% of consumer size TVs,  home set ups, laptops etc it's simply not needed. Of course it'll be pushed at consumers as a reason to upgrade but unlike 4k there is no justifiable investment reward from content creators. We will see nice upscalling/reconstruction for 8k displays but nothing major from content creators imo. I don't expect 8k Blurays or streaming to become a mainstream thing this decade, aside from the diminishing returns, we still can't even cater to 4k well enough and are like 5 years from it being normalised in content streaming/broadcasting (youtube/netflix/tv).

On content creator you mean game devs right? Because content creator still don't even use 1080p as standard on TV, and for movies/streaming very few use 4k.

But Sony still is a electronics manufacturer and that includes TVs. So if they can use PS5Pro to push 8k they will.

DonFerrari said:
Otter said:

I really doubt 8k will become relevant in the next decade let alone 3 years. For 99% of consumer size TVs,  home set ups, laptops etc it's simply not needed. Of course it'll be pushed at consumers as a reason to upgrade but unlike 4k there is no justifiable investment reward from content creators. We will see nice upscalling/reconstruction for 8k displays but nothing major from content creators imo. I don't expect 8k Blurays or streaming to become a mainstream thing this decade, aside from the diminishing returns, we still can't even cater to 4k well enough and are like 5 years from it being normalised in content streaming/broadcasting (youtube/netflix/tv).

On content creator you mean game devs right? Because content creator still don't even use 1080p as standard on TV, and for movies/streaming very few use 4k.

But Sony still is a electronics manufacturer and that includes TVs. So if they can use PS5Pro to push 8k they will.

Unless I'm mistaking PS5 already supports 8k. But yeah, if there is a pro there's no doubt it will be better at that function then the standard system, I just don't think they'll be a pro marketed and designed around 8k, not the same way 4Pro and Xbox One X were based of 4k.