By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch shipped 55.77m by March 31st. Lifetime sales expectations?

Nintendo Switch shipped 55.77m by March 31st. Lifetime sales expectations?

Less than 80 million 71 5.77%

80.0 - 89.9 million 87 7.07%

90.0 - 99.9 million 148 12.02%

100.0 - 109.9 million 322 26.16%

110.0 - 119.9 million 228 18.52%

120.0 - 129.9 million 191 15.52%

130.0 - 139.9 million 60 4.87%

140.0 - 149.9 million 28 2.27%

150.0 - 160.0 million 21 1.71%

More than 160 million 75 6.09%

Total:1,231

If it goes 6 years without a sequel, 115 mil. 7 years, 130 mil, 8 years 145 mil.

And by sequel I don't mean a PS4 pro/Xbox X level upgrade but a giant leap forward. Also by sequel I mean them sticking with the Switch concept. If they go a radical new direction and, particularly if that direction fails, I expect the Switch 1 to reach even higher levels.

Around the Network

Maybe it's a little low but 110-120 million

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

You had me up until the last paragraph.

Once a new system comes out, I want Nintendo to make exclusives that take full advantage of it and give me a reason to upgrade. Provided they give the Switch til 2023 before replacing it, I'll be ready to move on and won't want future games held back by what by then will be nearly decade-old hardware.

Other than Zelda and Splatoon, which of Nintendo's big games would be held back by Switch?

Metroid, Fire Emblem (though Three Houses could have looked better as is anyway), Xenoblade, potential for Smash.

And then we have 3rd party collaboration projects like a potential Bayonetta 4, Astral Chain 2, and Daemon X Machina.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Other than Zelda and Splatoon, which of Nintendo's big games would be held back by Switch?

Metroid, Fire Emblem (though Three Houses could have looked better as is anyway), Xenoblade, potential for Smash.

And then we have 3rd party collaboration projects like a potential Bayonetta 4, Astral Chain 2, and Daemon X Machina.

Zelda and Metroid (assuming it becomes big) can release on both systems like Zelda often does. Splatoon can come later or have an increased player count for the Switch 2 version. Smash had a 240p version on 3DS while WiiU had a compatible 1080p version so there's no excuses for it not to have cross gen support and cross play support.

Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, SMB, Pokemon, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, RFA-esque games and more can all have at least one cross-gen installment.

All Nintendo has to do is upgrade the tablet at a reasonable price. From now on, if they want to gamble the whole company on a new controller-software gimmick they can just make a special joycon instead. The Pro Controller and joycons should be the standard now and Switch should continue getting Switch 2's lower end games for years.

They have an opportunity to retake the living room again and (possibly) hold it permanently with Netflix and a few other apps. They could also become the household's sturdy, long life tablet with TV-out (a feature most Switch owners pay an extra $100 for) if they just deliver a few party/multiplayer games once or twice a year for birthdays/holidays. If they're online enabled games and Nintendo Online stays around, they can reap the subscriptions from a dead console too.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

You had me up until the last paragraph.

Once a new system comes out, I want Nintendo to make exclusives that take full advantage of it and give me a reason to upgrade. Provided they give the Switch til 2023 before replacing it, I'll be ready to move on and won't want future games held back by what by then will be nearly decade-old hardware.

All of them I would hope; I want Nintendo's big games on Switch 2 to do things not workable on Switch 1. I don't want just last gen games with more pixels and better particles. 

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

Zelda and Metroid (assuming it becomes big) can release on both systems like Zelda often does. Splatoon can come later or have an increased player count for the Switch 2 version. Smash had a 240p version on 3DS while WiiU had a compatible 1080p version so there's no excuses for it not to have cross gen support and cross play support.

Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, SMB, Pokemon, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, RFA-esque games and more can all have at least one cross-gen installment.

All Nintendo has to do is upgrade the tablet at a reasonable price. From now on, if they want to gamble the whole company on a new controller-software gimmick they can just make a special joycon instead. The Pro Controller and joycons should be the standard now and Switch should continue getting Switch 2's lower end games for years.

They have an opportunity to retake the living room again and (possibly) hold it permanently with Netflix and a few other apps. They could also become the household's sturdy, long life tablet with TV-out (a feature most Switch owners pay an extra $100 for) if they just deliver a few party/multiplayer games once or twice a year for birthdays/holidays. If they're online enabled games and Nintendo Online stays around, they can reap the subscriptions from a dead console too.

Zelda has only ever done that on two systems with TP and BOTW, with a sequel to BOTW on the way the mainline game after that very much has to be for the next platform they have planned to give it an early flagship, NS at that point wouldn't really require such a flagship title while third parties could continue to make cross gens.

curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

All of them I would hope; I want Nintendo's big games on Switch 2 to do things not workable on Switch 1. I don't want just last gen games with more pixels and better particles. 

Agreed. By big I meant sales not scope.

If Switch 1 can only do 8 players on Splatoon 3 while Switch 2 does 32, that's fine but it's a bit hypocritical to expect 3rd parties to downgrade their 'next-gen' games when Nintendo isn't willing to do it themselves.

Let's not forget the HH gang. Pokemon has just gone 3D and that usually signals Nintendo fucking up another major IP (while simultaneously creating a good spinoff). How about we slow down and give them the opportunity to roll back on any mistakes they might make before upgrading down a dumb path?

BoTW could have run on the 360 and been on PC's 2-3 years earlier than that. Let's ignore gaming revolutions Fortnite, Minecraft, Wii Sports and GTA Online all running on ancient/underpowered hardware. Warcraft was raking in billions in subs on potatoes and toasters.

The more we push for power, the less new games we get and the less opportunity devs have to experiment. We get 1 or 2 games in a series per generation instead of trilogies. Good gameplay mechanics are left unexplored because 4K textures are more important and the sequel is due.

What exactly is x4-8 the power gonna do for SMB and MK if we're staying at 1080p? The Zeldas, Metroids, 3D Marios, Xenoblades I can understand but with all due respect, eff the people who think the casual crowd should subsidise their low selling games.

Pyro as Bill said:
curl-6 said:

If Switch 1 can only do 8 players on Splatoon 3 while Switch 2 does 32, that's fine but it's a bit hypocritical to expect 3rd parties to downgrade their 'next-gen' games when Nintendo isn't willing to do it themselves.

Let's not forget the HH gang. Pokemon has just gone 3D and that usually signals Nintendo fucking up another major IP (while simultaneously creating a good spinoff). How about we slow down and give them the opportunity to roll back on any mistakes they might make before upgrading down a dumb path?

BoTW could have run on the 360 and been on PC's 2-3 years earlier than that. Let's ignore gaming revolutions Fortnite, Minecraft, Wii Sports and GTA Online all running on ancient/underpowered hardware. Warcraft was raking in billions in subs on potatoes and toasters.

The more we push for power, the less new games we get and the less opportunity devs have to experiment. We get 1 or 2 games in a series per generation instead of trilogies. Good gameplay mechanics are left unexplored because 4K textures are more important and the sequel is due.

What exactly is x4-8 the power gonna do for SMB and MK if we're staying at 1080p? The Zeldas, Metroids, 3D Marios, Xenoblades I can understand but with all due respect, eff the people who think the casual crowd should subsidise their low selling games.

Beyond scope and such, Switch 2 will fail if people can get all the games on Switch 1; people need to be made to upgrade for Nintendo to have a future in the hardware business. 

Wyrdness said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Zelda has only ever done that on two systems with TP and BOTW, with a sequel to BOTW on the way the mainline game after that very much has to be for the next platform they have planned to give it an early flagship, NS at that point wouldn't really require such a flagship title while third parties could continue to make cross gens.

Yeah, no.

BoTW was a WiiU game. Switch deserves at least 2 more Zelda games even if only one more is exclusive. The last one can be cross-gen and 720p/20fps docked on Switch 1 if need be while Switch 2 gets what? 4K version and faster loading?

Idgaf about 3rd parties. I've only ever bought the winning Nintendo consoles at launch so if they want to keep winning they need to appeal to me and ignore the Gamecube/WiiU crowd.

curl-6 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Beyond scope and such, Switch 2 will fail if people can get all the games on Switch 1; people need to be made to upgrade for Nintendo to have a future in the hardware business. 

I'm not sure that's as true anymore. What if we've all been upgrading 3-5 years earlier than necessary just because devs/console makers chase the self fulfilling hardware sales curve?