Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country series vs 2D Mario series

Which is better?

Donkey Kong Country series 16 34.04%

2D Mario series 31 65.96%

Total:47
Captain_Yuri said:
trunkswd said:

I'd be interested in it for sure. I still need to pick up Mario Maker 2. I'm waiting for it to be $30 or less as I've never been a big 2D Mario fan. For me I grew up on 2D Sonic, but swapped to 3D Mario with the N64. 

Mmm one of the things that I do like about Mario Maker 2 are the pre-made levels by Nintendo. They have a good amount of charm to them that sometimes feels absent when trying a lot of the online levels. They are short, sweet and unique.

Good to know there are some pre-made levels. I do enjoy some of the older 2D Mario titles, but am not a fan of the New series. Something about them just feel generic. I get the same feeling with the new Donkey Kong Country games. Hard to explain. With the Switch I have played through Mario Bros 3 and Mario World.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

I only liked the first DKC. Last good 2D Mario was World and that is IMO best game in the series period. NSMB games are mediocre at best. So 2D Mario.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That's difficult, classic 2d mario has the edge of over classic dkc, but modern dkc blows modern 2d mario out of the water. I'll give it to dkc because tropical freeze is the goat 2d platformer in my eyes.

2D Mario because as good as DK games are classic 2D Mario (SMB, SMB3, SMW, SMW2:YI) beats it out, TF is the best 2D platformer overall though.

I prefer Donkey Kong Country games because of how much more variety they tend to have in platforming sections. 2D Mario games got kind stale after New Super Mario Bros. U.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Mmm one of the things that I do like about Mario Maker 2 are the pre-made levels by Nintendo. They have a good amount of charm to them that sometimes feels absent when trying a lot of the online levels. They are short, sweet and unique.

Good to know there are some pre-made levels. I do enjoy some of the older 2D Mario titles, but am not a fan of the New series. Something about them just feel generic. I get the same feeling with the new Donkey Kong Country games. Hard to explain. With the Switch I have played through Mario Bros 3 and Mario World.

Well... sort of... 

There are pre-made levels, but to a large extend, the point of them is to show you neat things you can do with various tools.  They're designed as much as tutorials as actual levels.  

While I haven't thought much about it I guess I actually do prefer DKC. Only played the original trilogy, but I pretty much liked those games more than any mainline 2D Mario.

3D Mario > DKC (2D) > 2D Mario games.

Also if you look at resent 2D mario games, vs resent DKC games, its not even close.
tropical freeze is such a fantastic platformer, that no 2D mario game even comes close.

I'd take Super Mario over DKC. And even then, I'm mostly taking the older games into account here - anything post SNES doesn't really stand up against the classics (for either series). Both fantastic, but I've always preferred Mario's level design and general presentation.

I think Donkey Kong in general is one of Nintendo's finest franchise, but in this contest Super Mario wins. It's a question of numbers. We're talking five games versus, what, 13? And two of those 13 -- Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World -- are two of the best games ever made.