By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country series vs 2D Mario series

Which is better?

Donkey Kong Country series 16 34.04%

2D Mario series 31 65.96%

Total:47

Which sidescroller series do you think in the better one overall, and why?

EDIT: For the purposes of this thread, only the mainline 2D Marios count, not the Mario Maker series.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 May 2020

Around the Network

2D Mario all way! I love platform games but something about 2D Mario that makes it more magical for me.

It's not that simple.

Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Country Returns 2, and Tropical Freeze are all fantastic.

I really can't choose. But the DKC trilogy and Super Mario Bros 3 are four of my favourite games of all time. The Super Mario games made a bigger mark on history, but the DKC games were probably the second or third (after Sonic) most impactful 2D platformers in gaming history.

The DKC trilogy were the last games that really blew my mind from a graphical standpoint. It saddens me that the franchise has fallen from the most cutting edge platformer series to a throwback B-series. It really deserves a Galaxy/Breath of the Wild caliber release.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 30 May 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Are we counting Mario Maker? Cause there are some hot damn levels in those and obviously in the usual games as well.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Are we counting Mario Maker? Cause there are some hot damn levels in those and obviously in the usual games as well.

That gives me an idea. Donkey Kong Country Maker. Yay? Nay? Like with Mario Maker it would have the different styles. 

Yea I'd play that for sure although there might be a bit too much overlap in design.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

For the purposes of this thread let's say the Maker series is separate and we're talking about the mainline 2D games.

trunkswd said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea I'd play that for sure although there might be a bit too much overlap in design.

I'd be interested in it for sure. I still need to pick up Mario Maker 2. I'm waiting for it to be $30 or less as I've never been a big 2D Mario fan. For me I grew up on 2D Sonic, but swapped to 3D Mario with the N64. 

Mmm one of the things that I do like about Mario Maker 2 are the pre-made levels by Nintendo. They have a good amount of charm to them that sometimes feels absent when trying a lot of the online levels. They are short, sweet and unique.

I only liked the first DKC. Last good 2D Mario was World and that is IMO best game in the series period. NSMB games are mediocre at best. So 2D Mario.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That's difficult, classic 2d mario has the edge of over classic dkc, but modern dkc blows modern 2d mario out of the water. I'll give it to dkc because tropical freeze is the goat 2d platformer in my eyes.