By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - PS5 Games Event - Postponed To Support Protests - Rescheduled Date TBD

Fei-Hung said:
Let's also not forget, Google and EA have already made similar announcements with delaying a game and their new OS.

Let's also not forget that Anonymous are back and considering Sony got hacked in the past, they will not want to anger any hacktivist group.

The HK situation they didn't back as they didnt want to fight a losing war against China where they could lose possible future business partnerships. Same as any other cou try facing similar issues - Muslims, Christians and Sikhs in India, Palestinian Muslims and Christians in Palestine etc. This is racism on their front door possibly affecting their staff and their staffs families during a point in tiem when the whole world is in lockdown in a place where there is a fascist, racist and sexist man in charge abusing his power. Its the perfect recipe for disaster and it would be wise for any company to their little bit as that is all that it is.

If you were asked today to make a choice of standing by the movement or putting on a show to detract from an issue that has been plaguing the black community for centuries, no one here would want to say otherwise. It might be one those moments where you look back and when your kids ask you where you stood, you can say you stood on the right side. This is a reason why not just Sony, but many companies are taking a similar approach.

You are reading way too much into this.

Do you really think megacorps like Sony care? They don't want their event to be overshadowed by the riots and clashes with George Floyd memorial. It makes sense since you don't really want to show your new product to the world when this is pretty much everywhere.

Around the Network
hinch said:
Fei-Hung said:
Let's also not forget, Google and EA have already made similar announcements with delaying a game and their new OS.

Let's also not forget that Anonymous are back and considering Sony got hacked in the past, they will not want to anger any hacktivist group.

The HK situation they didn't back as they didnt want to fight a losing war against China where they could lose possible future business partnerships. Same as any other cou try facing similar issues - Muslims, Christians and Sikhs in India, Palestinian Muslims and Christians in Palestine etc. This is racism on their front door possibly affecting their staff and their staffs families during a point in tiem when the whole world is in lockdown in a place where there is a fascist, racist and sexist man in charge abusing his power. Its the perfect recipe for disaster and it would be wise for any company to their little bit as that is all that it is.

If you were asked today to make a choice of standing by the movement or putting on a show to detract from an issue that has been plaguing the black community for centuries, no one here would want to say otherwise. It might be one those moments where you look back and when your kids ask you where you stood, you can say you stood on the right side. This is a reason why not just Sony, but many companies are taking a similar approach.

Do you really think megacorps like Sony care? They don't want their event to be overshadowed by the riots and clashes with George Floyd memorial. It makes sense since you don't really want to show your new product to the world when this is pretty much everywhere.

But if it's the right move to take morally, and the company happens upon it because it's the right move from a business point of view what's the issue? You can't expect megacorps to consider morality, so why not be happy when business interests happen to correlate with moral ones? 

Pyro as Bill said:
It's a PR move and not a dumb one.

Either that or they don't want to be overshadowed by the 51 Clubhouse Games hype.

2nd line seems more believable 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

hinch said:
So USA = the world.

So stupid.

Well Sony is an american company now. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Torillian said:
hinch said:

But if it's the right move to take morally, and the company happens upon it because it's the right move from a business point of view what's the issue? You can't expect megacorps to consider morality, so why not be happy when business interests happen to correlate with moral ones? 

I just don't like PR moves like this, just comes off as a bit cheap. But hey it's the right move I suppose..

Around the Network
hinch said:
Torillian said:

I just don't like PR moves like this, just comes off as a bit cheap. But hey it's the right move I suppose..

I get it, it's like that Pepsi commercial where they solve a protest with an offering of a soda to a policeman, but I think that would've been a poor message even if they weren't doing it for money, so it was the wrong choice morally. Unfortunately that's the nature of companies. So when they make a right move I'm unsure if there's a purpose to concerning oneself with their improper reasoning. On a personal basis I could understand, because you want the person to learn better practices so that they end up doing the morally correct thing more often, but in the case of companies I think the best you can hope for is for them to be "morally lucky" because they must be concerned first and foremost with profit because of how companies are designed. 

Last time I checked Hong Kong and Syria are not anywhere close to the no.1 country for Playstation sales. The US is.

So yes, they will be more sensitive to political/social events occurring in the US when it is their no.1 individual market for the product they're trying to unveil. 

hinch said:
Fei-Hung said:
A company can be greedy and only money driven, but if you look at sonys developers, they have all been commenting and retweeting on the whole George murder. They are developers and also have a life outside of their jobs. The company seems to be supporting the views of their staff who make up a large portion of the success behind the playstation brand.

This is no different to the company I work for who has its head office in Gibraltar to avoid paying taxes in the UK, but since the lockdown, it has listened to its employees and made large Chunks of funding available for local charities and staff who may have fallen into hard times. It cares about profits, but it cares about its staff and their concerns too.

The threads and forums are very cynical to the point of being toxic, based on nothing and it seems like no decision is the right decision be it sony or anyone else.

Syria is a political mess. Yemen is a political mess. I get it. Nothing has been delayed for that, but that is something totally different on a whole different political level that sony cannot do anything about.

The killing of black people, the racism and bigotry towards them goes back to the slave trade, and to the last century and this century and the cycle of violence has again reached a tipping point.

If I were sony, whilst people are fighting for their freedom and demanding change, as the whole world watches and gets involved, since this isn't politics. This is straight up racism at a point in time where it shouldn't be, in a modern 1st world country nevertheless, I wouldn't want to drown out or redirect attention away from something this important and I would expect people who follow my brand to understand the fight against racism, to stand with those who have suffered would be far more important.

Sony doing this will pick up and soon MS will probably say something followed by Nintendo. All the major players will want to say something as they can either use this time and their platform to redirect attention from racism, or standby the people who are calling out for equality and justice.

The principle applied is no different to many cultures where, especially Eastern ones where you mourn the loss with silence as supposed to throwing a huge party. So for those shouting SonyNy, it's a simple no. For most Eastern cultures you don't throw a big party whilst someone is in mourning. You remain quite and respectful.

Looking past all the selfish reasons why I would want it, business or not, it's the right move.

Its purely marketing. Pure and simple.

Did Sony ever speak out against the HK riots and how its people have their rights stripped from them? Thats a whole nation.

This is an obvious business move rather than the act of 'caring'

Exactly this plus I would add that Sony most likely was not ready to show PS5. Plus, Sony as a Japanese corporation and I'm sure they are watching this but likely its not a concern for the Japanese society.

Torillian said:
hinch said:

I get it, it's like that Pepsi commercial where they solve a protest with an offering of a soda to a policeman, but I think that would've been a poor message even if they weren't doing it for money, so it was the wrong choice morally. Unfortunately that's the nature of companies. So when they make a right move I'm unsure if there's a purpose to concerning oneself with their improper reasoning. On a personal basis I could understand, because you want the person to learn better practices so that they end up doing the morally correct thing more often, but in the case of companies I think the best you can hope for is for them to be "morally lucky" because they must be concerned first and foremost with profit because of how companies are designed. 

Well companies adhere to moral code (laws) of places they do business, called compliance, but sure they will do the minimum necessary and sometimes will take the risk of not following some if the money is higher.

Soonerman said:
hinch said:

Its purely marketing. Pure and simple.

Did Sony ever speak out against the HK riots and how its people have their rights stripped from them? Thats a whole nation.

This is an obvious business move rather than the act of 'caring'

Exactly this plus I would add that Sony most likely was not ready to show PS5. Plus, Sony as a Japanese corporation and I'm sure they are watching this but likely its not a concern for the Japanese society.

Yes Sony had scheduled the date just hoping something happened so they could cancel.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

"Not ready" is borderline idiotic. The "event" likely has been taped more than a week ago and all the trailers and stuff cut a while ago.