By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next Gen System

Why would that change anyone’s idea about BC or Smart Delivery, lol. The only MS game we’ve seen is Hellblade and it looked amazing. I can see why you’re focusing on smaller games from smaller studios and cross gen stuff though, it suits your agenda.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Why would that change anyone’s idea about BC or Smart Delivery, lol. The only MS game we’ve seen is Hellblade and it looked amazing. I can see why you’re focusing on smaller games from smaller studios and cross gen stuff though, it suits your agenda.

Hellblade did look amazing but we both know that was wasn't gameplay footage. All we have for a fact are the strategies of both companies going into next gen. Sony wants to move away from ps4 asap and focus on selling their next gen consoles. MS wants to hang on to their current gen install base and sell services across a bunch of different devices.

This simply means Sony can potentially take full advantage of the ps5's next gen features, while MS has to cater to a broader audience and keep in mind that most of them don't have NVME SSD's and $700 gpu's. People all love BC and Smart Delivery because they haven't really seen next gen games yet. Once we'll see them on Sony's platform, BC and Smart delivery are still gonna be great, but not so much if you're planning to buy a Series X and it comes at the expense of not getting any exclusives for it.

Again, try to look at the big picture here. GP is a great service right now because every pc gamer can easily run 99% of the games on there. Now what do you think will happen if they start putting their big exclusives on there and hardly anyone has a pc that can play them? GP users would still be forced to upgrade and it would defeat the whole purpose of their strategy. That's why they wont do it until we see RTX2070 Super or better gpu's and fast SSD's become main stream. Until then 1st party developers can only "waste" those 12Tflops on bumping the resolution/ framerate and maybe adding some ray tracing effects. That's the main reason why MS's first look at Series X games got the reactions it did and not so much the games themselves. 

We have seen next gen games though. Sorry that doesn’t suit your agenda :)

Nate4Drake said:
Soundwave said:

An old 2070 using DLSS will be able to outperform a PS5, DLSS is quite frankly a much bigger deal than NVMe SSDs, not that I even really expect that advantage to last long for consoles, PC SSDs will be faster soon enough.

Sony knew MS probably had a standing mandate with AMD that whatever chipset they asked for, MS would insist on something a bit better because after the PS4/XBO debacle MS was never going to get worse hardware from AMD ever again and having far deeper pockets than Sony they can afford it. 

So Sony's hyping up this SSD knowing they can't match MS on chipset any more, but quite frankly the XSX's NVMe drive is plenty fast enough anyway. 

Don't forget that raw specs means nothing if you cannot take full advantage of them.  Sony 1st party developers will take full advantage of any single juice of power of PS5, but the same cannot be said about PCs and PCs developers.  Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, GG, Sucker Punch, etc can develop a Game around the super fast I/O and SSD, which can be really a game changer. Can PC developers do the same when developing for PC too ? The answer is no, unless the ultra fast PC SSD will become a standard and everybody will have a super fast SSD into his PC. This will never happen in the near future. The most powerful PCs will have an advantage in the image quality, resolution, frame-rate, Ray-tracing, but forget about games developed around a super fast I/O and SSD.  

Edited :

About XSX, I agree with you, it's more powerful than PS5, the combo CPU and GPU is more powerful, bigger bus and faster RAM for grapghics, sustained clock frequency, and the Velocity architecture(DirectStorage, Hardware Decompression, Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) , :  this is very interesting

""

But they didn’t want the I/O system to be just about your games loading faster.

Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer. The components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture all combine to create an effective multiplier on physical memory that is, quite literally, a game changer.

“The CPU is the brain of our new console and the GPU is the heart, but the Xbox Velocity Architecture is the soul,” said Andrew Goossen, Technical Fellow on Xbox Series X at Microsoft. “The Xbox Velocity Architecture is about so much more than fast last times. It’s one of the most innovative parts of our new console. It’s about revolutionizing how games can create vastly bigger, more compelling worlds.”"

https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/comments/fm2eua/xbox_velocity_architecture_is_very_impressive/

What I'm trying to say is that it is never one single component to make the difference or offer great performance, but the whole architecture, and the possibility to take full advantage of any single features. 

I love how both Sony and MS give name to the features instead of the SSD and I/O is faster than the HDD we have velocity architecture, the audio is tempest engine, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:

Look, we can keep going back and forth like this forever, or... you can just listen to the words that are coming out of Phil's mouth. They're not expecting or trying to sell loads of boxes and push next gen graphics. Series X is a mere bridge to the Xbox ecosystem for people who don't have a pc. That's why they are not making true next gen games specifically designed for high-end hardware anytime soon.

"But our strategy is centred around the player, not the device.

If this is not the year when a family wants to make a decision to buy a new Xbox, that's OK.

Our strategy does not revolve around how many Xboxes I sell this year.

We're focused on delivering services through Xbox Game Pass, which allows people to build their library for a monthly fee.

Backward compatibility means that the console that they have will play thousands and thousands of games.

Smart delivery means when they move to the next generation, the games will move with them."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52961835

Last edited by goopy20 - on 10 June 2020

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Look, we can keep going back and forth like this forever, or... you can just listen to the words that are coming out of Phil's mouth. They're not expecting or trying to sell loads of boxes. Series X is a mere bridge to the Xbox ecosystem for people who don't have a pc. That's why they are not making true next gen games specifically designed for high-end hardware anytime soon.

If this is not the year when a family wants to make a decision to buy a new Xbox, that's OK.

We're focused on delivering services through Xbox Game Pass, which allows people to build their library for a monthly fee.

Backward compatibility means that the console that they have will play thousands and thousands of games.

Smart delivery means when they move to the next generation, the games will move with them."

I think its more like they want more people to have access to their games and thus get them into the Xbox ecosystem, with subscription services like Gamepass and XBL. So that people of all that can't lay out $500+ for a new console this year can still play the latest games (for now) and subscribe to their service and play the games even if they 'only' have a Xbox One or One X.

They are hoping people will see the value in having a wider range of content through BC and Game Pass.

Its just another way of going about a new generation. Think of a Xbox Series X being more like an PC upgrade. New hardware launch for a new generation of software, that can also play legacy titles. Cross gen support until they ditch support 1-2 years down the line for older systems. Not a hard rest like what PS5 and Nintendo do with their consoles, at least for the majority of new first party games.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 June 2020

goopy20 said:

Look, we can keep going back and forth like this forever, or... you can just listen to the words that are coming out of Phil's mouth.

I listen to what he says. Even better, unlike you, I apply logic to what he says and don't spin it to suit any agenda. You should try that :)

goopy20 said:
They're not expecting or trying to sell loads of boxes and push next gen graphics. Series X is a mere bridge to the Xbox ecosystem for people who don't have a pc.

The console isn't out yet, we don't even have a price or release date. You have no idea if they are trying to sell loads of boxes or not. We've only seen one game from them and it looked amazing. So you don't know if they are trying to push next gen graphics or not. Every console every company sells is a bridge into their ecosystem, duh.

goopy20 said:
That's why they are not making true next gen games specifically designed for high-end hardware anytime soon.

You constantly change your definition of "true next gen game" to exclude MS and include what Sony does. Again, you've seen one MS game. I guess two if you count a Halo cut scene? Yet you have their entire philosophy figured out. It's cute.

goopy20 said:

And here you're taking stuff out of context again to suit your agenda. Yeah, he's saying their strategy doesn't require a family to go out and buy an XSX this year. But if you listen to the interview it's in the context of the pandemic and lots of people losing their jobs. He's saying a lot of families will choose food and rent and clothes over a console this year and that's fine. That if they stick with their Xbone due to financial hardships, they'll still have BC, GamePass, and whenever they do upgrade, their games work there too.

Instead of telling others to listen, how about you listen yourself lol. And yeah your first sentence was right, we can keep going back and forth forever. Because you're the type of person who will perpetually spin and lie about stuff said, and I will gladly correct you because it's funny to me :)

If you don't want to go back and forth then stop being wrong, and stop spinning bullshit out of random quotes. Hope that helps.

hinch said:

I think its more like they want more people to have access to their games and thus get them into the Xbox ecosystem, with subscription services like Gamepass and XBL. So that people of all that can't lay out $500+ for a new console this year can still play the latest games (for now) and subscribe to their service and play the games even if they 'only' have a Xbox One or One X.

They are hoping people will see the value in having a wider range of content through BC and Game Pass.

Its just another way of going about a new generation. Think of a Xbox Series X being more like an PC upgrade. New hardware launch for a new generation of software, that can also play legacy titles. Cross gen support until they ditch support 1-2 years down the line for older systems. Not a hard rest like what PS5 and Nintendo do with their consoles, at least for the majority of new first party games.

See goopster, this is how a logical person, unsaddled by agenda and bias reads something like that and interprets it. Try to be more like this poster and less like this shtick you're acting out.

hinch said:
goopy20 said:

Look, we can keep going back and forth like this forever, or... you can just listen to the words that are coming out of Phil's mouth. They're not expecting or trying to sell loads of boxes. Series X is a mere bridge to the Xbox ecosystem for people who don't have a pc. That's why they are not making true next gen games specifically designed for high-end hardware anytime soon.

That's exactly what I've seen saying lol. Series X is just like a pc and there is nothing totally terrible about their new strategy. It's great for those who can't, or don't want to jump into the next gen right away and it is very consumer friendly. However, its also a double edged sword if you're planning to buy a next gen console and are expecting exclusive games specifically designed for Series X from day one. 

Think about it. When new pc hardware comes out, does that mean we're seeing a gigantic leap in visuals? The only use of owning a RTX gpu for the last 2 years has been to play console games, but with a bump in resolution and 120fps. Ray Tracing is still barely being supported and even though SSD has been on pc for over a decade, there's still only 1 "game" that kinda takes advantage of it. The only time we truly see a generational leap is when new consoles come out and developers start supporting the specific hardware that's in these boxes. That's what we'll see on ps5 as they're doing a hard reset. But with MS's approach that isn't really possible anymore. Their studios constantly have to ask themselves will this run on Xbox One and the average pc too? 

Now sure you can say the high-end gpu of today is the low end gpu of tomorrow. But the truth is that we have no idea when Series X like specs will be main stream on pc. Maybe there will be a $200 RTX3050 and NVME SSD's will be dirt cheap next year. But it can also take years. Hell, the GTX1080 is over 4 years old and it's still selling for around $600. This console generation could literally be half way over before we'll see games on GP that truly require Series X like specs on the pc side. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 11 June 2020

goopy20 said:

Now sure you can say the high-end gpu of today is the low end gpu of tomorrow. But the truth is that we have no idea when Series X like specs will be main stream on pc. Maybe there will be a $200 RTX3050 and NVME SSD's will be dirt cheap next year. But it can also take years. Hell, the GTX1080 is over 4 years old and it's still selling for around $600. This console generation could literally be half way over before we'll see games on GP that truly require Series X like specs on the pc side. 

Talking shit about PC hardware prices again?

You can buy a RTX 2060 for $300 - $350, which is faster than a GTX 1080 in most newer games:

You can also buy a RX 5700 for $300 - $350, which is faster than a GTX 1080 in most newer games:

And at the end of the year (when the new consoles launch and Ampère graphic cards launch and RDNA2 graphic cards launch) these prices will probably be a lot lower.

Last edited by Conina - on 11 June 2020