By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next Gen System

I'm excited about Halo Infinite, and I hope to be blown away this July. 343 are putting some insane effort to deliver the ultimate Halo, the game is in development since 2015, and their brand new Slipspace Engine should be something special. Well, the game will be released on XBox One as well, but I hope Devs will manage to take advantage of XSX hardware, and apply scalability for AI and physics as well. We'll see.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Like I said, next gen graphics should be self explanatory. If MS has to explain why Series X games are next gen because we need to feel 60fps, they're either doing a piss poor job promoting their next gen console or... they are not trying to push next gen gaming at all. Spoiler alert! They're not, because for the millionth time, they're running with a completely different strategy. They want every pc gamer to be able to play their games, no matter if you have a $3000 NASA super computer or you're playing games on a potato. It makes total sense when you look at how successful games like Minecraft and Fortnite are, but it's just not what people are typically expecting from a next gen console that's supposed to blow us away. This is why their event got the reactions it did, not because the games themselves looked terrible. 

Sony, on the other hand, is doing things the traditional way. They don't want people with potato pc's and current gen consoles to play ps5 games. Hell, their entire console is build around a SSD that's not even available on consumer pc's, and the UE5 demo was just a demonstration of that. It wasn't just a tech demo, it was the first glimpse of what next gen games should, and will look like according to Sony's vision. Which is not current gen games with just a bump in resolution and framerate like we're already seeing on pc and the mid-gen consoles.  

Not saying the early ps5 games are guaranteed to be awesome because of it, but there's no guarantee they will suck either. We'll just have to wait till Sony makes its first big move. However, it would be pretty weird if their ps5 exclusives won't take advantage of next gen features like their SSD. And because of that they should show a self explanatory leap over anything we've seen before. 

Now I'm not sure why you're calling me a pessimistic when everything I'm saying is coming straight from uncle Phil himself. MAybe you haven't been getting the notes, so just a recap here...

Microsoft doesn't care if you buy the next-generation Xbox

https://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-vs-playstation-microsoft-strategy-2020-5?international=true&r=US&IR=T

Microsoft’s Xbox boss says Amazon and Google are ‘the main competitors going forward’

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/5/21123956/microsoft-xbox-competitors-phil-spencer-cloud-gaming-amazon-google

All of our games… will play up and down that family of devices – Xbox’s Matt Booty ends the next-gen exclusive as we know it

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/

Phil Spencer says you might not appreciate how much better next-gen games are until you can "feel" the improvement that comes with 60 FPS.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-phil-spencer-says-you-cant-even-appr/1100-6477747/

MS is putting themselves in a tricky situation if they're goal is to sell 100m Series X's and I'm pretty sure they are aware of that. But it's pretty obvious that's not their goal anyway. Their strategy is set and they're not going to change it now, even if they do get crap after showing their "optimized for Series X" games. If that was the case, they would have told us by now that games like Halo Infinite were designed specifically for Series X and they're outsourcing ports for the Xone versions running on older tech. That's what they did when Forza Horizon 2 was announced for the 360 and Xone and everyone was pissed it would be held back because it was a cross-gen title. 

You can window dress your interpretation of their strategy however you like but at the end of the day it’s still just your opinion and you’ve proven that it’s an opinion full of bias and nonsense. What is the point of linking interviews and articles when you take them out of context or ignore quotes in them? lol

And yeah the UE5 demo was just a demo. Just remember that while you’re incredibly hyped from it, the demo would be just as good or better on XSX. 

Gears Tactics won’t run on potato PCs and it’s the most recent PC title MS released. Flight Sim isn’t going to run on potato PCs. When you’re trying to compare MS PC titles to the scalability of titles like Fortnite or Minecraft, you’re just showcasing the typical ignorance you’ve become famous for in these threads.

I didn't misinterpret or taken anything out of context. I've literally just quoted headlines of what MS's been telling us for months. 

Gears Tactics system requirement are a GTX750ti minimum and a GTX970 recommended... I'm not making this shit up here, but if you won't take my word for it, wait till we see the recommended specs of Halo Infinite and Forza. Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a NVME SSD and a RTX2070 Super. Not saying that, 2 years from now, Series X games will still run fine on a GTX750Ti either. It will totally depend on what will be common in the average consumer pc by then. If Nvidia and AMD don't drop their prices for their current high-end cards and their new gpu's will be crazy expensive, that could very well be a GTX1060, though.

Basically what I'm saying is that we don't really know when Series X will have full blown next gen games, until AMD and Nvidia announce the prices of their new gpu's and/or a major price drop for the RTX cards.

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

You can window dress your interpretation of their strategy however you like but at the end of the day it’s still just your opinion and you’ve proven that it’s an opinion full of bias and nonsense. What is the point of linking interviews and articles when you take them out of context or ignore quotes in them? lol

And yeah the UE5 demo was just a demo. Just remember that while you’re incredibly hyped from it, the demo would be just as good or better on XSX. 

Gears Tactics won’t run on potato PCs and it’s the most recent PC title MS released. Flight Sim isn’t going to run on potato PCs. When you’re trying to compare MS PC titles to the scalability of titles like Fortnite or Minecraft, you’re just showcasing the typical ignorance you’ve become famous for in these threads.

I didn't misinterpret or taken anything out of context. I've literally just quoted headlines of what MS's been telling us for months. 

Gears Tactics system requirement are a GTX750ti minimum and a GTX970 recommended... I'm not making this shit up here, but if you won't take my word for it, wait till we see the recommended specs of Halo Infinite and Forza. Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a NVME SSD and a RTX2070 Super. Not saying that, 2 years from now, Series X games will still run fine on a GTX750Ti either. It will totally depend on what will be common in the average consumer pc by then. If Nvidia and AMD don't drop their prices for their current high-end cards and their new gpu's will be crazy expensive, that could very well be a GTX1060, though.

Basically what I'm saying is that we don't really know when Series X will have full blown next gen games, until AMD and Nvidia announce the prices of their new gpu's and/or a major price drop for the RTX cards.

Of course you are putting spin on everything. Or can you link me to where Microsoft has flat out said they'll have no "full blown" next gen games for years? Or how they're neutering all XSX games so that their games can also run on a "potato PC"? You can't, because they haven't said anything like that, you're just taking their comments and spinning them to what you believe they mean or want to believe they mean. Take the four articles you linked.

MS doesn't care if you buy the XSX - Adorable that you cut out the other part of the headline, the part where the article says it's a brilliant strategy. But you aren't trying to spin anything. Never mind that, nothing in the article supports the theories you are throwing out about the direction MS is going. It also says that of course MS wants people to buy an XSX.

Google/Amazon - This is only about streaming and Papa Phil has multiple times stated it's at least a decade away from being the standard. Also irrelevant to what you're saying about XSX and potato PC's because streaming content doesn't require any hardware. You can stream games off of a television. That doesn't mean MS is designing games to work on a Samsung TV.

Matt Booty quote - He said at the end of 2019 that for "one year, two years" games will work across both consoles. You've repeatedly said it would be longer, talking sometimes about four and five year cross gen support. So again, here is you putting spin on things people say to suit your opinion.

Feel of 60fps quote - Here is where things get taken out of context. You've used this quote to imply that Phil is running damage control about disappointing footage of games from the "conference". Or, you've implied that MS is focusing on making games work on every possible device and thus they don't look impressive graphically. In the actual podcast Reginald asks him about any aspect of showing off next gen that has been difficult due to COVID and he replied about people not getting a chance to hold the controller and feel the games. He mentioned the Wii and how if you were just looking at videos of the games or videos of people playing, you wouldn't see anything all that special but once you held the controllers in your hands and played, that's where you'd connect the dots. Obviously the difference between watching and playing won't be as jarring with XSX as it was with Wii but his point is legit and it's also something Sony will struggle with.. as soon as they actually show some games anyway.

So please, don't talk down to others about how you're "just repeating what MS says" because you aren't, not even close :)

Regarding Gears, you made reference to the scalability of Minecraft and Fortnite which have integrated graphics as their minimum specs and called that "potato PC's" so of course now you're shifting the goal posts and I guess a 750 is the same as integrated lol. Funny, per usual.

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Of course you are putting spin on everything. Or can you link me to where Microsoft has flat out said they'll have no "full blown" next gen games for years? Or how they're neutering all XSX games so that their games can also run on a "potato PC"? You can't, because they haven't said anything like that, you're just taking their comments and spinning them to what you believe they mean or want to believe they mean. Take the four articles you linked.

MS doesn't care if you buy the XSX - Adorable that you cut out the other part of the headline, the part where the article says it's a brilliant strategy. But you aren't trying to spin anything. Never mind that, nothing in the article supports the theories you are throwing out about the direction MS is going. It also says that of course MS wants people to buy an XSX.

Google/Amazon - This is only about streaming and Papa Phil has multiple times stated it's at least a decade away from being the standard. Also irrelevant to what you're saying about XSX and potato PC's because streaming content doesn't require any hardware. You can stream games off of a television. That doesn't mean MS is designing games to work on a Samsung TV.

Matt Booty quote - He said at the end of 2019 that for "one year, two years" games will work across both consoles. You've repeatedly said it would be longer, talking sometimes about four and five year cross gen support. So again, here is you putting spin on things people say to suit your opinion.

Feel of 60fps quote - Here is where things get taken out of context. You've used this quote to imply that Phil is running damage control about disappointing footage of games from the "conference". Or, you've implied that MS is focusing on making games work on every possible device and thus they don't look impressive graphically. In the actual podcast Reginald asks him about any aspect of showing off next gen that has been difficult due to COVID and he replied about people not getting a chance to hold the controller and feel the games. He mentioned the Wii and how if you were just looking at videos of the games or videos of people playing, you wouldn't see anything all that special but once you held the controllers in your hands and played, that's where you'd connect the dots. Obviously the difference between watching and playing won't be as jarring with XSX as it was with Wii but his point is legit and it's also something Sony will struggle with.. as soon as they actually show some games anyway.

So please, don't talk down to others about how you're "just repeating what MS says" because you aren't, not even close :)

Regarding Gears, you made reference to the scalability of Minecraft and Fortnite which have integrated graphics as their minimum specs and called that "potato PC's" so of course now you're shifting the goal posts and I guess a 750 is the same as integrated lol. Funny, per usual.

It's not me making up theories or spinning things. MS has openly said they are not doing Series X exclusives for the first 1 or 2 years and we've already seen what "optimized for Series X" games actually look like. MS is calling them games that people need to "feel" in order to understand why they are next gen in the first place.

I wouldn't say Phil Spencer was doing damage control. It's just that they have put their strategy in motion and they're running with it. Sony didn't need people to "feel" that UE5 demo, nor should any next gen game. People should be able to look at them and instantly see the difference between current gen and get excited about it.

Are you sure MS isn't already making games that'll run on Samsung TV? MS is already in talks about bringing Xcloud to Samsung tv's and phones... MS truly believes there's not going to be another console generation after this one and is convinced dedicated gaming consoles/pc's will be as obsolete as DVD players are now. 

Microsoft and Samsung partner on Xbox cloud-based game streaming

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/12/21134167/microsoft-samsung-xbox-partnership-xcloud-cloud-game-streaming

Fair enough, maybe I am exaggerating a bit when I say potato pc. But lets be honest, a 750ti isn't exactly cutting edge in 2020. I do believe MS will be targeting higher than that with their Series X games. My guess is something like a GTX1060 for the first couple of years. But unless Nvidia cuts prices by 66% in the near future, it's definitely not going to be a RTX2070 Super and a NVME SSD anytime soon. Specs that Sony will likely be targeting with their exclusives from day one.

Just think about it man. How is MS supposed to grow or keep their GP subscribers when they start putting games on there that only 3% of the potential pc gamers will be able to run?

Last edited by goopy20 - on 08 June 2020

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

It's not me making up theories or spinning things. MS has openly said all those thing and we've already seen what "optimized for Series X" games actually look like. MS is calling it next gen games that people need to "feel" in order to understand why they are next gen in the first place.

I wouldn't say Phil Spencer was doing damage control. It's just that they have put their strategy in motion and they're running with it. Sony didn't need people to "feel" that UE5 demo, nor should any next gen game. People should be able to look at them and instantly see the difference between current gen and get excited about it.

Are you sure MS isn't already making games that'll run on Samsung TV? MS is already in talks about bringing Xcloud to Samsung tv's and phones... MS truly believes there's not going to be another console generation after this one and is convinced dedicated gaming consoles/pc's will be as obsolete as DVD players are now. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/12/21134167/microsoft-samsung-xbox-partnership-xcloud-cloud-game-streaming

Fair enough, maybe I am exaggerating a bit when I say potato pc. But lets be honest, a 750ti isn't exactly cutting edge in 2020. I do believe MS will be targeting higher than that with their Series X games. My guess is something like a GTX1060 for the first couple of years. But unless Nvidia and AMD will be practically giving them away for free, it's definitely not going to be a RTX2070 Super and a NVME SSD, like what Sony will likely be targeting with their exclusives from day one.

Just think about it man. How is MS supposed to grow their GP subscribers when they start putting games on there that only 3% of the potential pc gamers will be able to run?

I'm talking games designed for Samsung TV's, not cloud gaming streamed to them. Since you think everything must be designed for the lowest common denominator. Also we haven't seen what games optimized for XSX look like. We've seen a very small sample from small studios. That would be like me saying we've already seen what PS5 games look like, just look at Godfall. Does that make sense? Of course it doesn't.

You're still taking Phil's quote about the feel entirely out of context. How surprising. Also, MS will grow GP by selling tens of millions of XSX consoles, and using xCloud to stream games to phones and televisions, and increasing their PC presence. All of that is infinitely more logical than "uh lets release the most powerful console ever but actually design our games to run on integrated graphics cards and support the launch Xbox One" lol.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

It's not me making up theories or spinning things. MS has openly said all those thing and we've already seen what "optimized for Series X" games actually look like. MS is calling it next gen games that people need to "feel" in order to understand why they are next gen in the first place.

Fair enough, maybe I am exaggerating a bit when I say potato pc. But lets be honest, a 750ti isn't exactly cutting edge in 2020. I do believe MS will be targeting higher than that with their Series X games. My guess is something like a GTX1060 for the first couple of years. But unless Nvidia and AMD will be practically giving them away for free, it's definitely not going to be a RTX2070 Super and a NVME SSD, like what Sony will likely be targeting with their exclusives from day one.

Just think about it man. How is MS supposed to grow their GP subscribers when they start putting games on there that only 3% of the potential pc gamers will be able to run?

I'm talking games designed for Samsung TV's, not cloud gaming streamed to them. Since you think everything must be designed for the lowest common denominator. Also we haven't seen what games optimized for XSX look like. We've seen a very small sample from small studios. That would be like me saying we've already seen what PS5 games look like, just look at Godfall. Does that make sense? Of course it doesn't.

You're still taking Phil's quote about the feel entirely out of context. How surprising. Also, MS will grow GP by selling tens of millions of XSX consoles, and using xCloud to stream games to phones and televisions, and increasing their PC presence. All of that is infinitely more logical than "uh lets release the most powerful console ever but actually design our games to run on integrated graphics cards and support the launch Xbox One" lol.

Xcloud is obviously their end game but Cloud Gaming probably isn't going to take off before next gen is over, if at all. If it does work then yes, you're right and it wouldn't matter anymore which platforms they would be supporting.

It's not so much about the games they have shown. IT's about the strategy of both companies. We've only seen glimpses of Godfall and I totally agree that it doesn't scream next gen, but the UE5 demo was a different story, though. What I can tell you right now is that Sony wasn't kidding when they said next gen starts when we say so. Don't take my word for it and just watch the ps5 event on Thursday. Even though you will probably still just write it off as just shiny graphics, the rest of the world is probably going to disagree with you on that. And MS is going to have to come up with something much better than Xone games with a bunch off optimized for Series X and Smart Delivery logos.

I think both parties just need to shut up and wait for the reveals to eat crow, seeing as half of the discussion is based on "i feel" and not on results or facts

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Xcloud is obviously their end game but Cloud Gaming probably isn't going to take off before next gen is over, if at all. If it does work then yes, you're right and it wouldn't matter anymore which platforms they would be supporting.

It's not so much about the games they have shown. IT's about the strategy of both companies. We've only seen glimpses of Godfall and I totally agree that it doesn't scream next gen, but the UE5 demo was a different story, though. What I can tell you right now is that Sony wasn't kidding when they said next gen starts when we say so. Don't take my word for it and just watch the ps5 event on Thursday. Even though you will probably still just write it off as just shiny graphics, the rest of the world is probably going to disagree with you on that. And MS is going to have to come up with something much better than Xone games with a bunch off optimized for Series X and Smart Delivery logos.

Yes... it will be after this gen minimum before cloud gaming really takes off and becomes mainstream. Hence where I reminded you that Phil Spencer said it will be a decade+. But that doesn’t mean they will wait to roll it out until it’s mainstream, that’s not how tech works.

The only PS5 games we’ve seen are Godfall and that Alien Isolation looking game so I guess that’s what PS5 games look like according to your logic. No wonder they made a big deal about a tech demo I guess. Again, just using your own logic here.

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Yes... it will be after this gen minimum before cloud gaming really takes off and becomes mainstream. Hence where I reminded you that Phil Spencer said it will be a decade+. But that doesn’t mean they will wait to roll it out until it’s mainstream, that’s not how tech works.

The only PS5 games we’ve seen are Godfall and that Alien Isolation looking game so I guess that’s what PS5 games look like according to your logic. No wonder they made a big deal about a tech demo I guess. Again, just using your own logic here.

I get it, it is hard to argue anything when Sony hasn't shown anything but a tech demo. Truth is, until Sony shows what next gen gaming is really about, BC and Smart Delivery do sound nice. We'll see if people still think MS's cross-platform strategy is such a great idea after Sony's event on Thursday, though. 

Soundwave said:

An old 2070 using DLSS will be able to outperform a PS5, DLSS is quite frankly a much bigger deal than NVMe SSDs, not that I even really expect that advantage to last long for consoles, PC SSDs will be faster soon enough.

Sony knew MS probably had a standing mandate with AMD that whatever chipset they asked for, MS would insist on something a bit better because after the PS4/XBO debacle MS was never going to get worse hardware from AMD ever again and having far deeper pockets than Sony they can afford it. 

So Sony's hyping up this SSD knowing they can't match MS on chipset any more, but quite frankly the XSX's NVMe drive is plenty fast enough anyway. 

Don't forget that raw specs means nothing if you cannot take full advantage of them.  Sony 1st party developers will take full advantage of any single juice of power of PS5, but the same cannot be said about PCs and PCs developers.  Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, GG, Sucker Punch, etc can develop a Game around the super fast I/O and SSD, which can be really a game changer. Can PC developers do the same when developing for PC too ? The answer is no, unless the ultra fast PC SSD will become a standard and everybody will have a super fast SSD into his PC. This will never happen in the near future. The most powerful PCs will have an advantage in the image quality, resolution, frame-rate, Ray-tracing, but forget about games developed around a super fast I/O and SSD.  

Edited :

About XSX, I agree with you, it's more powerful than PS5, the combo CPU and GPU is more powerful, bigger bus and faster RAM for grapghics, sustained clock frequency, and the Velocity architecture(DirectStorage, Hardware Decompression, Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) , :  this is very interesting

""

But they didn’t want the I/O system to be just about your games loading faster.

Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer. The components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture all combine to create an effective multiplier on physical memory that is, quite literally, a game changer.

“The CPU is the brain of our new console and the GPU is the heart, but the Xbox Velocity Architecture is the soul,” said Andrew Goossen, Technical Fellow on Xbox Series X at Microsoft. “The Xbox Velocity Architecture is about so much more than fast last times. It’s one of the most innovative parts of our new console. It’s about revolutionizing how games can create vastly bigger, more compelling worlds.”"

https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/comments/fm2eua/xbox_velocity_architecture_is_very_impressive/

What I'm trying to say is that it is never one single component to make the difference or offer great performance, but the whole architecture, and the possibility to take full advantage of any single features. 

Last edited by Nate4Drake - on 09 June 2020

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.