Insomniac Games
Ratchet & Clank - 85% (2016)
Marvel’s Spider-Man - 87% (2018)

Japan Studio
The Last Guardian - 82% (2016)
Everybody's Golf - 78% (2017)
Knack 2 - 69% (2017)

Gravity Rush 2 (2017)
Shadow of the Colossus - 91% (2018 - developed with Bluepoint Games)
Astro Bot Rescue Mission - 90% (2019)

London Studio
SingStar Celebration - 65% (2017)
Blood & Truth - 80% (2019)

Media Molecule
LittleBigPlanet 3 - 79% (2014 - developed by Sumo Digital with Media Molecule being a contributor in the early stages of development)
Dreams - 89% (2020)

Naughty Dog
The Last of Us - 95% (2013)
Uncharted 4 - 93% (2016)
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 84% (2017)
Coming soon: The Last of Us II

Pixelopus
Entwined - 59% (2014)
Concrete Genie - 75% (2019)

Polyphony Digital
Gran Turismo 6 - 81% (2013)
Gran Turismo Sport - 75% (2017)

San Diego Studio
Drawn to Death - 56% (2017)
StarBlood Arena - 68% (2017)
MLB The Show 20 - 83% (2020)

San Mateo Studio
Auxiliary studio (they helped with Spider-Man, Infamous and Uncharted).
Farpoint - 71% (2017)

Santa Monica
God of War - 94% (2018)

Sucker Punch
Infamous Second Son - 80% (2014)
Infamous First Light - 73% (2014)
Coming soon: Ghost of Tsushima

It can be said that Sony and Ms currently have very similar game development studios. Sony studios have more hits on account, but also relase games less often. In addition, smaller studios often specialize in VR games.

Of course, this does not exhaust all options, because Sony (like Ms) has a contracts with external studios - for example Godfall and Quantum Error. I wouldn't hope for a lot of exlusive titles in first year, though. There will be a bit of a wait for big games.

The optimistic scenario is the release of GT7, Horizon 2 and Spider-man 2 by the end of 2021.

Last edited by Pok87 - on 23 May 2020

Around the Network

My favourites are probably Naughty Dog and Guerrilla at the moment. Sucker Punch and Japan Studio after them. A few notes otherwise, the SotC remake was developed by Bluepoint Games, not Japan Studio, and LittleBigPlanet 3 was made by Sumo Digital.

I have no idea what OP wants, but nope Sony and MS studio aren't similar at all, not in critical reception, sales or type of games nor frequency of releases. Their only similarity is being owned by first platform holder.
My favorite is Polyphony Digital because of Gran Turismo.

Second Place is Naughty Dog and I hope it keep being.

I'm pleased to see Japan Studio return to launch a good number of games opposed to PS3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I assume you're only counting games for PS4. GT6 never came out on PS4.

But I gotta go with Insomiac/Naughty Dog. But most of them are fantastic studios.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I suppose this list considers only current-gen games.
Naughty Dog/Insomniac would be my favorites. Santa Monica is a good third and Guerrilla is a safe fourth place. Japan Studio is very inconsistent but Last Guardian and SOTC are so good so it makes the last spot in my top 5.

Around the Network

Interesting question/good thread. Many awesome Games-Studios, its really hard to say..
Naughty Dog are the Best for me = ) And then..
Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica and Insomniac Games are strong,
Media molecules are very creative. "Dreams" is the most innovative game in the world in my opinion, EVERYTHING is possible.
The Japan Studio is interesting.
Sucker Punch is working on the biggest game in its history: Ghost of Tsushima. Cant wait of July!!
I am very excited to see the result of the survey.

Darashiva said:
My favourites are probably Naughty Dog and Guerrilla at the moment. Sucker Punch and Japan Studio after them. A few notes otherwise, the SotC remake was developed by Bluepoint Games, not Japan Studio, and LittleBigPlanet 3 was made by Sumo Digital.

Game information was taken from Wikipedia and limited to studies belonging to Sony. I didn't want to mix too much, because many games were made in cooperation with other studios. But for these two games I made footnotes.

DonFerrari said:

I have no idea what OP wants, but nope Sony and MS studio aren't similar at all, not in critical reception, sales or type of games nor frequency of releases. Their only similarity is being owned by first platform holder.

I recently created a thread about Ms:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242422/xgs-previous-games-according-to-metacritic/1/

Sony has 14 own studios, Ms 15. Both companies, according to sources, even employ a similar number of employees ~ 2600+. So there are similarities :)

It is known that Sony has a more stable team, and Ms has done a lot of shopping in the last few years, but we will only see what comes out of it.

Bristow9091 said:
You're missing some games off the list...

I know. I wanted the list to be specific, so it contains only recently released games and only the most important ones.
I tried to limit myself to PS4, but some studios release games so rarely (e.g. Polyphony) that I didn't want to limit myself to just one title (to give a bigger picture).

When creating this thread, I mainly used this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIE_Worldwide_Studios
and references therein.

If you think that I missed something, let me know what exactly to add.

Pok87 said:
Darashiva said:

Game information was taken from Wikipedia and limited to studies belonging to Sony. I didn't want to mix too much, because many games were made in cooperation with other studios. But for these two games I made footnotes.

DonFerrari said:

I recently created a thread about Ms:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242422/xgs-previous-games-according-to-metacritic/1/

Sony has 14 own studios, Ms 15. Both companies, according to sources, even employ a similar number of employees ~ 2600+. So there are similarities :)

It is known that Sony has a more stable team, and Ms has done a lot of shopping in the last few years, but we will only see what comes out of it.

Bristow9091 said:
You're missing some games off the list...

I know. I wanted the list to be specific, so it contains only recently released games and only the most important ones.
I tried to limit myself to PS4, but some studios release games so rarely (e.g. Polyphony) that I didn't want to limit myself to just one title (to give a bigger picture).

Strange way to put they are similar, but now I understand what you ment.

So basically you want to list the studios and their critical reception to more or less see what is in the future of PS5?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Huh, I had no idea there’s some “fluff” in there. Forward Works, San Mateo, Bend, Pixelopus. I honestly thought every single studio made hits. Not that XGS doesn’t have fluff. Mojang mostly just updates Minecraft and Worlds Edge is just making remasters of Age of Empires/4, a niche genre. Just a observation, thanks for a clear layout of what I largely didn’t know.

On topic, I’d say Guerilla. FPS is my favourite genre and if I were to choose, I’d go for the guys who made Killzone. Killzone 2 and 3 looked like a lot of fun and pushed graphics for the time.

(you wanted us to pick our favourite right?)

Last edited by sales2099 - on 22 May 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.