Japan Studio 7 10.77%

Media Molecule 2 3.08%

Naughty Dog 24 36.92%

Polyphony Digital 4 6.15%

Santa Monica 10 15.38%

Sucker Punch 2 3.08%

Other 1 1.54%

Total:65

Naughty Dog is the easy choice for my top spot, but I must say how pleased I am at how much Sucker Punch and Guerrilla have grown over the years.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Huh, I had no idea there’s some “fluff” in there. Forward Works, San Mateo, Bend, Pixelopus. I honestly thought every single studio made hits. Not that XGS doesn’t have fluff. Mojang mostly just updates Minecraft and Worlds Edge is just making remasters of Age of Empires/4, a niche genre. Just a observation, thanks for a clear layout of what I largely didn’t know.

On topic, I’d say Guerilla. FPS is my favourite genre and if I were to choose, I’d go for the guys who made Killzone. Killzone 2 and 3 looked like a lot of fun and pushed graphics for the time.

(you wanted us to pick our favourite right?)

Well there is plenty of small studios and team in Sony. There is even one that was made from college graduates.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Pok87 said:

Game information was taken from Wikipedia and limited to studies belonging to Sony. I didn't want to mix too much, because many games were made in cooperation with other studios. But for these two games I made footnotes.

I recently created a thread about Ms:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242422/xgs-previous-games-according-to-metacritic/1/

Sony has 14 own studios, Ms 15. Both companies, according to sources, even employ a similar number of employees ~ 2600+. So there are similarities :)

It is known that Sony has a more stable team, and Ms has done a lot of shopping in the last few years, but we will only see what comes out of it.

I know. I wanted the list to be specific, so it contains only recently released games and only the most important ones.
I tried to limit myself to PS4, but some studios release games so rarely (e.g. Polyphony) that I didn't want to limit myself to just one title (to give a bigger picture).

Strange way to put they are similar, but now I understand what you ment.

So basically you want to list the studios and their critical reception to more or less see what is in the future of PS5?

Exactly :)
The topic was created in order to be able to determine approximately which studies may publish games in the near future and which cannot be counted on.

None really. I like some Sony first-party games. I loved Omega Boost. Gravity Rush. Lost in Rain. Spider-Man. Ratchet and Clank were ok. I like the Sly Cooper games a lot. There is more I like but it's just a game/series here and there from different studios. The only studio I never liked anything from is Naughty Dog. I really just don't like their stuff but I keep trying it because I like to try things. SEGA is the only dev I legit have fave studios. Sony,it's just a little here and there.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Naughty Dog by far.

Around the Network

Looking at which Sony studios will soon release PS5 games, you can easy to cross out:
Bend Studio, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch.

So they stay:
- Guerrilla Games (Horizon 2)
- Insomniac Games (maybe a new Ratchet?)
- Japan Studio (Knack 3, Gravity Rush 3 or new IP)
- Polyphony Digital (GT7)

Bring back Wipeout!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pok87 said:

Guerrilla Games
Horizon Zero Dawn - 89% (2017)

Insomniac Games
Ratchet & Clank - 85% (2016)
Marvel’s Spider-Man - 87% (2018)

Japan Studio
The Last Guardian - 82% (2016)

Gravity Rush 2 (2017)

Naughty Dog
The Last of Us - 95% (2013)
Uncharted 4 - 93% (2016)
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 84% (2017)
Coming soon: The Last of Us II

Santa Monica
God of War - 94% (2018)

Sucker Punch
Coming soon: Ghost of Tsushima

Thats my favorites Studio-Games in the last time :)

Maybe we see a new impressive Killzone (like K1/2) in the next Years ?!

KazumaKiryu said:
Pok87 said:

Guerrilla Games
Horizon Zero Dawn - 89% (2017)

Insomniac Games
Ratchet & Clank - 85% (2016)
Marvel’s Spider-Man - 87% (2018)

Japan Studio
The Last Guardian - 82% (2016)

Gravity Rush 2 (2017)

Naughty Dog
The Last of Us - 95% (2013)
Uncharted 4 - 93% (2016)
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 84% (2017)
Coming soon: The Last of Us II

Santa Monica
God of War - 94% (2018)

Sucker Punch
Coming soon: Ghost of Tsushima

Guerilla has 2 teams? Then why are there 4 year gaps between games? 
Even so, I doubt it. Looking at KZ sales vs Horizon which arguably outsold the entire KZ franchise with one game, it’s clear Sony knows what their fans want. “Single player story driven 3rd person action adventure”. Seems to be the main recipe for their top games. PS gamers seem to not get enough of this so a FPS seems out of the cards right now. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Guerilla has 2 teams? Then why are there 4 year gaps between games? 
Even so, I doubt it. Looking at KZ sales vs Horizon which arguably outsold the entire KZ franchise with one game, it’s clear Sony knows what their fans want. “Single player story driven 3rd person action adventure”. Seems to be the main recipe for their top games. PS gamers seem to not get enough of this so a FPS seems out of the cards right now. 

From what I remember they created a new team after HZD.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."