By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - With Series X, Microsoft has no more excuses for first party software droughts

Angelus said:
vivster said:

I should've specified that I meant rational reasons. Of course there are tons of irrational reasons to believe someone who promised the same thing 100 times and never delivered.

No man, I totally agree with you. Investing money into various aspects of your business, and building up your infrastructure is definitely the same thing as making a bunch of noncommittal promises for marketing purposes.

Sooo, you're saying Xbox hasn't been building their business before this next gen? And they're only starting now? Well, what a lucky timeline for us. As they say, 4th time's the charm.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Angelus said:

No man, I totally agree with you. Investing money into various aspects of your business, and building up your infrastructure is definitely the same thing as making a bunch of noncommittal promises for marketing purposes.

Sooo, you're saying Xbox hasn't been building their business before this next gen? And they're only starting now? Well, what a lucky timeline for us. As they say, 4th time's the charm.

Very lucky. I'm glad we agree that the approach of constantly moneyhatting various developers that aren't actually under your umbrella, and empowering idiots who mismanage half the teams that are under your umbrella - which wasn't many to begin with - isn't exactly an expanding enterprise. 

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

Leave it to a console fan to think that you have to be a Pony to shit on Xbox.

That you missed the point shows that you have a problem.

Over the years I have seen plenty of people who stopped being fanboys of one brand and considered themselves enlightened, but all too often their previous fanboyism merely transfered from one brand to another one. In your case that would be a shift from PS to PC.

As a practical example, think of yourself from three years ago. Back then you had already completed your shift from PS to PC, but that didn't make your outlook for Nintendo Switch rational in any way. Pony or not, your posts were hot garbage. Even in the face of Switch's success, you still continued to cling on to an irrational outcome that could eventually see Nintendo games on the PC.

And now here you are, berating people about what is rational and what isn't while your own behavior is indistinguishable from an Xbox foeboy. Let's hope you are just messing around, but you've actually been consistent throughout Xbox-related threads lately.

My outlook for the Switch weren't predictions, they were feeble hopes and I stated so multiple times. And yes, I still hope it'll never reach 100m, despite it looking less and less likely.

My current belief that Xbox won't do much is based on data from the past 3 generations of Xbox, i.e. the only data there is. It would be stupid to think that we'd see a sudden shift when that has never happened before and when the Playstation brand is as strong as ever. If it turns out differently, cool, but that's not what experience has taught us.

I get that it's tough to get a full grasp of my actual leanings when I regularly shit on every platform, including PC, mobile, Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo. People rarely get to see all of them at once because they only walk among their own echo chambers. I also give props where it is due. For example I have a lot more respect for Xbox's business model than any other console, well, minus the paid online. I hate Sony a lot more than Xbox. The fact that I would never buy an Xbox is more of a testament to the things I like about them than anything else. They're the only console that doesn't force me to buy it.

People who react to me as if I was a fanboy or foeboy only reveal their own biases.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

My outlook for the Switch weren't predictions, they were feeble hopes and I stated so multiple times. And yes, I still hope it'll never reach 100m, despite it looking less and less likely.

My current belief that Xbox won't do much is based on data from the past 3 generations of Xbox, i.e. the only data there is. It would be stupid to think that we'd see a sudden shift when that has never happened before and when the Playstation brand is as strong as ever. If it turns out differently, cool, but that's not what experience has taught us.

I get that it's tough to get a full grasp of my actual leanings when I regularly shit on every platform, including PC, mobile, Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo. People rarely get to see all of them at once because they only walk among their own echo chambers. I also give props where it is due. For example I have a lot more respect for Xbox's business model than any other console, well, minus the paid online. I hate Sony a lot more than Xbox. The fact that I would never buy an Xbox is more of a testament to the things I like about them than anything else. They're the only console that doesn't force me to buy it.

People who react to me as if I was a fanboy or foeboy only reveal their own biases.

I'll focus on the bolded to keep this thread on topic. Your paragraph doesn't require many changes to match the thought processes that preceded 360 vs. PS3. What history has taught us is that the generational reset in the console business can change the fortunes of console manufacturers very fast. PS2 vs. Xbox was a clear win for Sony, PS3 vs. 360 was absolutely not a win for Sony, PS4 vs. XB1 was a clear win for Sony again. If you want it as simple as predicting a sudden shift based on historic sales data, then PS5 vs. XSX should be a significant loss in market share for Sony because so far a big shift has occured every generation between PS and Xbox. (That's not how proper analysis works, but you seem to prefer to simplify things beyond the point of rationality.)

For Microsoft's first party specifically, the sudden shift has already occured, but game development takes years, so it logically follows that the fruits of Microsoft's decisions won't be visible until years after the sudden shift had happened. Up till 2017, Microsoft's first party direction put an emphasis on the games as a service model and first party studios that failed to deliver got closed without any replacements for them. Beginning in 2018, Microsoft made moves to bolster their first party studios with several acquisitions. I don't need to explain that more studios mean that more games can be developed concurrently. Then again, this sequence of events has been lost on you, judging by your posts in this thread.

Sorry, but I've heard just too many times the beautiful phrase of "We are pumping so many resources in acquiring 1st party games, but please be patient because making games takes years". Well, many years have passed and nothing happened, so excuse me if I don't have much confidence in anyone claiming the exact thing right now.

As for the sudden shift, I don't see it. If anything the X360 showed how much weaker their brand is compared to Playstation. If I get a 90m head start in a 100m dash against Usain Bolt and finish a millisecond behind him, that doesn't mean I'm suddenly close to equal with him. No, it highlights even more how great Bolt is by still being able to win with such a handicap. Not only had the 360 a massive head start, every sale after it was basically compound interest due to a more competitive base and so many more people already jumping on it because there was no alternative. XSX doesn't have a massive head start this time and it looks like prices of both are gonna be competitive. PS5 is even in a way better position that the PS4 was since it is able to leverage a substantial fanbase and reconfirmed trust by consumers.

X1 once again confirmed that even coming from the strongest position they ever had, they couldn't capitalize on it. Why? Because they did not have any competitive 1st party offerings. They couldn't even be arsed to do it when they most needed it, so why would anyone believe that right now that suddenly is going to change? The hope for XSX to turn things around is about as feeble as my hope for a failed Switch.

I wish nothing more than Xbox completely crushing Playstation into oblivion, but I just can't see it.

Last edited by vivster - on 20 May 2020

Not sure what XSX has to do with it. But, yeah, they gotta deliver the games. Nobody is going to stay subbed to Gamepass long term if they only add one good exclusive a year.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
vivster said:

Microsoft had 3 generations of showing a strong 1st party lineup, they never delivered. There is absolutely no reason to believe it's gonna be different this time around.

We've been hearing about MS beefing up their 1st party for 15 years now.

Nope. No reason at all. They went out and acquired studios left and right pretty much for shits and giggles, because in reality they have no intentions of turning GamePass into the biggest service in gaming, or even if they did, they know that a steady stream of quality content independent of 3rd party reliance isn't particularly vital to that endeavor at all. 

They had opened a lot of studios and even TV/Movie ones this gen and we didn't see anything but closures.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

vivster said:

Microsoft had 3 generations of showing a strong 1st party lineup, they never delivered. There is absolutely no reason to believe it's gonna be different this time around.

We've been hearing about MS beefing up their 1st party for 15 years now.

In the past MS had brilliant console exclusives through partnerships which was a major factor in my ownership of the OG Xbox and 360. The lack of 1st party teams was really not noticable back then. 

Xbox- Knights of the Republic, Jad Empire, Fable, Morrowind, Halo (Dreamcast titles which werent on PS2/GC like Shemnue, Jet Set Radio)

360 started out extremely strong. In the second half of 2007 alone they had Mass Effect, Bioshock & Halo as exclusives.

I think people have forgotten how distinct of a gaming space Xbox used to be, particularly for western RPGs. 

Its only post 2009 that things really started to slow down and developers like Bioware who mostly operated in a PC/Xbox space started to go multiplatform.

It will be another year or 2 before we start seeing the fruits of their current aquisitions

TheMisterManGuy said:

A major problem with the Xbox One was its poor first party support. While Sony and Nintendo released a steady stream of great games for their platforms, the XBO was routinely plagued with lengthy software droughts on Microsoft's end. If you don't like Halo, Forza, or Gears, you were lucky to get two or three games published by Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios a year that weren't those. XGS has bulked up for the next generation significantly, and this year sees a much more consistent first party release schedule. A step in the right direction, but Microsoft needs to prove that it's learned from the Xbox One. That being, no more 7 month software droughts of first party games anymore. Nintendo's gotten over that shit, Microsoft should too. 

If we ever see a year like 2018 or 2019 from them again, then something is clearly wrong. 

When has Nintendo ever had 7 months with no first party game? If we are counting both handhelds and home consoles I don't think ever?

And to not count both is something I don't agree with because more than Sony and way more than Microsoft, Nintendo has had to split it's software divisions in half to satisfy gamers on both platforms. Now, with the Switch and going forward with a unified platform, that has even less of a chance of happening.

I know this is mostly off topic, but I don't get the shot taken at Nintendo in the op. Can you give me some years in which there were 7 month droughts of no first party games from them? Maybe I'm wrong.

Radek said:
Man, once they drop Xbox One in late 2021, they could do so much with these 12 Tflops....

Nintendo proves that power doesnt matter nearly as much as people seem to think.
What matters is the effort you put into makeing the games (which is the "main" issue xbox one had, not its power).

Haveing more powerfull hardware wont magically make games better to play,
they might not even make them better looking (if your not useing it, its just wasted).