Forums - Microsoft Discussion - With Series X, Microsoft has no more excuses for first party software droughts

A major problem with the Xbox One was its poor first party support. While Sony and Nintendo released a steady stream of great games for their platforms, the XBO was routinely plagued with lengthy software droughts on Microsoft's end. If you don't like Halo, Forza, or Gears, you were lucky to get two or three games published by Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios a year that weren't those. XGS has bulked up for the next generation significantly, and this year sees a much more consistent first party release schedule. A step in the right direction, but Microsoft needs to prove that it's learned from the Xbox One. That being, no more 7 month software droughts of first party games anymore. Nintendo's gotten over that shit, Microsoft should too. 

If we ever see a year like 2018 or 2019 from them again, then something is clearly wrong. 



Around the Network

Did they have excuses before?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Man, once they drop Xbox One in late 2021, they could do so much with these 12 Tflops....



RolStoppable said:
Did they have excuses before?

In a way they did. Microsoft Studios was decimated during most of the Xbox One days, cancelling tons of games, along with selling and closing many studios. By early 2018, they were down to just 6 teams, compared to the dozen or so teams its contemporaries had. Xbox Game Studios is now a much beefier house, but whether Microsoft will utilize it well remains to be seen. 



I agree. Xbox One struggled to release a consistent about of 1st party games. With that being said, I'm confident they are going to turn it around with the Series X. We already know of a handful of 1st party/3rd party exclusives, and they haven't even had their July showcasing yet.



Around the Network

Eeeeerrr if we follow from the Phill Spencer words it should have 3 or 4 1st party games per year so they won't need excuses.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Eeeeerrr if we follow from the Phill Spencer words it should have 3 or 4 1st party games per year so they won't need excuses.

It was actually Matt Booty who said that. Matt's the one in charge of XGS, Phill is in charge of Xbox as a whole. 



Microsoft had 3 generations of showing a strong 1st party lineup, they never delivered. There is absolutely no reason to believe it's gonna be different this time around.

We've been hearing about MS beefing up their 1st party for 15 years now.

Last edited by vivster - 6 days ago

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Microsoft had 3 generations of showing a strong 1st party lineup, they never delivered. There is absolutely no reason to believe it's gonna be different this time around.

We've been hearing about MS beefing up their 1st party for 15 years now.

Nope. No reason at all. They went out and acquired studios left and right pretty much for shits and giggles, because in reality they have no intentions of turning GamePass into the biggest service in gaming, or even if they did, they know that a steady stream of quality content independent of 3rd party reliance isn't particularly vital to that endeavor at all. 



Angelus said:
vivster said:

Microsoft had 3 generations of showing a strong 1st party lineup, they never delivered. There is absolutely no reason to believe it's gonna be different this time around.

We've been hearing about MS beefing up their 1st party for 15 years now.

Nope. No reason at all. They went out and acquired studios left and right pretty much for shits and giggles, because in reality they have no intentions of turning GamePass into the biggest service in gaming, or even if they did, they know that a steady stream of quality content independent of 3rd party reliance isn't particularly vital to that endeavor at all. 

I should've specified that I meant rational reasons. Of course there are tons of irrational reasons to believe someone who promised the same thing 100 times and never delivered.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.