By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't want to be a Playstation fanboy anymore :(

The VGC forum is...

FUN! 68 27.76%

A cesspool of fanboys 152 62.04%

The only option after the... 25 10.20%

Total:245

Hello, my name is vivster and I want to be a retired fanboy.

From whenever I can remember I was a fan of gaming. I admired all those who had gaming systems since I was never allowed as a kid to own one. I wasn't even allowed to buy a system with my own money. My mom was almost religiously against gaming in general and was adamant about me studying instead of having fun. I finally got the courage to save up enough money for my first console and just bought it. I was 15 and it was 2003 and it was a Nintendo 64, used. I was happy but still envious of all my pals playing with their PS2s. Especially Final Fantasy got to me. I played most of the FF games without even owning a PS2 or PS1 at my friend's house. Nevertheless I saw a good deal on the GC that time and bought it with some leftover money. Fun times but I knew my next console had to be a PS3. So I took all my graduation money and plunged it on a launch PS3. The first game I played on it was FF12.

By then I also owned a PC that wasn't made for gaming but enough to indulge myself in gaming journalism. My first contact with fan sites, fan news and fanboys. It was a nice feeling being connected to so many people who own and love the same console as me. And what was especially fun was trash talking other consoles I didn't own. I defended all Sony did with a passion by gleefully reporting all the mistake the competitors made.

Time went on and I matured and got a gaming PC. I played less and less with my PS3 part because the HDD was full and part because I couldn't take the graphics anymore after I saw the light and what hardware could actually do. I also got quite a bit into IT which is where I am fully employed now and which is my biggest passion besides gaming and Anime right now.

I joined this forum for nostalgia for my old fanboy days. I wasn't disappointed. The place is crawling with fanboys of every fandom and vocal ones no less. Always fun to watch them have a go at each other. I even joined for fun in some instances with matters of my heart. Though it's getting increasingly difficult to not be embarrassed. Even by the fandom I consider myself a part of.

The ACU meltdown was the last straw. In itself it was the usual fanboy meltdown and nothing to cough about. But since my stronger involvement in everything IT I've become allergic to anything that is spreading lies, misinformation or simply ignorance about technology. This shouldn't affect me much though since I'm surrounded by technologically ignorant people all the time.

But what really got me this time was that these kind of people who willfully ignored or weren't able to comprehend simple technological concepts were the same people who can't stop talking about pixels, framerates and other graphical features. I was almost shaking by embarrassment, anger and my crumbling world view.

I don't want to associate with those people anymore and I don't want to be associated with them. I still want to take jabs at every game manufacturer but where being called a fanboy was once a medal for me to wear is now a painful reminder what kind of people are out there.

So I renounce my faith. I will no longer be a fanboy of any console. I will now fight the good war against everything and for everything as I please.

So don't call me a fanboy or a hater as I will love and hate everything equally. "Asshole", "dick" and "unstoppable love machine" will suffice.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Fair enough. It's funny because the while ac unity thing is hilarious. Well at least ill enjoy the game in droves.

Just bent forward... Someone will do the rest

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I've never read beyond the third page of any topic on this site. The amount of baiting to see if you can get the other person banned with the same 12 people always posting is depressing. How can so many people spend so much time talking about something that they could actually instead be doing... it is beyond me.

So, good for you. I'm glad you've moved on. I actually logged in for once to post that. Oh, and to see if I could start a mafia game here, but that's beside the point.

TheAdjustmentBureau said:
Fair enough. It's funny because the while ac unity thing is hilarious. Well at least ill enjoy the game in droves.

I'm sure I will too but that 900p think made me seriously consider if I would really get it for PS4. This was a no brainer a week ago but now it's 50/50 for PC/PS4.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Well, hopefully, this is a great step forward for u

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CavemanCavan said:
I've never read beyond the third page of any topic on this site. The amount of baiting to see if you can get the other person banned with the same 12 people always posting is depressing. How can so many people spend so much time talking about something that they could actually instead be doing... it is beyond me.

So, good for you. I'm glad you've moved on. I actually logged in for once to post that. Oh, and to see if I could start a mafia game here, but that's beside the point.

I absolutely understand the motives of fans. I have several fandoms myself and it just feels good to stand up for something. It's a nice feeling and it's different from the nice feeling you get from gaming. Talking about your hobby is often about as fun as doing your hobby. I don't condemn fans, I condemn the willfully ignorant trying to spread lies.

I could usually tell by the title or the poster of how the thread will go. So I usually try to stay away from all that nonsense and not get myself involved in any of the console wars.

Never thought you were playstation fan. Lol. Good decision.

First off, I think its flat out hypocritic if anyone on VGC claims they aren't a fanboy of some sort. Its pretty much a requirement to be on here. But then again, especially considering that this place is a "cesspool of fanboys" its actually pretty civil compared to the sporadic fanboy bursts you may see on other sites. I like to think of it as organized chaos.

In light of all that, the ACU "meltdown" doesn't surprise me one bit. Fanboys have a way of simply being for or against. It doesn't matter what is right or what is wrong, what they know or what they don't; all that matters is if they are for or against. Again, another requirement. If you can get that, then its pretty easy to filter out the sane from the insane.

I will put it this way. For the record, its not about 900p/1080p. Its not even about parity. Its about parity in the wrong direction and the admittance of such. If Ubisoft got ACU to run at 1080p, I doubt PS fans would be saying the game should run at 1440p on the PS4. If both games ran at 900p, then the PS4 fans would look at textures or shadow or geometry details to get there "ours is better fix" and everything would still be ok. THE PROBLEM, is that ubisoft admitted to making one version worse so it is on par with another version. And more so claiming that they did that to make everyone happy.

Now back to fanboyism, if you look at the facts above and somehow have a problem with PS fans taking the stance they have, then it means you are most like an XB/nintendo fan; cause lets be honest... how wrong that whole thing is obvious except to those that are not interested in facts or right or wrong but more interested in sides.

The way I see it, I really would just like gamers to be at least united when it comes to certain things. Its almost as if gamers forget that they actually pay for these things. Its not like these things are given to us for free. Time and time again platform holders and publishers have shown just how much they are willing to fuck us over if we let them. To me, its all about winning the little battles, the only way these companies will listen to and/or respect their customers is if you take money outta their pockets. I don't mind the infighting between fans, but I would like to think that when it comes to certain industry wide problems, we would at least stand united.