By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Nintendo Directs currently planned for the rest of the year

Okay, as long as we get new game announcements/trailers. I usually don't watch the actual directs anyway.

Around the Network

"These are mad times we live in! Mad!"
But as long as there are still announcements, that's fine. There have been Nintendo Directs that I have really been disappointed in because it's a 30+ minute slog of games I'm not interested in. This a la carte reveal strategy could work for the rest of this year.
Nintendo better drop some first-party trailers next month for games coming out this year and next year.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I don't like 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That is sad.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The report says that Nintendo doesn't have any planned at the moment, not that it wont have any direct this year.

But yeah, sucks if true.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

The thing I worry about is Nintendo sometimes has a tendency that when they realize a bare minimum is possible to stick to that.

So if they feel like this setup works just fine they may just scrap Directs entirely or make them very rare, like once a year.

I don't get it lol...What is especially complicated in recording a direct when you are in lock down/pandemic situation ?

We are ALL coming to work at the offices where I am, and it is the same planet as you all.

Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

I will riot if I do not get a Bayo 3 trailer this summer. If we don't, then you cannot convince me it's not dead.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Amnesia said:

I don't get it lol...What is especially complicated in recording a direct when you are in lock down/pandemic situation ?

We are ALL coming to work at the offices where I am, and it is the same planet as you all.

There's that too, really it could be done with just one videographer who knows what he/she is doing (how to set up a couple of lights and a audio lav) and Koizumi for example. They can even social distance as there's no real need to be within 6 feet of each other. You don't need a full blown camera crew to do this type of thing. 

Or you could just not have the Koizumi segments but have him narrate. 

Amnesia said:

Making a direct is not as simple as editing a video.

First, you have to contact third party developers and arrange for them to make trailers for you. And during this time, they may be facing a number of problems relating to the quarantines, and may not deliver the trailers or information in time, if at all. Then Nintendo would have to decide what to show and what to not show.For that, they need to study if it is worthwhile to show a game that is 1 year away or not, among other variables.

Then Nintendo needs to contact its own development teams and have them make trailers.Then these development teams have to think about how to make an awesome trailers with what they have, take footage out of their builds, discuss on how to frame these trailers, and so on.And that's all assuming that they either have the equipment they need to record/prepare the footage at home, or be able to go to his workplace to do that.And finally give back to Nintendo marketing team what they have.

Finally they have to piece together what they have into what we consider nowadays a Direct.And that's all while they have to deal with working from home, having difficulties setting up meetings, communications being slower, not knowing how the economy will be affected, how long development of their games will take due to the inevitable delays, etc.

It's not as easy as people make it seem to be.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1