By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Nintendo Directs currently planned for the rest of the year

I never liked shadow dropping announcements.

With a direct first I can look forward to the direct and then look forward to the games.
And, I really like that several games are showed at the same time. A short gameplay segment can get me interested in a new game that on announced on its own, I wouldn't check out at all.

But I'm also part of the small crowd that do not mind announcements of games still over a year away from release.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Nautilus said:

Making a direct is not as simple as editing a video.

First, you have to contact third party developers and arrange for them to make trailers for you. And during this time, they may be facing a number of problems relating to the quarantines, and may not deliver the trailers or information in time, if at all. Then Nintendo would have to decide what to show and what to not show.For that, they need to study if it is worthwhile to show a game that is 1 year away or not, among other variables.

Then Nintendo needs to contact its own development teams and have them make trailers.Then these development teams have to think about how to make an awesome trailers with what they have, take footage out of their builds, discuss on how to frame these trailers, and so on.And that's all assuming that they either have the equipment they need to record/prepare the footage at home, or be able to go to his workplace to do that.And finally give back to Nintendo marketing team what they have.

Finally they have to piece together what they have into what we consider nowadays a Direct.And that's all while they have to deal with working from home, having difficulties setting up meetings, communications being slower, not knowing how the economy will be affected, how long development of their games will take due to the inevitable delays, etc.

It's not as easy as people make it seem to be.

Easy or hard, it's still well within the realm of feasible.  I don't know who is feeding the lie, Nintendo or just unfounded rumors, but if Nintendo has no Directs planned, it's not for logistical reasons.  It's for strategic reasons.  They made a decision not to do it.

As for whether this is good or not.  Psychologically, it's not good.  Nintendo's marketing has been very good at focusing attention on the Directs.  We get a rising tension as we figure enough time has passed and we'll be getting another one soon.  Just as importantly, we get a fallow period afterwards where we can rest as fans in preparation for the next hype cycle.  Asking the world to live in a perpetual state of readiness for news will just psychologically wear people out.  People need breaks between hype waves or, eventually, no anticipation will just turn into apathy until something drops.  Maybe this week was cool where it felt like anything could drop, but four months from now?  It cannot be sustained.

It's not hard, but it takes time.

I do agree with you about it being feasible, but between having the hassle of forcing your developers to do whatever it takes to get a trailer ready, with the launch day of said title an unknown at the moment, and just waiting it out, Nintendo made the logical decision. Especially considering how well the Switch is selling right now.

I don't like it, because I love directs, but I understand it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

They probably need a break from it to revamp them.

Last one wasn't great.

Jranation said:
Good. People wont get overhype then gets mad when the direct doesn't meet their expectations.

Well there are already people mad about Origami King, but it's safe to say that still would have happened if it was shown in a direct instead. Expectations can be a factor sure, but it's ultimately the content itself that matters.

I don't think its just that Directs could be hard to make. I think with them announcing several games at once, it could be hard to stick to every release date in a turbulent year. Much easier to announce them one at a time. Make sure each one can meet the release.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
I don't think its just that Directs could be hard to make. I think with them announcing several games at once, it could be hard to stick to every release date in a turbulent year. Much easier to announce them one at a time. Make sure each one can meet the release.

Well plenty of games don't get a release date in a direct, MP4/Zelda botw 2?/No more heroes 3.   It is just fun to watch. 

konnichiwa said:
KLXVER said:

Well plenty of games don't get a release date in a direct, MP4/Zelda botw 2?/No more heroes 3.   It is just fun to watch. 

True, but they usually get an estimated time. We don't know how the situation will be in the near future.

Mamma mia! :O

Is this the beginning of the end for the switch? with the arriving of the next gen and the uncompatibility of the switch with most of the games of this generation, this makes big third party games pretty impossible to be announced.Thus, nintendo is compelled to do its own games, but how much would they be able to make? considering that a decent game may take 3-5 years to develop, aren't we able to question about either they already shot all their bullets or not (despite smaller franchises that may come or not)? isn't that one of the main reasons that Nintendo is cancelling the directs as a concept?
Gameplay is certainly good, but being highly underpowered compared to your generation will oblige you to do your path alone without big franchises of third party that will go solemnly to other consoles and that might have filled the vacant dates.
The question here is How many aces are left up nintendo's sleeves to save the remaining years of the switch and will they be able to rescue themselves from drowning now that they will be soon two generation late in terms of harware power.
Wii did well despite its limits, hope switch continues to perform well.

heavenmercenary01 said:
Is this the beginning of the end for the switch? with the arriving of the next gen and the uncompatibility of the switch with most of the games of this generation, this makes big third party games pretty impossible to be announced.Thus, nintendo is compelled to do its own games, but how much would they be able to make? considering that a decent game may take 3-5 years to develop, aren't we able to question about either they already shot all their bullets or not (despite smaller franchises that may come or not)? isn't that one of the main reasons that Nintendo is cancelling the directs as a concept?
Gameplay is certainly good, but being highly underpowered compared to your generation will oblige you to do your path alone without big franchises of third party that will go solemnly to other consoles and that might have filled the vacant dates.
The question here is How many aces are left up nintendo's sleeves to save the remaining years of the switch and will they be able to rescue themselves from drowning now that they will be soon two generation late in terms of harware power.
Wii did well despite its limits, hope switch continues to perform well.

Agree, at this point Nintendo needs to just forget about 3rd parties on Switch and find something in themselves to keep the switch alive for a couple years.

A the same time they need to refocus with the 3rd parties for next gen and work out what they want from Nintendo.

For starters, to many 3rd party publishers taking the piss with their releases on switch, so that needs to be fixed for next genm or that console will be a big disappointment. I don't get why Nintendo even bothers promoting those games in their directs to only leave a sour taste when you get excited about it to find out it is half arsed.

For example, I was looking forward to Bioshock Collection and Borderlands Collection, however when you read the fine print  It mskes you wonder what you are buying

"BioShock RemasteredBioshock 2 Remastered, and BioShock Infinite: The Complete Edition included on the 16gb cartridge. Additional content available via download." These games were bigger than 16gb, so what are we getting on the switch lol.

"Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition on game cartridge, Borderlands 2 download code, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel download code". Sold a a complete collection but 2/3rd of it is digital lol