By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gamers: Are You Planning on Upgrading your SSD's/HDDs?

Where do you keep your Games?

HDD (Not planning to upgrade) 5 17.86%

HDD (Planning to Upgrade) 4 14.29%

Sata SSD (Not Planning to Upgrade) 6 21.43%

Sata SSD (Planning to Upgrade) 3 10.71%

PCI Gen 3.0 SSD (Not planning to Upgrade) 5 17.86%

PCI Gen 3.0 SSD (planning to Upgrade) 0 0%

PCI Gen 4.0 SSD (Not planning to Upgrade) 2 7.14%

PCI Gen 4.0 SSD (planning to Upgrade) 3 10.71%

Total:28

I want to put a SSD on my regular desktop.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I planned to replace some of the main components of my PC later this year but, due to some unnexpected expenses, that will have to wait until next year.

The plan was to upgrade to a mid-range NVMe drive for OS and other software (probably a 500GB drive as the 250GB SSD I have now is too small) and a large, maybe 2TB SSD for games.

Between that most GPUs nowadays have 8GB of VRAM and, say, another 16GB of system RAM (much faster than any SSD), most devs shouldn't have problems running their games on such kind of PC.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nope. I have 1 500GB and 1 250GB SSD and see no reason to upgrade those anytime soon. Very much doubt any game is going to be too big to fit on the 500 GB one, especially the kind of games I play. I've only played 2 games over 10GB so far this year.

In general, the larger the game, the smaller the play time, in my case. There are exceptions like GT Sport and Death Stranding. Yet usually those huge games are single player story driven games which are great, but finish quickly and delete.

I just want next gen to start already, new vr headset, next gen vr games, no more move hopefully. And maybe my decision on what game to pop on won't be influenced by the loading times anymore. For that PC needs to start loading smarter as well, since even with a fast SSD loading times are still too long imo.

2 of my drives are 7 years old so yes.

4 ≈ One

Due to my old PC's death, I must replace it earlier than I hoped, so I'm building a cheap temporary upgrade. Hence I'll stick to HDD's for now, and when SSD's with large capacity will be cheaper, and the tech will allow a larger number of rewrites before failure, I'll add to my next major upgrade a SSD too, using it for the things that it can improve the most, while HDD storage will be for everything that doesn't need the largest possible boost.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Does building a new rig count? My old one still runs on a HDD, the new one is supposed to get 2 SSD (1 480 GB-1TB NVMe for the OS and a second one, either 1-2 TB NVMe or SATA, for the bulk of the data (and a 4-8 TB WD Red for all the pictures, videos, installers, BOINC, and so on - though that could become an external drive)

I've only got one HDD and that's 2tb, so that's the only thing holding me back in the storage dept. Other than that I've got 4 other SSD's, with the OS being on one of them. Only parts I'll need to upgrade down the line are the CPU/GPU and probably a 32gb kit of RAM, though I might just wait for the next memory leap, so I can get more out of it for my vid editing.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I'm running first gen Ryzen 7 with crucial 1TB SSD. I can't remember the speeds but it's more than fast enough for me and I've been running it for three years.

I don't think developers are gonna abandon HDDs since all it means is longer load times.

Happy with my current SSD. It's not holding me back yet.

Probably upgrade when PCI-E 5.0 nVME drives happen next year.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I guess I will upgrade to a nVME when I build my next PC, it might be in 1 year, might be in 5.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.