By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gamers: Are You Planning on Upgrading your SSD's/HDDs?

Where do you keep your Games?

HDD (Not planning to upgrade) 5 17.86%

HDD (Planning to Upgrade) 4 14.29%

Sata SSD (Not Planning to Upgrade) 6 21.43%

Sata SSD (Planning to Upgrade) 3 10.71%

PCI Gen 3.0 SSD (Not planning to Upgrade) 5 17.86%

PCI Gen 3.0 SSD (planning to Upgrade) 0 0%

PCI Gen 4.0 SSD (Not planning to Upgrade) 2 7.14%

PCI Gen 4.0 SSD (planning to Upgrade) 3 10.71%

Total:28

I highly doubt that developers would alienate a large portion of their potential audience. Many people are still using regular HDDs or possibly a small SATA SSD to go along with it.

I have GEN3.0 nvme drives in both my desktop and my gaming laptop. Desktop (3900X/X570 Aorus Master) has a 1TB Samsung 960 Pro and 960GB Corsair MP510 and my 15" Razer Blade Advanced also has a 1TB 960 Pro. My X570 motherboard is capable of GEN4.0 SSDs, but I have no reason to upgrade. I still have my old (former boot drive) 480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SATA SSD in there as well.

I'm not sure why anybody would stick to a conventional HDD when even Sata SSDs are a huge upgrade over them as a boot drive. For storage a regular HDD is fine. I even threw a 120GB SSD in a retro PC (Win98SE/Pentium 3) that I'm putting together (with an IDE->SATA adapter) and it makes it super responsive!

It's strange that Samsung is calling their EVO drives, MLC. The EVO line is marketed at a lower price using TLC compared to MLC in the PRO line.

Last edited by smbu2000 - on 20 May 2020

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"