By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm playing Resident Evil VII. Let's talk about it? (No spoilers, please)

Tagged games:

I like Resident Evil. Aside from 4, I played every mainline game and some side titles (Survivor, Code Veronica X, Outbreak, Umbrella Chronicles). And now I'm playing RE VII.

I really liked Resident Evil 6, but I understand that a lot of people hated it, and it would be dangerous for Capcom to make a sequel with the same style. So, when I first saw the gameplay trailer at E3, I was very curious to see how a first person survival horror game, with focus on exploration would work as a Resident Evil title.

I'm about 3 hours in. So far, I really loved the graphics and the gameplay. It's tense, scary, and the sound effects are amazing. It's very creepy how the house keeps making noises, and you don't know when something will jump at you. I love Outlast, so I think the comparisons are inevitable, but I think they have enough differences. Also, the combat in RE7 is very good.

The puzzles and exploration are really enjoyable. I like to take my time and explore every place, and the game let you do it, since the enemies don't pop out of nowhere. I saw some people complaining about the game not having random encounters, but on the other hand, I'm enjoying it.

So, let's talk about the game. But please, avoid the following spoilers:

- Plot and Ending

- Puzzle Solutions

- Game length

Other than that, feel free to talk. I'm not going to spoil the details, but let's say I just found a "Scorpion Key" to open doors with a scorpion decoration.

Boy, I'm enjoying this game a lot. I'm even hyped for a future Resident Evil VIII.

Around the Network

Believe me, the Outlast comparisons ends rather soon, compared to where you are, and the game becomes more akin to the first RE than any other. More than it already is, anyways.

But yeah, its an excellent game and the game that brought Capcom back to form. It has its small flaws, which I cant talk about, but enjoy it because god dammit, its freaking great.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Believe me, the Outlast comparisons ends rather soon, compared to where you are, and the game becomes more akin to the first RE than any other. More than it already is, anyways.

Yeah, I'm having a lot of "RE1 in first person" feelings already.

Great game. Really good setting and vibe. It suffers from one of the main problems inherent in survival horror though. You want the player to feel a sense of progression as the story goes along, but the more powerful the player gets, the less scary the game becomes. By the end I was feeling pretty comfortable.

Yeah, I was afraid at first that it will try to copy Outlast, but other than being set in 1st person it's nothing (luckily) like it. Its a masterpiece IMO and one of my favorite games of this generation.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Took me quite a while to warm up to it because the first impressions weren't good. Significantly adjusting up brightness and stick sensitivity is basically a must to get started, being chased around by an overpowered enemy while you still have to orientate yourself in the house isn't fun.

The cast of characters wasn't anywhere close to as memorable and likeable as in the early Resident Evil games. The only main RE I haven't played through remains 6, but the demo I played strongly hinted at a train wreck of a game, so RE7 is definitely a step back in the right direction, albeit still a good distance away from the better games in the series (0, 1, 2, CV, 4) and therefore more fitting to be put in the same group as 3 and 5.

Good point, but IMO that is mostly down to the third act. The Baker family is awesome but it does feel like they forgot a bit about them one time during development. Still, IMO they are arguably one of the best villains the series had seen up there with the Nemesis and Wesker. 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I like Resident Evil. Aside from 4, I played every mainline game and some side titles (Survivor, Code Veronica X, Outbreak, Umbrella Chronicles). And now I'm playing RE VII.

I really liked Resident Evil 6, but I understand that a lot of people hated it, and it would be dangerous for Capcom to make a sequel with the same style. So, when I first saw the gameplay trailer at E3, I was very curious to see how a first person survival horror game, with focus on exploration would work as a Resident Evil title.

I'm about 3 hours in. So far, I really loved the graphics and the gameplay. It's tense, scary, and the sound effects are amazing. It's very creepy how the house keeps making noises, and you don't know when something will jump at you. I love Outlast, so I think the comparisons are inevitable, but I think they have enough differences. Also, the combat in RE7 is very good.

The puzzles and exploration are really enjoyable. I like to take my time and explore every place, and the game let you do it, since the enemies don't pop out of nowhere. I saw some people complaining about the game not having random encounters, but on the other hand, I'm enjoying it.

So, let's talk about the game. But please, avoid the following spoilers:

- Plot and Ending

- Puzzle Solutions

- Game length

Other than that, feel free to talk. I'm not going to spoil the details, but let's say I just found a "Scorpion Key" to open doors with a scorpion decoration.

Boy, I'm enjoying this game a lot. I'm even hyped for a future Resident Evil VIII.

Oh, so you are just missing the masterpiece of the series.

This game is just great and the atmosphere is even better, gave me the feels of the original RE.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I played this on PSVR and it was easily one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It was also terrifying to the point where I bought all of the DLC but I'm afraid to play it. Can't imagine playing it the normal way, now.

d21lewis said:
I played this on PSVR and it was easily one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It was also terrifying to the point where I bought all of the DLC but I'm afraid to play it. Can't imagine playing it the normal way, now.

The PSVR on RE7 was something phenomenal, just fantastic and immersive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."