By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where the Hell is Google's First party Stadia Games?

TheMisterManGuy said:

It'll probably get better down the line, but the inability to have a tangible first party lineup ready for launch is IMO, the most boneheaded mistake Google made with the service so far. I think people can forgive the other problems with Stadia, if it at least had a library of compelling First Party Software exclusive to it, but it doesn't, so its flaws become even more apparent. Third Party Games give a platform market relevance, but First Party Games give a platform its personality. They help define the console's style, its features, its unique position in the market. Right now, aside from the novelty of Streaming, Stadia has no first party games, so as far as I'm concerned, it has no personality, no style, no uniqueness.

Indeed. I was more optimistic about the service and its potential before we had all the details and its underwhelming release. I expected a big first party title that leveraged Stadia's infrastructure for an experience that wouldn't have been possible before (the next step in massive multiplayer, for instance). No first party content in sight to separate the service from the rest has definitely been a huge misstep. If they don't deliver the goods this is gonna continue to flop hard. Maybe MS will pick it up if Google keeps dropping the ball.

Around the Network

Stadia is still a thing?

S.Peelman said:
Stadia is still a thing?

Nope

The 1st party exclusives are where the customers are; nowhere. Seriously, I know a whole lot of nerds (and even other folks) but not a single soul who has Stadia. My impression is that nerds don't care for it one bit, I count myself among these, and more casual consumers don't even know that it exists. And none of this has even touched on their failure to deliver on the lofty technical promises that everyone and their dogs knew weren't feasible to begin with.

Don't worry, they'll announce an exclusive and months before the release the service will close down. No refunds.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

E3 2021 they will announce they have taken a majority stake in xcloud

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

They just opened studios. You won't see AAA games before 2024. Google don't care if it will take 4-5 years, they are investing in Stadia for the long term as part of their Cloud platform.

Otter said:
Leynos said:

I don't support a future where corps control ownership like this. Pay full price for something you don't own on top of a sub fee. Google is the worst place for any of them. They shut shit down all the time so once they shut it down. Poof boom your games are gone. The consumer should be in control. Not the corporation. Removing less control for the consumer is anti-consumer. Stadia has failed and will die the death it deserves. I'm against anti-consumer. With BS practices like this in the 90s, I would not be able to play many of my fave games now. In 20 years I can play the games I own. In 2 years Stadia will be listed on the killed by Google Website.

literally no different from digital purchases on playstation or Xbox. 

Incorrect.  If Sony went out of business tomorrow, I can still play PSN digital games.

Plus not to mention that PSN digital games can be downloaded illegally through special ROM sites (although I probably shouldn't say here where to get them).  So these games can be played either on jailbroken hardware or via emulation far into the future.

Once stadia dies, those games are gone for good.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

only777 said:
Otter said:

literally no different from digital purchases on playstation or Xbox. 

Incorrect.  If Sony went out of business tomorrow, I can still play PSN digital games.

Plus not to mention that PSN digital games can be downloaded illegally through special ROM sites (although I probably shouldn't say here where to get them).  So these games can be played either on jailbroken hardware or via emulation far into the future.

Once stadia dies, those games are gone for good.

I was talking about the subscription model of paying for individual games, whilst also having a monthly fee. You're discussing streaming as a technology, which as I said isn't for anyone who is a afraid of being locked out of content in 5 years. But if someone doesn't want to spend $299 on hardware just to play a few games, this is a good solution for them.

Well your OP is motive for hapyness, the less good exclusives on the service the less people not playing Stadia will miss.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."