By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Third party games lacking this gen?

Anyone else feel like third parties this gen have failed to match last gen input?

As with every gen, there have been some really good and memorable games, however I feel there has been a decline compared to last gen.

Where are the Mass Effects and Dead Spaces of the world? Bioshock?

Batman has decreased in quality. Fallout as well.

No Elders Scrolls.

The standout this gen is quite possibly Witcher 3 and that is just 1 game in a series while last gen had a quite a few memorable series as a while.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I'm kinda "busy" at the moment ( UFC ), so I won't go into detail, but I've been very happy with third party games this gen, and don't feel there's been a decline in quality or output. Currently enjoying Far Cry 4, and hoping it doesn't fall apart at the seams. Just encountered a nasty bug that forced me to re-do a campaign mission. Ugh. Fingers crossed, because when it works, it's pretty great.

-Just gonna add that Nintendo's been getting objectively better 3rd party support this gen compared to what they had with the Wii-U, and the best they've had since the SNES.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 13 May 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Completely agree; there has been a sharp drop in quality from third parties in the current gen compared to the 7th.

So much so that where I was compelled to buy an Xbox 360 last gen to keep up with the many third party titles I felt I couldn't miss out on, this gen I've been quite contend to skip PS4/Xbone as the vast majority of third party games look so unappealing.

Last gen we had so many exciting new IPs, now it seems almost everything is the same homogenous broth of cinematic/open world mush or mindless skinnerbox looter shooter.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 May 2020

Last gen is one of the absolute greatest for a reason.

Fuck yes...

Rockstar for example had these for the ps3:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Red Dead Redemption
L.A. Noire
Max Payne 3
Grand Theft Auto V

Vs Ps4:
Red Dead Redemption 2

Technically there was also these for the ps4:
GTA V
L.A. Noire

But both of those were just enhanced versions of the ps3 ones...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

3rd Party is the vast majority of my library, so I think they are doing great!

Bloodborne,
Nier Automata,
DQXI,
Persona 5,
Nioh,
Nioh 2,
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII,XIV,
Monster Hunter World
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
FFXIV
Disgaea 5

etc. etc.

Captain_Yuri said:

Fuck yes...

Rockstar for example had these for the ps3:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Red Dead Redemption
L.A. Noire
Max Payne 3
Grand Theft Auto V

Vs Ps4:
Red Dead Redemption 2

Technically there was also these for the ps4:
GTA V
L.A. Noire

But both of those were just enhanced versions of the ps3 ones...

Ports and remasters were done to death this gen!

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

axumblade said:
It definitely doesn't hold up compared to last generation. I think the biggest issue with this generation was it's obsession with remastering and remaking games instead of focusing on new games. I do love a good remake but it's getting old. It's not just 3rd parties though.

Yes! Thank you!

So, so sick of the endless regurgitation of old games instead of making new ones.

Dont know how much I agree with this, they certainly feel less in number, but the more memorable ones outstage several of my favorite 3rd party games of last gen so I cant quite complaint about it. Off the top of my head, Bloodborne, MHW: Iceborne, Witcher 3, DQII, RDR2, Nier Automata, Uncharted IV, Dark Souls 3 are amongst my all time favorites. 
Im fine with franchises like Mass Effect and Dead Space dying out since those franchises fell from grace-IMO- since last gen, but this gen could've used some more horror games. Other than Bloodborne, RE7 and the ReRemakes and other last gen remasters I dont recall any memorable one, I dont think Alien Isolation or Until Dawn are on par. 

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 13 May 2020

Memory fails me a bit right now but on a first glance, maybe you're right. Ubisoft's biggest bet this gen, Watch_Dogs, turned out to be soso compared to Assassin's Creed, which still makes noise, although they managed to do ok with smaller hits like For Honor and Rainbow Six Siege. There were some other big guns from other companies like DOOM and Metal Gear Solid V, also.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.