By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Third party games lacking this gen?

There are definitely some great third party games this gen, like Doom, Hellblade, Witcher 3, etc, but I feel like for every 1 this gen I could name like 2-3 from last gen.

My 360 collection is huge and overwhelmingly third party, plus I have over 20 third party games on Wii. This gen I have like 14 on Switch and not enough that I want on PS4/Xbone to compel me to buy one to play them.

I hope next gen doesn't make them even more risk averse as the cost of development increases. I want to see more bold and exciting new IPs, like we had in the 7th gen with Bioshock, Dead Space, Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

There are definitely some great third party games this gen, like Doom, Hellblade, Witcher 3, etc, but I feel like for every 1 this gen I could name like 2-3 from last gen.

My 360 collection is huge and overwhelmingly third party, plus I have over 20 third party games on Wii. This gen I have like 14 on Switch and not enough that I want on PS4/Xbone to compel me to buy one to play them.

I hope next gen doesn't make them even more risk averse as the cost of development increases. I want to see more bold and exciting new IPs, like we had in the 7th gen with Bioshock, Dead Space, Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc.

Will depend on the developer and the state of said series: say what you will about Ubisoft but they're not exactly against new I.P's unlike say...Activision. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

agreed 100 percent i bought more third party games on my 360 than on my ps4 and xbox one combined

Well I follow much more closely Sony IPs and I have been satisfied, but yes there is less titles both from Sony. On third party front I guess the real quality ones I have just as much for my taste.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I didn't care for most of those big franchises. The fact games like Astebreed, Ruiner, Nex Machina, Bomberman R, Puyo Puyo, and shmups and ports of Saturn/Dreamcast/90s Arcade games on PS4/Switch and physical versions made me happier this gen than last. The only complaint I really have is good sci-fi TPS are missing. Armored Core is missing tho I liked Daemon X Machina. The last-gen was loaded with those. I took it as a tradeoff. I would also like to see the return of the B game. Those middleware games from studios. I'm glad Mass Effect and batman kinda died out. Otherwise, be like Assassin's Creed and make them every time someone farts in the wind. Yes, Odyssey was good but series peaked with II in storytelling. Franchises don't always need to go on forever.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!