By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country 1 vs 2

I think the best is...

Donkey Kong Country 12 32.43%

Donkey Kong Country 2 25 67.57%

Total:37

Between DK's blockbuster 1994 comeback and the 1995 sequel, which do you think is better, and why?

Around the Network

2. Animal friends were more fun to use, better level design IMO, and much better use of collectables that actually makes you care about looking for them.

JWeinCom said:
2. Animal friends were more fun to use, better level design IMO, and much better use of collectables that actually makes you care about looking for them.

Yes! All of the above, and; the music! The soundtracks are both beautiful, but 2's music is just consistently great!

DKC2 by far. The characters were more fun to play with thanks to each having their own standout abilities. The levels were more varied, the bosses more fun, and the soundtrack was just all around better.

I played DKC1 a lot more, so I won't say which is better but I certainly enjoyed the first more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

2 by a wide margin. 2 had better graphics, sound design, level design, theming, bonus stages, more to do, was longer, had more varied design aspects, (So much so that now I wanna play it again.)

I think the real fight is between 2 and 3. I say that because 2 had the better theme, art direction, and sound, while I thought 3 had better level design, more to do, and all the aspects where it lost to 2, it still did astoundingly well. 2 and 3 are equal to me, but I still think 2 is the most memorable due to the pirate theme.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

2 is the better game in every regard, specially music. DKC2 is actually my second favorite platformer of all time, behind SMB3.

Valdney said:
2 is the better game in every regard, specially music. DKC2 is actually my second favorite platformer of all time, behind SMB3.

My favourite platformers (in no particular order);

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario World

Donkey Kong Country

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

Mega Man X

Mega Man X2

Mega Man X3

Mega Man 2

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Ratchet & Clank (as a series? not sure if this counts, more like shooters)

Minecraft/Terraria

The Messenger

Axiom Verge

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Megaman 11

Megaman 3

Rayman Legends

Rayman Origins

Joe and Mac

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Played DKC1. A bunch of years later I bought DKC2 because I heard it was the best of the bunch but only played it a bit. But DKC1 was such a fantastic game.

Slightly off topic, but, I heard DKC Tropical Breeze was super good so I bought it a while back but it doesn't feel like it has the magic of the originals. Like it's an OK game, but I've only managed to play if for an hour or two because I play it for like 20 minutes at a time then I'm like eh whatever. That and NSMBUD both feel underwhelming. Maybe its just because indie 2D platformers have gotten so good that these classic series seem kinda boring now. Anybody think DKC Tropical Breeze really isn't that interesting? Or should I play more into it and it will get better?

It kinda hurts to say this because I loved the original DKC so much but...DKC is a great looking game while DKC2 was a great game that looked good. One of the most worthy sequels ever.