By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do you care about the graphical leap between consoles at this point?

Vodacixi said:
At this point I'm most interested in the raw processing jump rather than the graphical one. Especially in the AI department. It's 2020 and most NPCs/enemies behave just like they did 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. But I guess it will still take another generation until we see significant changes...

This is ultra specifically what I want from next gen games. I'm so sick and tired of AI having poor path finding, repeating the same 3-5 lines of dialogue, as well as not being able to do much, outside of players triggering certain events/NPC anchor points.

I want a game with AI that's able to think for itself within the game's world. I want to be able to convince certain AI to do their own quest, instead of always treating me like I'm the game world's magical butler (the vast if not all of RPG's/FPS games). I also want AI to be efficient in combat technique and maneuvers, instead of what we currently have, which are bots that just hide behind walls or peak around the same corner.

Also, for the love of god, make AI that do not RUBBER-BAND, or have to always see the entirety of a map. I'm so god damn sick of playing RTS games or any game that features stealth play, because 9/10 the AI knows 100% exactly where you are (like all the Fallout/Skyrim games, the AI always knows your location, and pretend like they don't, or C&C games that feature stealthed units, and the AI heads straight for them, making stealth/cloaking tech utterly useless). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

The last time I was excited about "next gen" graphics was 7th gen, but 7th gen was probably the smallest leap in how good graphics looked since 3rd to 4th gen. Since then it's been purely incremental.

Games are a lot more important, and by that score, the Switch blew away the PS4 and Xbox One. I am kind of curious to see how the PS5's much-vaunted HDD enhances games.

If I had to assign an importance factor for graphics, I would say it comes in very low. In fact, I've been having much more fun with games that don't have super high-end graphics more than those that do.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
mZuzek said:

PS1 to PS2 was a small leap?!

Relative to the generational leap preceding or following it, yes. SNES/Genesis to PS1/N64/Saturn was huge. PS1/N64/Saturn to PS2/Gamecube/XBOX was not nearly as big. It was a leap, but not nearly as big a leap. And then PS2 to PS3/XBOX 360 was gigantic. And in this case, the leap will be smaller than the PS1 to PS2 which is to say, not very big at all.

There is a massive leap between one of the Nintendo 64's best looking games, Perfect Dark and the Original Xbox's best looking games like Ninja Gaidan Black or Halo 2, heck even Morrowind.

Whenever you start comparing the most powerful console of a generation to the weakest console of the next generation the differences are obviously less impressive... And the Nintendo 64 was the most powerful console of it's time and the Playstation 2 was one of the weakest.

The Jump between the PS1 and PS2 was also big, especially with the PS2's perspective correct texturing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

GhaudePhaede010 said:
mZuzek said:

PS1 to PS2 was a small leap?!

Relative to the generational leap preceding or following it, yes. SNES/Genesis to PS1/N64/Saturn was huge. PS1/N64/Saturn to PS2/Gamecube/XBOX was not nearly as big. It was a leap, but not nearly as big a leap. And then PS2 to PS3/XBOX 360 was gigantic. And in this case, the leap will be smaller than the PS1 to PS2 which is to say, not very big at all.

Nah. Dreamcast from PS/N64 was pretty massive. Shenmue was blowing minds visually. Blew me away and I still have the magazines plural (dozens upon dozens of them from the era) that it blew them away. Shenmue and Sonic Adventure were thought to be pre-rendered. When your console has a better-looking game than PC and arcades the year of launch. You accomplished something huge. Then by the end of that gen Halo 2, RE4, Silent Hill 3 were night and day next to even the best looking PS1/N64 stuff.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

This video is 5 years old at this point, I believe I came to know of this tech back around 2012...I've been waiting for this type of tech to come to fruition for such a long time, and given that next gen consoles will have hardware that can handle massive amount of data (both searching through it and loading it) that this type of tech requires, I hope to see at least few games built around this (or similar) concept.

The graphics better be noticeably higher quality If I'm paying $500+ for a system and maybe more if I have to buy an expensive special hard drive for the ps5 (I just can't see 825GB being enough). Nintendo systems are generally my favorite so graphics obviously aren't everything for me. The games ultimately make the system, and Sony does make some great games. Faster load times are welcome, ray tracing looks nice, and I do forward to seeing what they do with the next psvr.

You might need to get your eyes checked, I was am still am impressed with the graphical upgrades from ps4 to ps4 pro, imagine ps5. To the point I don't buy any games that don't have the Pro patch, they look almost unplayable full of aliasing.

To be honest I think Ill get back to PC in January, console gaming is too expensive.

Leynos said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Nah. Dreamcast from PS/N64 was pretty massive. Shenmue was blowing minds visually. Blew me away and I still have the magazines plural (dozens upon dozens of them from the era) that it blew them away. Shenmue and Sonic Adventure were thought to be pre-rendered. When your console has a better-looking game than PC and arcades the year of launch. You accomplished something huge. Then by the end of that gen Halo 2, RE4, Silent Hill 3 were night and day next to even the best looking PS1/N64 stuff.

I cannot respond to all of you but please read what I actually wrote.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Its nice, but its not on the top of my list for what Im looking for in a console.