Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your favorite console per generation?

Gen 1 = N/A - Never played any of them
Gen 2 = Atari 2600
Gen 3 = Master System
Gen 4 = Megadrive/SNES (tough one to call for me)
Gen 5 = N64
Gen 6 = Gamecube
Gen 7 = Nothing - Mostly played PC this gen.
Gen 8 = Switch

Around the Network

Gen 1: RCA Studio II
Gen 2: Colecovision
Gen 3: NES
Gen 4: SNES
Gen 5: N64
Gen 6: Gamecube
Gen 7: Same as the dude above, I played mostly PC at the time. 2609
Gen 8: Switch
Gen 9: Switch

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube (PS2 was close)
PS3
PS4 but might end up being Switch by the end of its life, and if it counts in gen 8.

The C64 was released before the ColecoVision. I had them both. Got the ColecoVision first, then the C64. I love me so ColecoVision, but the C64 just blew it out of the water.

Are we counting it as gen 3 based on tech? Anyhoo, counting just the listed systems, and going by how the C64 is grouped here:

Gen 1 - Coleco Telstar

Gen 2 - ColecoVision

First two picks are from the Connecticut Leather Company. Strange days.

Gen 3 - Tie Nes and C64. I got a LOT more time out of the C64, but NES was better for the shorter time I did use it as my main.

Gen 4 - SNES

Gen 5 - Tie PS1 and N64

Gen 6 - Xbox

Gen 7 - PS3

Gen 8 - PS4

And yeah, I played all that old stuff, and more that wasn't listed here. Owned most every major system and handheld in every gen up until Gen 8 which was just PS4 and Vita.

Notable exceptions are Master System, Game Boy, Saturn, Wii, PSP, Wii-U, XBO, and Switch.

Chinese food for breakfast

COKTOE said:

The C64 was released before the ColecoVision. I had them both. Got the ColecoVision first, then the C64. I love me so ColecoVision, but the C64 just blew it out of the water.

Are we counting it as gen 3 based on tech? Anyhoo, counting just the listed systems, and going by how the C64 is grouped here:

Gen 1 - Coleco Telstar

Gen 2 - ColecoVision

Gen 3 - Tie Nes and C64. I got a LOT more time out of the C64, but NES was better for the shorter time I did use it as my main.

Gen 4 - SNES

Gen 5 - Tie PS1 and N64

Gen 6 - Xbox

Gen 7 - PS3

Gen 8 - PS4

And yeah, I played all that old stuff, and more that wasn't listed here. Owned most every major system and handheld in every gen up until Gen 8 which was just PS4 and Vita.

Notable exceptions are Master System, Game Boy, Saturn, Wii, PSP, Wii-U, XBO, and Switch.

I used Wikipedia to figure out what consoles were in the first three generations. My parents had an Atari 2600, but my first generation was really gen 4 with the Genesis. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
COKTOE said:

Gen 1 - Coleco Telstar

Gen 2 - ColecoVision

Gen 4 - SNES

Gen 5 - Tie PS1 and N64

Gen 6 - Xbox

Gen 7 - PS3

Gen 8 - PS4

I used Wikipedia to figure out what consoles were in the first three generations. My parents had an Atari 2600, but my first generation was really gen 4 with the Genesis. 

Roger roger. I would count it as gen 2, even if I'm wrong. :)

But really, it's most prominent days as a gaming machine probably were in the Gen 3 time-frame, so it makes sense.

Chinese food for breakfast

1st gen: Pong
2nd gen: Atari 5200
3rd gen: NES
4th gen: SNES
5th gen: PS1
6th gen: Tie between PS2 and Gamecube. PS2 had more games, GC had the best games.
7th gen: PS3
8th gen: Switch

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 05 May 2020

3. NES
4. SNES
5. PS1
6. Gamecube
7. Wii
8. Switch

So basicly Nintendo across the board except gen 5.
OoT and MM were fantastic, but I'm not a huge fan of anything else on the N64, where as the PS1 had FF7, FF9, MGS, SotN and more.

I played Atari 2600 but wasn't really a fan of it, so I'll pass on anything 2600 or prior.

NES
SNES
Playstation and N64 tie
GameCube
DS and XBox 360 tie I guess
Switch

Generation 1: Magnavox Odyssey. - Ping pong.
Generation 2: Atari 2600. - Space Invaders.
Generation 3: Nintendo Entertainment System. - Mario Bros.
Generation 4: Super Nintendo Entertainment System. - Donkey Kong Country.
Generation 5: Nintendo 64. - Perfect Dark.
Generation 6: Xbox. - Halo 2.
Generation 7: Xbox 360. - Halo 3.
Generation 8: Nintendo Switch. - Zelda: Links Awakening.
Generation 9: ?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--