By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best remake of 2020 so far...

Best remake of 2020 so far...

Trials of Mana 10 20.00%

Final Fantasy VII 27 54.00%

Resident Evil 3 9 18.00%

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 4 8.00%

Total:50
Shiken said:
Hynad said:

You speak of ignorance yet don’t know what was done with many of VIII’s assets. Inform yourself before spouting your usual shit.

https://youtu.be/Ch_xNzDk6aY

In the case of Xenoblade, the amount of assets that got tweaked and improved is larger. The layer of new paint they applied to the base code is thicker, but it still remains a remaster. An enhanced port. This is made clear by every scenes playing the exact same way with the exact same animations. A thick coat of paint was put over them, and this is obviously clouding your vision.

The video is literally just spelling out what I have been saying about FFVIII.  Check your compression before assuming that just because someone does not agree with you, they are spouting shit.  FFVIII is using the same assets with a smoothing filter and reworked character models.

As for Xenoblade, as I said earlier you can believe what you want.  I have niether the time nor the energy to waste on this tired debate (which is why I made this poll now, and not a month from now).  Any misconceptions you have does not change the fact that the game is being remade with new assets.  No matter how you try to dance around it, it is doing far more than what a remaster or enhanced port does.

Are you for real? You brought up that Xenoblade isn’t a remaster because they redid assets. I counter that with another game in which they redid assets, but called it a remaster, and you say that supports your crap?

LMAO!!!

Your misguided double standards are showing. Which is what I called out at the very beginning.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Shiken said:

The video is literally just spelling out what I have been saying about FFVIII.  Check your compression before assuming that just because someone does not agree with you, they are spouting shit.  FFVIII is using the same assets with a smoothing filter and reworked character models.

As for Xenoblade, as I said earlier you can believe what you want.  I have niether the time nor the energy to waste on this tired debate (which is why I made this poll now, and not a month from now).  Any misconceptions you have does not change the fact that the game is being remade with new assets.  No matter how you try to dance around it, it is doing far more than what a remaster or enhanced port does.

Are you for real? You brought up that Xenoblade isn’t a remaster because they redid assets. I counter that with another game in which they redid assets, but called it a remaster, and you say that supports your crap?

LMAO!!!

Your misguided double standards are showing. Which is what I called out at the very beginning.

Reading compression dude.  FFVIII did not rework their assets.  Everything outside of touched up character models are the exact same assets with a filter over them, which is why they are so jarring.  It is stated as such in the very video you posted.

Xenoblade is using new assets in all areas, where FFVIII was 90% old assets.  Everything from character models, environment, architecture, and special effects is REMADE with all new assets.  Your only argument is that animations in cutscenes line up with the original.  That alone does not change the fact that the game is being remade entirely with new assets, something that FFVIII came no where close to doing.

There is no double standard here.  Just you popping in to fight this imaginary "Nintendo defense force" that you claim needs to be in check everytime a Nintendo IP is brought up.  Your own double standard is causing you to talk in circles, mis quote, and mis comprehend information.

I am done talking about this, because it is going no where.  This all started when you came in here because someone mentioned Xenoblade in a remake thread, and that somehow bothered you enough to stir the pot.  I said what I needed to say and called you out on it.  No need to discuss this any further because it is clear that you will drive this convo in a bad direction fast (it is already starting).  Have a nice night, and happy gaming.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Trials of Mana. FF7R is not a remake anyway. Despite the marketing term, it's a reboot.

However Xenoblade Remake comes out this month and Xenoblade is one of the best RPGs ever made so unless they really screw it up,it looks like it will end up the best remake this year,at the very least in RPGs.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Shiken said:
Hynad said:

LMAO!!!

Reading compression dude.  FFVIII did not rework their assets.  Everything outside of touched up character models are the exact same assets with a filter over them, which is why they are so jarring.  It is stated as such in the very video you posted.

Xenoblade is using new assets in all areas, where FFVIII was 90% old assets.  Everything from character models, environment, architecture, and special effects is REMADE with all new assets.  Your only argument is that animations in cutscenes line up with the original.  That alone does not change the fact that the game is being remade entirely with new assets, something that FFVIII came no where close to doing.

There is no double standard here.  Just you popping in to fight this imaginary "Nintendo defense force" that you claim needs to be in check everytime a Nintendo IP is brought up.  Your own double standard is causing you to talk in circles, mis quote, and mis comprehend information.

I am done talking about this, because it is going no where.  This all started when you came in here because someone mentioned Xenoblade in a remake thread, and that somehow bothered you enough to stir the pot.  I said what I needed to say and called you out on it.  No need to discuss this any further because it is clear that you will drive this convo in a bad direction fast (it is already starting).  Have a nice night, and happy gaming.

They reworked the character models... But they didn't rework their assets... You sure you understand what you're talking about? A character model = an asset. It was at first brought up to illustrate how your definition of a remake is wrong. But now, to be a remake, it has to have A LOT of assets reworked, instead of only a few. Which is why I brought up your double standard. In both cases, the assets are swapped for better ones over the SAME underlying game code.

Everything outside of the paint is the same. They're working over the same code, not remaking it from scratch. Which makes it a remaster, the same way TLOU was a remaster on PS4 despite being more than an up-res. There are many other remasters like that, but maybe the percentage of assets swapped isn't high enough for you to deem them worthy of the "remake" moniker?

And you helped drive this conversation in a bad direction when you mentioned "ignorance" and "nonsense". Pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by Hynad - on 03 May 2020

I've only played Resident Evil 3 out of the 4 listed, so that's what I'm going with. :)

Around the Network
Shiken said:
KLXVER said:
Well Capcom made RE3 playable, so that.

What was unplayable about the original?  Just did not like tank controls?

Yeah, was never a fan of those controls. Also the original RE3 is by far the worst mainline RE game imo.

Tank Controls are awesome! Seriously. They add to the horror aspect. You feel more helpless and trying to get away is more challenging adding to the tension. The horror. I feel they are misunderstood.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Xenoblade remake is missing.

And I voted FF7 cause it's the first FF game I tried and now I'm playing the original on the Switch and loving it

SKMBlake said:
Xenoblade remake is missing.

And I voted FF7 cause it's the first FF game I tried and now I'm playing the original on the Switch and loving it

No it isn't, because it is not out yet.  Can't vote for a game that has yet to be released in a poll about the best remake so far.

As I said earlier however, I feel confident it will be the best remake of the year overall.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

its ok to stone me to death for saying persona 5 royal was better than these. ff7 remake left a bad taste in my mouth after they took any punch there used to be out of sector 7 getting crushed. also fuck biggs and fuck wedge