By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best remake of 2020 so far...

Best remake of 2020 so far...

Trials of Mana 10 20.00%

Final Fantasy VII 27 54.00%

Resident Evil 3 9 18.00%

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 4 8.00%

Total:50
Leynos said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
People does not know What a remake, people does not know What a reboot is, people does not know What a port / remaster is.

If you're going to do this. Then the correct way to say it is do not.

please don't

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

From that list, I've only played the original RE3 and the original FF7.

Haven't played more than a couple hours of FF7 (run of bad luck kept me from my man cave) but I've finished RE3 maybe 4-5 times and I loved it every time. There may be better remakes but I've only given one adequate time and that's the one I have to vote for. Sorry.

kirby007 said:
Leynos said:

If you're going to do this. Then the correct way to say it is do not.

please don't

Ok

Last edited by Leynos - on 06 May 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
kirby007 said:

doesn't matter its all shit

Opinions, i AM playing ff9" remake" 🤡 on my PS4 and its amazing 

It is certainly a better "remake" than FFVIIR was, thats for sure!  😉

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Words mean whatever people agree that they mean in the given context. So long as the parties in a conversation agree on terminology, that's usually all that matters.  Seems that pretty much everyone agrees that the term remake encompasses Xenoblade Definitive Edition, so for our purposes at least, it's a remake.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
JWeinCom said:

Words mean whatever people agree that they mean in the given context. So long as the parties in a conversation agree on terminology, that's usually all that matters.  Seems that pretty much everyone agrees that the term remake encompasses Xenoblade Definitive Edition, so for our purposes at least, it's a remake.

Like ff9 switch version

2/10 attempt

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
JWeinCom said:

Like ff9 switch version

Not really, because nobody seems to agree that it is.

The important thing 99% of the time is that people agree on the term.  If everyone else is in a conversation is using the term in a particular way and you want to be part of the conversation, then your options are either to argue with them that your definition is better and get them to agree, or accept their definition.  

I'd say the latter option is better, but if it's that important of an issue to you, then argue the point I guess.

Edit:  Oh, I don't think I was supposed to respond to that seriously.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Shiken said:

It is certainly a better "remake" than FFVIIR was, thats for sure!  😉

But ff7 remake is not a" remake" , its a remaster, "remakes" are things like ff7 switch version and games where they put definitive edition in the box

Fk it, I'll bite.

A remake is a game that is remade mostly/entirely with new assets.  It is a very broad term, and can be achieved in several ways.  The thing to keep in mind however, is that it is the same game at its core, despite being mostly remade rather than being a direct port with a few tweeks.  Examples of this would be Trials of Mana, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Medievil, Link's Awakening, and yes...Xenoblade Definitive Edition as it uses mostly new assets and reworks the visuals entirely.

A remaster is a nearly direct port of an existing game with a few improvements such as HD textures and quality of life improvements.  Where most of the used assets are existing from the original game, it is a remaster of those same assets and therefore the game itself is a remaster.  Games that fall into this category are FF9, God of War 3 (PS4), Okami HD, and FF8 as most of the game is the exact same assets with a smoothing filter put over it.

A reimagined game or reboot is a retelling of an old game, but changed up entirely in terms of gameplay and plot.  They often take things in an entirely new direction, and can often be looked at as new games.  This includes REmake 3, REmake 2, Ratchet and Clank, and yes...FFVIIR despite being mislabled.

However for the purposes of this thread, due to the reasons JWeinCom mentioned and the fact that true remakes and reimaginings are basically cousins, they are both included in the poll.  Plus it can be argued that all reimaginings are remakes, but not all remakes are reimaginings.

Last edited by Shiken - on 06 May 2020

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Shiken said:

Fk it, I'll bite.

A remake is a game that is remade mostly/entirely with new assets.  It is a very broad term, and can be achieved in several ways.  The thing to keep in mind however, is that it is the same game at its core, despite being mostly remade rather than being a direct port with a few tweeks.  Examples of this would be Trials of Mana, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Medievil, Link's Awakening, and yes...Xenoblade Definitive Edition as it uses mostly new assets and reworks the visuals entirely.

A remaster is a nearly direct port of an existing game with a few improvements such as HD textures and quality of life improvements.  Where most of the used assets are existing from the original game, it is a remaster of those same assets and therefore the game itself is a remaster.  Games that fall into this category are FF9, God of War 3 (PS4), Okami HD, and FF8 as most of the game is the exact same assets with a smoothing filter put over it.

A reimagined game or reboot is a retelling of an old game, but changed up entirely in terms of gameplay and plot.  They often take things in an entirely new direction, and can often be looked at as new games.  This includes REmake 3, REmake 2, Ratchet and Clank, and yes...FFVIIR despite being mislabled.

However for the purposes of this thread, due to the reasons JWeinCom mentioned and the fact that true remakes and reimaginings are basically cousins, they are both included in the poll.  Plus it can be argued that all reimaginings are remakes, but not all remakes are reimaginings.

You spined this so hard that you traveled around the moon two Times and come back to earth.

So when someone breaks things down for you with facts, you just call it a spin?

Kind of a boring way of admitting defeat.

Shiken said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

You spined this so hard that you traveled around the moon two Times and come back to earth.

So when someone breaks things down for you with facts, you just call it a spin?

Kind of a boring way of admitting defeat.

Your definition of facts is bogus at best. The majority of outlets out there call Xenoblade Chronicles DE a remaster. Not a remake.

It's a remaster. And your definitions of remake and remaster are shite.