By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best remake of 2020 so far...

Best remake of 2020 so far...

Trials of Mana 10 20.00%

Final Fantasy VII 27 54.00%

Resident Evil 3 9 18.00%

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 4 8.00%

Total:50
KLXVER said:
Well Capcom made RE3 playable, so that.

What was unplayable about the original?  Just did not like tank controls?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Finished the extra chapter of Trials of Mana on my first playthrough and yeah, it is definitely the most complete experience of all 3 but most certainly the most consistent and in tune remake of all 3.

Though, I "respect" the choice of the other 2 remakes to make significant change even if majorly downgrades certain aspects of the original or just doesn't feel complete as it should.

Hey, I mean Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is coming in a month so the debate we'll be settled by then 😋

No. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is a remaster, an enhanced port. Not a remake by any stretch of the definition.

And you know that already.

Hynad said:
Mar1217 said:
Finished the extra chapter of Trials of Mana on my first playthrough and yeah, it is definitely the most complete experience of all 3 but most certainly the most consistent and in tune remake of all 3.

Though, I "respect" the choice of the other 2 remakes to make significant change even if majorly downgrades certain aspects of the original or just doesn't feel complete as it should.

Hey, I mean Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is coming in a month so the debate we'll be settled by then 😋

No. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is a remaster, an enhanced port. Not a remake by any stretch of the definition.

Incorrect, but your misconception does not change what it is (a remake) so you are free to believe what you want.  No skin off my nose if you want to pretend using new assets to remake the game entirely is the same thing as just simply adding a few HD textures to what is already there to clean up the image and increasing the resolution.

Last edited by Shiken - on 03 May 2020

Shiken said:
Hynad said:

Incorrect, but your misconception does not change what it is (a remake) so you are free to believe what you want.  No skin off my nose if you want to pretend using new assets and remaking the game with said assets is the same thing as just simply adding a few HD textures to existing assets and increasing the resolution.

For fuck’s sake, believe whatever the heck you want. There is no point in trying to argue sense or reason into your lot.

Hynad said:
Shiken said:

Incorrect, but your misconception does not change what it is (a remake) so you are free to believe what you want.  No skin off my nose if you want to pretend using new assets and remaking the game with said assets is the same thing as just simply adding a few HD textures to existing assets and increasing the resolution.

For fucks sake you believe what you will. There is no point in trying to argue sense or reason into your lot.

There is no reason to argue against facts.  It is not hard to understand the difference between rebuilding a game and simply porting over an existing game with HD textures to what is already there.  Not every remake has to stray from the source material and change up the gameplay to be considered what it is...a remake.

And what lot are you trying to associate me with?  I am just a gamer who owns and actively plays on every platform.  So please, spell it out for me.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Hynad said:

For fucks sake you believe what you will. There is no point in trying to argue sense or reason into your lot.

There is no reason to argue against facts.  It is not hard to understand the difference between rebuilding a game and simply porting over an existing game with HD textures to what is already there.  Not every remake has to stray from the source material and change up the gameplay to be considered what it is...a remake.

And what lot are you trying to associate me with?  I am just a gamer who owns and actively plays on every platform.  So please, spell it out for me.

So Final Fantasy VIII Remastered is in fact a remake, because they improved assets and added polygons here and there.

I see.

Hynad said:
Shiken said:

So Final Fantasy VIII Remastered is in fact a remake, because they improved assets and added polygons here and there.

I see.

Not sure if willful ignorance or just spouting out nonsense here.

FFVIII remastered still uses the same assets.  They cleaned them up sure, but it was the same assets used throughout.  You can easily tell this by how they reused the same 2D backgrounds from the original.

Xenoblade Remake uses NEW assets throughout the game.  Rebuilt environments and buildings which makes it look completely different from the original in terms of quality.  New animations and special effects to go with new character models built from the ground up.  The game, unlike FFVIII Remastered, is a remake of the original.

Your own example only proves to strengthen my point.  Thank you for that.

Shiken said:
Hynad said:

I see.

FFVIII remastered still uses the same assets.  They cleaned them up sure, but it was the same assets used throughout.  You can easily tell this by how they reused the same 2D backgrounds from the original.

Xenoblade Remake uses NEW assets throughout the game.  Rebuilt environments and buildings which makes it look completely different from the original.  New animations and special effects to go with new character models built from the ground up.  The game, unlike FFVIII Remastered, is a remake of the original.

You speak of ignorance yet don’t know what was done with many of VIII’s assets. Inform yourself before spouting your usual shit.

https://youtu.be/Ch_xNzDk6aY

In the case of Xenoblade, the amount of assets that got tweaked and improved is larger. The layer of new paint they applied to the base code is thicker, but it still remains a remaster. An enhanced port. This is made clear by every scenes playing the exact same way with the exact same animations. A thick coat of paint was put over them, and this is obviously clouding your vision.

Last edited by Hynad - on 03 May 2020

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is the best remake so far in 2020 will probably remain that way for me for the rest of the year.

Hynad said:
Shiken said:

Xenoblade Remake uses NEW assets throughout the game.  Rebuilt environments and buildings which makes it look completely different from the original.  New animations and special effects to go with new character models built from the ground up.  The game, unlike FFVIII Remastered, is a remake of the original.

You speak of ignorance yet don’t know what was done with many of VIII’s assets. Inform yourself before spouting your usual shit.

https://youtu.be/Ch_xNzDk6aY

In the case of Xenoblade, the amount of assets that got tweaked and improved is larger. The layer of new paint they applied to the base code is thicker, but it still remains a remaster. An enhanced port. This is made clear by every scenes playing the exact same way with the exact same animations. A thick coat of paint was put over them, and this is obviously clouding your vision.

The video is literally just spelling out what I have been saying about FFVIII.  Check your compression before assuming that just because someone does not agree with you, they are spouting shit.  FFVIII is using the same assets with a smoothing filter and reworked character models.

As for Xenoblade, as I said earlier you can believe what you want.  I have niether the time nor the energy to waste on this tired debate (which is why I made this poll now, and not a month from now).  Any misconceptions you have does not change the fact that the game is being remade with new assets.  No matter how you try to dance around it, it is doing far more than what a remaster or enhanced port does.