By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Game Showcase May 7 at 8 AM PT

derpysquirtle64 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I am usually entertained by Microsoft events like this, but it is only because my BS meter is fully turned on.  How many of these games will also come to XB1?  Will they overhype something no one cares about like "Minecraft in 4k"?  Will it have some gimmick like watching TV with a Kinect?  Will they invite cirque du soleil again and turn their show into a literal circus?

Basically, once you subtract off all of the BS, then how much actual content will they have?  I'm even going to be super generous to them this time.  They get half credit for any game that also comes to PS5 just as long as it doesn't come to a gen 8 system.  I'll even give them full credit for a Series X exclusive even if the game also comes to PC.  Games must also give a release date of 2021 or sooner to get any credit.  Again, I'm setting the bar really low this time, but usually Microsoft finds a way to limbo under my expectations.

If you think that majority of games announced at PS5 event won't also have PS4 version, you are gonna get disappointed. Devs are not stupid to leave 100m+ userbase behind, so PS4 will be supported for a really long time. Way longer than XB1 will.

Sony has confirmed PS5 exclusives. 

In terms of cross generation titles for the PS5, I expect the majority of them will be third party.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I am usually entertained by Microsoft events like this, but it is only because my BS meter is fully turned on.  How many of these games will also come to XB1?  Will they overhype something no one cares about like "Minecraft in 4k"?  Will it have some gimmick like watching TV with a Kinect?  Will they invite cirque du soleil again and turn their show into a literal circus?

Basically, once you subtract off all of the BS, then how much actual content will they have?  I'm even going to be super generous to them this time.  They get half credit for any game that also comes to PS5 just as long as it doesn't come to a gen 8 system.  I'll even give them full credit for a Series X exclusive even if the game also comes to PC.  Games must also give a release date of 2021 or sooner to get any credit.  Again, I'm setting the bar really low this time, but usually Microsoft finds a way to limbo under my expectations.

This event is only focused on 3rd party games, so expect almost all of them to come to current gen as well. Their next event will focus on 1st party games. I feel like MS has been lazer focused on games the last couple of E3's. 

Chris Hu said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

If you think that majority of games announced at PS5 event won't also have PS4 version, you are gonna get disappointed. Devs are not stupid to leave 100m+ userbase behind, so PS4 will be supported for a really long time. Way longer than XB1 will.

X1 will be supported for a long time to come also because of backwards compatibility and Game Pass.

B/C doesn't work both ways so it doesn't guarantee XB1 support in any way. GamePass doesn't matter for lots of third party games, so it doesn't impact their decision on XB1 support as well.

PotentHerbs said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Sony has confirmed PS5 exclusives. 

In terms of cross generation titles for the PS5, I expect the majority of them will be third party.

This event is about third parties it seems, so I was talking specifically about third-parties. I guess that every third party game without PS marketing will also be on PS4. On the other hand, Sony might not be showing such games at their event.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Sony is welcome to suck just as much as Microsoft does.  It's up to each company to decide if they want to give us a reason to buy their system or not.  "Here are a bunch of games also available on current systems."  That doesn't really make me want to buy a new one.  Games that are only available on a next gen system are what make people want to buy a next gen system.

You under estimate humans not wanting to settle at their hobbies. Why get the last gen version when there’s a shiny upgraded version available? Same reason why people buy cosmetics in games like fortnight. Why play the exact same game for the same fun as everyone else when you can look accomplished and not-poor with $20 worth of cosmetics?

If people have the means and care about their experience being optimal, they will upgrade. And if they don’t care, that’s what the current gen version is for.

Sounds like your position is one of idealism and not realism. You could have games like Killzone Shadowfall or Forza 5...next gen launch xclusives that are also the worst reviewed in the series. Also Ryse and Knack, their metacritic speaks for itself. Or you can go for critical success with high quality cross gen. It’s only the launch, plenty of years ahead for pushing potential. I see the positives :)

Last edited by sales2099 - on 01 May 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Chris Hu said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

X1 will be supported for a long time to come also because of backwards compatibility and Game Pass.

It will be supported by players for a long time and will only be supported by MS for 1-2 more years. Just like I occasionally play a 360 game from my back catalog. Doesn’t mean MS is supporting Xbox 360 in 2020, their games are just available to me. Big difference. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sony is welcome to suck just as much as Microsoft does.  It's up to each company to decide if they want to give us a reason to buy their system or not.  "Here are a bunch of games also available on current systems."  That doesn't really make me want to buy a new one.  Games that are only available on a next gen system are what make people want to buy a next gen system.

You under estimate humans not wanting to settle at their hobbies. Why get the last gen version when there’s a shiny upgraded version available? Same reason why people buy cosmetics in games like fortnight. Why play the exact same game for the same fun as everyone else when you can look accomplished and not-poor with $20 worth of cosmetics?

If people have the means and care about their experience being optimal, they will upgrade. And if they don’t care, that’s what the current gen version is for.

Sounds like your position is one of idealism and not realism. You could have games like Killzone Shadowfall or Forza 5...next gen launch xclusives that are also the worst reviewed in the series. Also Ryse and Knack, their metacritic speaks for itself. Or you can go for critical success with high quality cross gen. It’s only the launch, plenty of years ahead for pushing potential. I see the positives :)

Microsoft screwed up their launch with the XB1 and it cost them for the whole generation.  In contrast, with the XBox360 they launched earlier and at a lower price than the PS3.  Their stronger launch helped them a lot during Generation 7.  The launch is extremely important.

Also, gaming is not about buying hardware upgrades.  Gaming is about games.  Most people buy a new console to play new games.  One might think that at a presentation for a new console, they would actually show off some games that can only be played on a next gen system.  I mean people can praise them for how great their presentation is, and then none of those people actually buy a Series X.  They just get excited for the games and buy them on PS4 or XB1.

If they are going to have a presentation about their new system, then they might actually want to give people a good reason to actually buy the new system.  Hardware upgrade is not a good enough reason.  The minority of people who want an expensive hardware upgrade are mostly PC gamers anyway.  Microsoft needs to show off games that can only be played on its new system.

So... 8am for Cali... Which would mean 5am for the East Coast... which I believe would be midnight in the UK? What market is this time convenient for? Are they just going all in for Eastern Europe this gen?

shikamaru317 said:
JWeinCom said:
So... 8am for Cali... Which would mean 5am for the East Coast... which I believe would be midnight in the UK? What market is this time convenient for? Are they just going all in for Eastern Europe this gen?

You have it mixed up. Eastern time is 3 hours ahead of pacific, not 3 hours behind. 8am pacific is 11am eastern. 11am eastern is the same time they have held their E3 conference at the last several years. UK wise it’s 4pm I think.

Well that was an awfully stupid mistake.  I swear, I usually know that... 

In my defense though, I posted that very late.  2:48 ET.  Which means it was 5:48 PT.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 02 May 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:
sales2099 said:

Microsoft screwed up their launch with the XB1 and it cost them for the whole generation.  In contrast, with the XBox360 they launched earlier and at a lower price than the PS3.  Their stronger launch helped them a lot during Generation 7.  The launch is extremely important.

Also, gaming is not about buying hardware upgrades.  Gaming is about games.  Most people buy a new console to play new games.  One might think that at a presentation for a new console, they would actually show off some games that can only be played on a next gen system.  I mean people can praise them for how great their presentation is, and then none of those people actually buy a Series X.  They just get excited for the games and buy them on PS4 or XB1.

If they are going to have a presentation about their new system, then they might actually want to give people a good reason to actually buy the new system.  Hardware upgrade is not a good enough reason.  The minority of people who want an expensive hardware upgrade are mostly PC gamers anyway.  Microsoft needs to show off games that can only be played on its new system.

Gen 7 had a lot of factors. The early start in itself was a genius move. Ps3s launch price and slow start. RROD slowed the momentum. But I agree, the launch is extremely important. So long as you coordinate a global launch close together, have no hardware problems and have critically acclaimed games on the platform that isn’t on the competition, that’s a great launch. Series X can do that. 

Because while I agree that next gen exclusives are ideal, historically their metas are lower (see previous examples). I’d argue cross gen games still can be system sellers for a simple fact they won’t be on PS5. Brand to brand of one console has a amazing game not on its primary competitor, the last gen version existing is beside the point. 

I don’t know where you been the last few years, but gaming is also about hardware upgrades now. PS4 Pro, Xbox X, Xbox S. “People buy a console to play new games” at launch they are new games. That’s where my point comes in: so you play the new game on last gen tech or new gen tech? If gamers have the means they don’t want to have a less then ideal experience if they can help it. 

Guess this is a culture difference between Ps and Xbox. I’d say Halo Infinite or Forza 8 is a system seller in itself. If people don’t want to get the best console for it MS makes money off the current gen. If those gamers have a PC and play it there...MS gets money from that too. Console gamers that want the best console experience get Series X. You know what they all have in common? None are on PS5. That matters the most end of day. 

If history repeats itself, the metacritic scores will prove my point. You can brag about next gen exclusives all you want but if they have a low 70s metacritic score it will fall on deaf ears. It’s just the launch, no biggie. Nobody mentions Killzone Shadowfall in the same sentence as God of War. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 02 May 2020

🎙 Mic check, 🎙 mic check