By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis Remastered announced for Switch, PC, PS4 and Xbox One EDIT: It will be using new updated engine [UPDATE] Add Digital Foundry Video Analysis

Tagged games:

I'm holding out for Crysis 2 on Wii U

Around the Network

Meh, played on 360. It’s a average FPS, I see little need to revisit.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

That's pretty cool that it's on Switch. Always wanted to get this game and Warhead on PC since I finished both 2 and 3 (which I liked, but fans seem to prefer the first two quite a bit). Though, almost unsure of what the point of a remaster on PC would be, that's definitely where i'd be getting this. Maybe just provide more options, clean up some code?

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 16 April 2020

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
Meh, played on 360. It’s a average FPS, I see little need to revisit.

That's why. It was a watered down port. A shadow of the what the game actually is. You console guys should finally get a taste of what the real Crysis is with this remaster.

Lol well if that’s the case this should be on PS5 and Series X. Maybe then I can finally experience this game like in a 2007 PC ;)

Pretty sure the gameplay is the same (that I know of). And in that regard with FPS gameplay I’ve simply played better. For open world FPS I had a better time with Far Cry 3 but still an enjoyable game while it lasted. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Crysis still gives hardware today a significant amount of work to run but that may be due to optimization some of the team went on to join ID Software afterward, Crysis even today is still unique as a FPS due to its employment of sandbox elements.

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
Spindel said:

Isn't the game so poorly optimized so even modern systems have problems running it at max?

It isn't an optimization thing as much as it was an engine architecture thing. Although the game does use multiple threads, the way it spreads the workload between threads and cores was based on an assumption that CPUs would continue to increase in their single core performance at a steady rate when the game was being developed. There were projections of 5+ GHz CPUs that would continue to climb to 6, 7, etc. For that reason the engine was designed to put most of the workload on one core. This re-release is an opportunity to use a later version of the engine that conforms better to the actual CPU architecture advancements that happened. 

DonFerrari said:
So can the PCs of today run the original Crysis on the max options already? Because from what I hear this game doesn't need a remaster.

Depends on how you define "run". Can it do a locked 60 fps? Most hardware likely can't as a result of the engine bottleneck-ing its own performance stability. But can you do a locked 30 fps at max settings? Yup. All while you see the hardware vastly not used.

EDIT: 5000th post!

Fair.

But wasn’t in discussion even back then (2006, 2007?) that feasable frequensies wouldn’t increase that much but multiple cores and ipc’s where the thing of future cpus?

Odd choice. Given the upcoming systems aren't far away, you think they would remaster it for them to show off what they're capable of.

thismeintiel said:
Odd choice. Given the upcoming systems aren't far away, you think they would remaster it for them to show off what they're capable of.

Please tell me that Barret image is not an actual spoiler for VIIR. Please say sike. 

thismeintiel said:

PS5 and XSX are BC so the game will run there and probably with patch to show even more eye candy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

"but can it run crysis!?" yes yes it can.