By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - [Soft-locked DO NOT POST] Is MS focusing too much on quantity over quality with their 1st party games?

sales2099 said:
BillyBong said:

If there's anything worth getting on Xbox, at least I'll be able to play it on my PC. Nothing announced yet screams "must buy an Xbox"..
Especially next gen, personally, between my PC and possible PS5 purchase, there's really no reason to move over, regardless of quality.

You sound like someone who isn’t in the market anyway for a Xbox console. But instead of “must buy Xbox” its “must play Xbox” which technically could mean buying Steam versions or PC Game Pass.
Its people like yourself that make it clear why MS is doing what they are doing. You have a PC and have a preference for Sony...yet MS found a way to get to you (if the games are worth it). 

Fair enough.  It's not that I'm not in the market, it's since this gen and looks like next gen also, there's nothing there that compels me to buy an Xbox console for my Xbox fix, especially if I can get my xbox fix through PC.  Now if Sony begins to release more of their exclusives to PC I'd be saying the same thing..

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Think of it like fifa or madden or 2k or racism Sims or what ever else. Theese games dont entice gamers who are nit interested in thouse types of games. The same players will buy it year after year but it's gona be near impossible for them to convice someone who is not into thouse types of games to buy into them no matter the improbements, innovation or what ever. Halo which is a long standing franchise fits into that category. They can get better and fans will love it but thouse who are not fans will keep ignoring it. Its not just MS just in case, applys to zelda, mario, uncharted, civilization, assasins creed and what ever game is just a iteration of the last. Games could be like god of war that that broke its own mold but that's rare and I don't think MS will go that way as they have very few big name ip's and they wont risk loosing the fans.

Think you missing the point. MS seeking out fresh gamers. And with their superior genre diversity, charming titles like Ori for example, which would traditionally belong on something like Switch.

Plus, a low barrier to entry, they will do just that. The madden and FIFA Xbox fans like myself will still get their fix. 

I think you are quoting the wrong post here. I made no refrence to thouse games, just the big one that MS and other big publishers rely on so they don't change much or at all.

And I do agree with you that they are expanding with those little games. Its much easier and less risky to go wild with small budget games. The only thing is that if one of those little games like ori gets good reception and its highly recomendable the game dosent sell much or even garners that much attention cuz while amazing for what it is the majority of gamers puts them against biger titles like COD or whatever else that steals most of the attention. So it makes waves for very little time unroll something big splashes and even if its mediocre it still outshines ori like resident evil 3 is doing. Its not the greatest game to some but it still sucking all the attention while ori got all that praise. 

And again I don't think MS is making a mistake here. Just saying that don't expect the 3-4 AAA games a year Phil was promising. Just dosent make sense as long as gamepass is a thing. Just one big game and a bunch of little ones that will be forgotten as soon as something big comes along if they are good. Most will go unnoticed by gamers.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

One big game a year and a few small ones is not enough to entice people to sub lol. People always want to claim MS is going to poop out GamePass filler and limit big games on it but they never say how those strategies are supposed to actually help them push subs.

Netflix doesn’t release one big series and then stop for the year.

That list of exclusives looks so bad.

People for decades: Not enough 1st party exclusives!

Microsoft now: Have all the 1st party exclusives!

People: To many exclusives!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
goopy20 said:

I totally get MS's reasoning behind GP, at least from a business sense, but do you guys think MS studios should all be doing multiple smaller projects to keep GP content fresh, or would you like to see them focus more on larger scale AAA titles?

Obviously we don't know exactly what they're all working on but take Ninja Theory for example. They're making Hellblade 2 but they also just released Bleeding Edge and are doing Project Mara as well. Obsidian's new game Grounded also looks like a small scale project and the Initiative apparently also has multiple "small" projects they're working on. It just feels like there's a very strong indie vibe to all the games we're seeing from MS's 1st party studios, even though I'm sure a lot of them will turn out to be great. Hell, Gears tactics looks more interesting than Gears 4 or 5 and I loved Ori. However, those are not typically the kind of games I would buy a next gen console for.

At best I would expect 2-3 AAA games a year from MS. At par with competitors. I believe there will be better quality control on exclusives now that more studios are working exclusively for MS.

Not every project needs or justifies a AAA budget. Especially games in more simplistic or less popular genres. So the B tier stuff is justified, some feel its among the best.

I think MS is pumping out more content because Xbox, PC and Gamepass combined allows their content to generate more revenue. MS can also do more with more studios, they aren't necessarily being spread thin.

In regard to Ninja Theory, they apparently develop some games with a small teams. So that might explain why they can do numerous projects.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Nogamez said:
That list of exclusives looks so bad.

What makes them look bad? Because they don't cater to your taste? 

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Days Gone was one of the few AAA Sony exclusives that didn't get critical acclaim, but you can't argue the quality of Sony's exclusives this gen. What I'm trying to say is that both companies have roughly the same number of studios but their focus is completely different. Just look at this year. It's basically TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, FF7, Nioh 2, Death Stranding etc. vs a bunch of filler titles for GP and Halo. Some of those AA games will probably turn out great and get good reviews. But how many people, who bought a Xbox to play Halo or Gears, would honestly get super excited and buy a game like Ori? Sure, it's a quality game, but it barely sold 1.5m copies. 

Now, if people can play Ori for free through GP, I'm sure many will give it a go, just like I did. My point, however, is that MS doesn't seem to be focusing on games that core gamers would pay full price for and instead are going for quantity to fill up GP. I mean Gears Tactics looks pretty cool, but would you buy it for full retail price?

And there it is. You remind me of myself 10 years ago except on the other side. Numerous people in this thread pointed out how premature your post is and that Xbox studios has a healthy mix of A-AAA games in development.

“Xbox just has a bunch of filler that aren’t system sellers where as Sony only produces big budget AAA games”.

Bravo, you made a thread to prove Sony still top dog in games. But the way I see it...you made this thread because part of you is threatened MS has their shit together. Having the same studios as Sony is somehow registered as a insult to Sony’s superiority so you have to drive home that Xbox makes “filler” as you said yourself. 

Fact is Xbox is making more games, more genre diversity and is also ramping up AAA production. Xbox wants to move beyond Halo Gears and Forza, get with the times. And you are listing 3rd party games....thought this was a 1st party discussion? Lol subtle. 

And don’t list Dreams when we all know it’s not selling... at all.

I don't think there's anything wrong with MS going for a bit more diversity. And yes, Sony's been doing games like Death Stranding, Dreams too, which obviously don't appeal to everyone and probably won't sell 10m copies. The big difference, however, is that they've always been building new AAA ip's that appeal to the core console gamers, while MS spend too long focusing on just their 3 AAA ip's: Gears, Halo and Forza. As someone already mentioned, the mass appeal and critical acclaim of Gears and Halo isn't what it used to be and imo they need new AAA ip's to keep things interesting. Now MS is making a whole bunch of new ip's, which is great, but tell me honestly: Would you buy games like Wasteland 3, Bleeding edge, Gears Tactics, Ori, Grounded, Everlast, flightsim if they were full retail price? 

Thing is, on one hand I'm pretty excited about Series X when I look at the specs. However, I'm just wondering what games MS can come up with that'll truly showcase what the thing can do. With Sony they're a lot more predictable and we already know there'll be AAA blockbusters like HZD, Spiderman, new ip's from ND/ SM etc. But from what we're seeing from MS, I can't think of any of their studios that'll be able to make their own new AAA blockbuster and isn't a Halo or Gears, especially if they're all doing multiple projects. I mean from what we know there's Hellblade 2 and the rumoured Fable/ Perfect Dark reboots. Most people can't even remember Perfect Dark on the N64 while the 360 version was terrible, so why would anyone get excited about a reboot? The Fable reboot could be good, but people will obviously compare it to the Witcher and I'm not sure that's gonna work out for MS either. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 08 April 2020

Halo and Gears when they launched, helped redefine the genre on consoles. For years now both have been, "yup it's more of what you expect". That's not a bad thing entirely if fans are happy. So then comes well ok if you don't let these series re-invent themselves at least. Then create a new IP that's as compelling as those once were. This is where I believe MS is truly struggling. They may not know-how and just hoping these studio acquisitions solve all. Not sure they will. Time will tell. I want all 3 to do well. Silly to wish any bad. It may be wishful thinking for me to hope for a console from MS to feel as special as Xbox and Xbox 360. Dunno yet.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

And there it is. You remind me of myself 10 years ago except on the other side. Numerous people in this thread pointed out how premature your post is and that Xbox studios has a healthy mix of A-AAA games in development.

“Xbox just has a bunch of filler that aren’t system sellers where as Sony only produces big budget AAA games”.

Bravo, you made a thread to prove Sony still top dog in games. But the way I see it...you made this thread because part of you is threatened MS has their shit together. Having the same studios as Sony is somehow registered as a insult to Sony’s superiority so you have to drive home that Xbox makes “filler” as you said yourself. 

Fact is Xbox is making more games, more genre diversity and is also ramping up AAA production. Xbox wants to move beyond Halo Gears and Forza, get with the times. And you are listing 3rd party games....thought this was a 1st party discussion? Lol subtle. 

And don’t list Dreams when we all know it’s not selling... at all.

I don't think there's anything wrong with MS going for a bit more diversity. And yes, Sony's been doing games like Death Stranding, Dreams too, which obviously don't appeal to everyone and probably won't sell 10m copies. The big difference, however, is that they've always been building new AAA ip's that appeal to the core console gamers, while MS spend too long focusing on just their 3 AAA ip's: Gears, Halo and Forza. As someone already mentioned, the mass appeal and critical acclaim of Gears and Halo isn't what it used to be and imo they need new AAA ip's to keep things interesting. Now MS is making a whole bunch of new ip's, which is great, but tell me honestly: Would you buy games like Wasteland 3, Bleeding edge, Gears Tactics, Ori, Grounded, Everlast, flightsim if they were full retail price? 

Thing is, on one hand I'm pretty excited about Series X when I look at the specs. However, I'm just wondering what games MS can come up with that'll truly showcase what the thing can do. With Sony they're a lot more predictable and we already know there'll be AAA blockbusters like HZD, Spiderman, new ip's from ND/ SM etc. But from what we're seeing from MS, I can't think of any of their studios that'll make their own new AAA blockbuster and isn't a Halo or Gears, especially if they're all doing multiple projects. I mean from what we know there's Hellblade 2 and the rumoured Fable/ Perfect Dark reboots. Most people can't even remember Perfect Dark on the N64 while the 360 version was terrible, so why would anyone get excited about a reboot? The Fable reboot could be good, but people will obviously compare it to the Witcher and I'm not sure that's gonna work out for MS either. 

Your topic is really redundant because Ori 2 just scored a 90.

MS doesn’t have to make all their games system sellers because unlike Sony, MS doesn’t have a console paywall for PC gamers. Plus the existing Xbox base. Its just a matter of appealing to their tastes. 

I wouldn’t buy all the games you listed. But then again I’ll be playing games on GP that I wouldn’t have even tried otherwise. Get it? MS found a way to persuade me to play different games. You sound like a stockholder....what do we care if the smaller titles aren’t system sellers. We should be happy Xbox has more games and genre diversity compared to having neither not long ago. And they will attract a more diverse audience to the brand. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t lol.

Your analysis of Xbox’s upcoming AAA is extremely shallow and pessimistic. We don’t know how they look or play and yet you judge. Huh.

If people don’t remember Perfect Dark then great, sounds like a fresh slate and new IP ;). Fable has unique charm that sets it apart. Can’t wait to see what a higher budget Hellblade can do. Obsidian AAA is gonna be amazing they are a talented studio. Then you got Forza Horizon, Motorsport, Gears and Halo AAA. Thats 8 AAA IP. Your topic is premature, ignores and downplays the AAA and dismisses smaller quality games as filler. In no way is this objective.  

Im optimistic a new gen means the staple IPs can have newfound success. Remember while PS4 exclusives sell great, most PS3 exclusives sold horribly. Market share has a direct tie to 1st party sales. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 08 April 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.