By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

JWeinCom said:
Runa216 said:

Care to share? because 'they fight the original chronology' is not a sentence that makes any sense as far as I can decipher it, and what I CAN find of the ending cutscenes don't seem to be that severe of a change (at least not worth the rabid frothing I'm seeing in the thread)

I don't see any rabid frothing... I see people giving legitimate reasons why what fans were led to expect is not what was provided, and I see people trying to discredit legitimate criticism by referring to it with terms like "rabid frothing".  But, sure, I'll explain what I mean.

Spoiler!

Throughout the game their are characters called the "whispers of fate" who interact with your party in the interest of keeping things consistent with the original storyline.  Towards the end of the game you actually fight these whispers of fate who are trying to keep things consistent with the original storyline.  At which point Aeris says "the future is always a blank page".

The whispers of fate are literally the original timeline (chronology if you will) trying to interact with this new one to prevent it from changing.  And you fight and kill it.  That's what I mean by fighting the original chronology.  And the fact that they went out of their way to have you literally fight a force that's trying to keep the story the same, coupled with a lot of lines about changing destiny, leads to the very reasonable inference that they are planning rather large changes to the original storyline. 

It's actually insulting when you look at it like the whispers are the fans of the OG FF7 who actually believed the lies that this would be a very faithful remake, instead of being the reboot that it actually is.  So, it's no wonder that...

Spoiler!
the characters defeat these whispers/fans in battle...

so now they can make their own KH story in the FF7 universe.  I just don't get that if they wanted to make their own KH story in this universe, why not just make their own story and call the game FF7-2?  Oh right, because without falsely claiming that this was a faithful remake, it probably wouldn't have sold as well.  I think it also explains why there is no Remake Pt 1 in the title.  This was the remake part of their series.  Next game will just get a different subtitle.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 09 April 2020

Around the Network

"It is a reboot because they changed one point on the game that we all asked to be different, but now that they change it becomes a reboot".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
"It is a reboot because they changed one point on the game that we all asked to be different, but now that they change it becomes a reboot".

I'm sorry, who asked them to change major plot points of the game and then, much more than likely now, go on their own story right after Midgar?  I sure as heck didn't see anyone begging for that in the 5 years since its announcement.  People were hyped to play the OG story again, but with added parts to flesh out the game and characters. 

People are just making excuses for it now so they aren't disappointed and have their hype deflated by the "very faithful" remake being, in truth, more like FF7:Genisys.  At least Genisys didn't pretend it was a remake of Terminator to sell more tickets.

thismeintiel said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm sorry, who asked them to change major plot points of the game and then, much more than likely now, go on their own story right after Midgar?  I sure as heck didn't see anyone begging for that in the 5 years since its announcement.  People were hyped to play the OG story again, but with added parts to flesh out the game and characters. 

People are just making excuses for it now so they aren't disappointed and have their hype deflated by the "very faithful" remake being, in truth, more like FF7:Genisys.  At least Genisys didn't pretend it was a remake of Terminator to sell more tickets.

People asked for the game for 2 decades and already got the remaster with better graphic.

And you still confuses remaster, remake and reboot just to be more upset.

When you change 5h to 30h several changes will occur. It really is more a difference of what is considered major plot or not. And sorry unless you see to the end or at least what comes next you really can't say that one char leaving or die changes a major plot point, because the next could be achieved very similarly.

Would Naruto change totally if Jiraya didn't die? Or HP if Sirius? It could, but it also could not. Both deaths were mostly to mature the char (a very abused trope), but that maturity and sense of loss could be achieved differently and wouldn't really change the core of the story. That basically changes a little the path taken.

Consider like seeing the story from a different POV. Because it could indeed be that a char didn't really die, that was the impression of the people who saw the scene and that char suffering trauma and being incouncious or with amnesia.

As I said numerous time, wait for the whole story to be told before being pissed that they "changed everything".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

This thread is an interesting study in the duality of a fandom. Core structure vs. mythology.

One group is more than satisfied to play any story that in some way touches upon familiar beats, just so long as there's still a grand adventure with the characters they love, in a setting they remember fondly, with a combat system that feels natural to the FF lineage. For them, it's the moment to moment experience that defines the game.

The other, is much more invested in overarching elements that bind it all together. What's the exact plot? What's the nature of the conflict? How is it resolved? Is established lore respected? If these elements don't match up with their expectations, or established framework of the source material, the moment to moment experience is diminished significantly, and in some cases, made wholly irrelevant.

Neither group is wrong to feel how they feel. You just consume the material differently.

Around the Network

Also also, I'm seeing some Youtube channels like Gamexplain straight up lying to people on their review by saying that the game follows the same story as the original and mention NOTHING about it having any major changes. Hilariously, they go along with the lie so much that they claim that despite being a very old story, they won't want to spoil anything for those who haven't experienced it yet. Like... WTF.

I understand reviewers not throwing spoilers left and right (I mean... that's how most standard reviews work), but I think people at least deserve to know that the story IS different in a pretty significant way.

JWeinCom said:
Runa216 said:

Care to share? because 'they fight the original chronology' is not a sentence that makes any sense as far as I can decipher it, and what I CAN find of the ending cutscenes don't seem to be that severe of a change (at least not worth the rabid frothing I'm seeing in the thread)

I don't see any rabid frothing... I see people giving legitimate reasons why what fans were led to expect is not what was provided, and I see people trying to discredit legitimate criticism by referring to it with terms like "rabid frothing".  But, sure, I'll explain what I mean.

Spoiler!

Throughout the game their are characters called the "whispers of fate" who interact with your party in the interest of keeping things consistent with the original storyline.  Towards the end of the game you actually fight these whispers of fate who are trying to keep things consistent with the original storyline.  At which point Aeris says "the future is always a blank page".

The whispers of fate are literally the original timeline (chronology if you will) trying to interact with this new one to prevent it from changing.  And you fight and kill it.  That's what I mean by fighting the original chronology.  And the fact that they went out of their way to have you literally fight a force that's trying to keep the story the same, coupled with a lot of lines about changing destiny, leads to the very reasonable inference that they are planning rather large changes to the original storyline. 

See, this is where we differ. I personally think this 'spoiler' is easily the most interesting, unique, engaging, and fun-sounding twist on the story I've heard so far. I went from 'eeeeh...I guess it'll be fun and I'm getting it because I loved the original so much' to 'holy shit I have to play this and there's so much creative potential there!'

In the end, you are in charge of your own perception of the changes made in an adaptation or retelling or remake. Based on everything I heard the creators say leading up to this, I think this is well within the realm of what we could have expected. Yeah, I guess some people aren't going to like it, but so far it's just...a first step in a direction people don't like or might not like. It's still WAY too early to know if this direction is going to be all that different or not. If it is? Cool! I actually hope it is because the meta-storytelling is interesting to me. (Reminds me of anime and comic books/movies). If it ends up still basically being 90% the same game from here on out, I'm happy with that, too. 

I still think it's WAY too early to know if the direction they're going is good or not. all we know is that it has the potential to be wildly different from the original and what many of us came to expect. Subverting expectations CAN be a good thing and often is (Yeah, I know The Last Jedi was NOT a subversion that most people liked, but that's the exception), so I'm still going to withhold judgement until parts 2 and 3 are released. 

all I see is people eager to be upset about something long before they have any real right to know where this is going. be apprehensive, sure. I get it. but not only have none of you (unless you're in Australia or EU) actually played the game, but parts 2 and 3 aren't even out yet. all we have is conjecture on top of theories and extrapolation. We're about three steps away actually being able to judge this based on the whole. Could it be bad? sure, it could. I don't think it will be. It COULD be the best and most interesting take on the FFVII world we've ever seen, going above and beyond the rest of the franchise to date. We don't know and can't. all I see is people whining that the sanctity of their plotline might very literally be defeated. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Angelus said:
This thread is an interesting study in the duality of a fandom. Core structure vs. mythology.

One group is more than satisfied to play any story that in some way touches upon familiar beats, just so long as there's still a grand adventure with the characters they love, in a setting they remember fondly, with a combat system that feels natural to the FF lineage. For them, it's the moment to moment experience that defines the game.

The other, is much more invested in overarching elements that bind it all together. What's the exact plot? What's the nature of the conflict? How is it resolved? Is established lore respected? If these elements don't match up with their expectations, or established framework of the source material, the moment to moment experience is diminished significantly, and in some cases, made wholly irrelevant.

Neither group is wrong to feel how they feel. You just consume the material differently.

This puts it up nicely. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Angelus said:

I think everyone's wrong to pre-judge a game they haven't played, while extrapolating the changes to two iterations that we know nothing about. It sounds like PArt 1 is a pretty damn faithful remake from beginning to end with one major change at the very end that opens up the door to a literal multiverse of possibility. I feel that, until we've gotten the whole picture, none of us can truly judge this. You can be excited or not, you can like the direction or not, but you can't really know what's happening until we see the trilogy in its glory. 

IT reminds me of the Star Wars sequels. yeah, those ended up disappointing a lot of people, but there was a galaxy's worth of possibility to explore and unlimited potential. I saw people hating star wars before they even knew what the crew had planned. This is very similar. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Angelus said:

I think how the company handled it may be playing into things more than the changes here tbh I have the impression had they said it's a reboot or a re-envisioning which is between a reboot and remake expectations would have been significantly altered and the changes more accepted, for me personally I've been viewing and saying the remake is a reboot due to my definition of the word so expected some changes but even with my expectations the changes said to have been made are wild as to me a remake largely retains the original's story.

Because of this I can see where the fans who are unhappy are coming from because lets look at it this way the story in VII can be heavily expanded on with some examples as follows, more direct back story on on certain events and lore such as the player can get more in depth insight on the ancients and the arrival of Jenova as well as the latter disrupting the former and corrupting people. Elements from the expanded VII story from before could be implemented to flesh things out more and such the's a lot that can still be done with the original story that I'm sure others could add to as well how ever the changes made imply everything from before is now scrapped for what ever the team feels like.

Sure this would have been controversial in the scenario of different expectations as well but it would have been more accepted that's the impression I'm getting anyway.