Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Immersiveunreality said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

When all other remakes didn't do that, then the only one who was wrong is this game.

Second bolded: i don't care if it added or cut out something, as long as the main story was kept, then it is a remake. But nope, the major plot of the main story was changed, the "remake" which you claimed is not a remake anymore.

Wrong, a remake CAN have a changed plot if it still chronologically keeps other elements of the story intact with the same characters.

Give me an example of a remake JRPG which changed the plot like that.

deskpro2k3 said:
thismeintiel said:

And what about these lies from just two weeks ago?

"In terms of how faithful the remake is to the original Final Fantasy VII, from the perspective of the storyline, it is very faithful indeed," Toriyama said. "The major story structure is kept very close, so you will do the Mako Reactor bombing mission and then return to the Sector 7 slums."

Longtime series writer Kazushige Nojima echoed Toriyama's sentiment, adding: "Well, the main story is still the same, but I have added in many new scenes that happen between the main events of the original, which show how the relationship between Cloud and the other characters deepened. [For example], Cloud's childhood friend Tifa shows him a flat in Midgar, and they come to live in the same building. It is a Japanese-styled flat and the scene itself is quite sweet. So, I want people to look forward to [those additions]."

Producer and director of the original game, Yoshinori Kitase, also chimed in: "Of course, all the memorable elements and key moments from the original have been faithfully reproduced, and you can enjoy experiencing those again."

Again, these are absolute lies. Very faithful, my ass. I will not support false advertising or using the guise of a remake so Nomura can make more KH's bullshit. If you want to come up with excuses for  why blatantly lying to consumers is ok, you go right ahead, but don't act like they weren't BSing us from the start.

wtf? It's like you expect an exact 1:1 representation of the original with technology of today. They specifically said they've added many new scenes. The Bombing Mission was pretty damn faithful to me. The park scene was faithful. As well as many other things but with modern tech.

Added something to the original story is fine, changing the original story is not. Don't spread out the wrong information.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Runa216 said:

When remaking a story/game, changes might be necessary. Maybe there's a better way to do something, a more reasonable change to the plot, a more realistic sequence of events? I'm just saying, don't go into ANY remake or remaster or reimagining or whatever you wanna call this expecting the exact same thing. If they were just giving us the exact same thing with prettier graphics, then seriously what is the point? the remaster we got on PS4/Switch was that. This is a whole other thing and I thought it was super obvious from day one that there would be alterations to the game's fundamentals. 

I find it utterly baffling that people are upset that a game that's so far removed from the original in terms of gameplay and presentation would also have significant changes to the plot. From my perspective - and the perspective of most people who write - changes like that are inevitable. 

Look at the MCU: lots of changes from the source material, doing different things to get to many of the same places. and look how much money those movies make. Look at the reviews those films receive. they're good not because of the adherence to the source material, but because of the original things they do and the unique ways they do them. 

If you wanna judge the remake based 100% on how strictly adheres to the original's plot, then you do you. I'll be over here in reality where changes to an adaptation are a fundamental part of the adaptation process. they're par for the course. Virtually necessary to the creative process. 

Lufia on snes was a turn based rpg, got a remake on ds: graphic/art sytle/control completely changed, gameplay: action rpg and the main story: remain the same as the original. That is what we call a remake. Name me an example of a JRPG remake which had the main plot completely changed from the original???

Final Fantasy XIV

HoangNhatAnh said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Wrong, a remake CAN have a changed plot if it still chronologically keeps other elements of the story intact with the same characters.

Give me an example of a remake JRPG which changed the plot like that.

deskpro2k3 said:

wtf? It's like you expect an exact 1:1 representation of the original with technology of today. They specifically said they've added many new scenes. The Bombing Mission was pretty damn faithful to me. The park scene was faithful. As well as many other things but with modern tech.

Added something to the original story is fine, changing the original story is not. Don't spread out the wrong information.

I'm only spreading hard facts.

deskpro2k3 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Lufia on snes was a turn based rpg, got a remake on ds: graphic/art sytle/control completely changed, gameplay: action rpg and the main story: remain the same as the original. That is what we call a remake. Name me an example of a JRPG remake which had the main plot completely changed from the original???

Final Fantasy XIV

FFXIV is not a remake dude come on man this is an absurd reach trying to pass off FFXIV as a remake is like saying No Man's Sky is a remake as well.

deskpro2k3 said:
pikashoe said:

I don't know how many times you need to be told the same thing. People were expecting the story and characters to be expanded upon, maybe some extra sequences to be added, generally stuff that will add to and expand upon the original story.

This is just throwing out the original story and doing something almost completely different. I'm not sure if you've seen spoilers or not, but the latter part of this release completely jumps the shark. Now some my like this direction but the people who are unhappy with this are completely justified in there reasoning for not liking this new direction.

My points was directed towards what he addressed in his post.. How about you not interject yourself in a discussion that does not address the talking points.

I don't know how many times I have to tell people like you over and over again that the story was expanded upon. People are just unhappy because of that single none issue.

My initial comment admittedly starts off a bit too aggressive, I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but you are misinterpreting what people are saying and it's making you look bad. it's cool that you are fine with the story getting completely changed but I think the people that are unhappy have completely valid reasons to be angry about these massive changes. 

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Final Fantasy XIV

Ah, an update port? Now it somehow is a remake because you said so. WOW

Hiku said:

Around what I expected. I was thinking 89.
With the amount of people who always wanted it to be something else, even if it's unreasonable, some mixed reviews were unavoidable.
Others may be due to reasonable critique.

JWeinCom said:

Could it possibly be that they added this content to stretch the game into three parts?  And if the developer team was told that this was only going to be a single release, what would have happened to all of that content?

What do you think would have happened to a lot of the content from the original game we loved if they were told to make this into a singular release?
It would be cut from the game, because it's not possible to do in this kind of fidelity in one game.

"The other option was to include the entire scope of the original game in a single release. But in order to make that work as a modern game, we wouldn’t be able to go for the highest visual quality and we’d also have to cut back on areas and scenes from the original."

So this wasn't "unnecessarily splitting". It was necessary if they wanted to include everything important from the original.

The only question then was at what point they end each game. It has to be somewhere that feels appropriate for a full game experience. And not just as far as they can take it.
If they can't get to say the City of the Ancients on a one game budget, but only as far as Costa Del Sol, ending the first game there would not feel
appropriate. So the decision to focus on Midgar and move some later events into the Midgar section, while expanding on that city and its people sounds reasonable.

People who think they could fit everything from the original into one single game in this kind of fidelity are unrealistic.

If they made it into one game, people would complain about all the things cut from it.
If they made it into multiple games, people would complain about the extra "unnecessary" stuff.

I've seen a lot of complaints about this over the years, but never accompanied by a constructive or realistic suggestion along with it.

I think what you don't realize is that people who want the whole story in one game are ok with it not being on this level of fidelity.

The last of us PS4 - REMASTER - same assets, story, music, pacing, guns, caracters, nothing relevant added. Just more quality on everything like textures, fps, loading times. Its almos like playing the same game but this time on your friends powerfull pc

Final Fantasy 12 PS4. Still a REMASTER, But with a few added elements, maybe expanded, a few rweaks to the combat system. Like playing the game on your friends powerful pc but the bought the goty edition with additional content.

RE2/Shadow of the colossus/FF7 - REMAKE - the game is 100% built from the ground. Some things need to change to adapt to new technology, new stuff will be added, some will be cut, there will be new mechanics, combat system etc. But you keep the core game. Main caracters, story, pivotal moments, how you get from point A to point B. Its still the same game but modernized.

God of War 2018/RE7/Modern Warefare 2019- its a REBOOT - you can even connect it with the main games, but everything is new. Past games may help with story and some background, but for all the rest you are free to go crazy. No strings attached. You can even ignore old games and there will be no problem. You start anew.

The difference with FF7? It should be a remake, but they drastically changed the story. Its on a new universe/dimension and this opens a pandora box to change a LOT of stuff in game, and of course it was done in purpose to tell the story in a different way. It will still be connected to the events of original FF7, but there is no obligation to follow it. Maybe aeris wont die. Maybe cloud wont go in a coma. A lot of time travel/dimension will be included. Even the objective may be different. Not save earth from seph's comet but maybe reconnect the dimensions and fighting some KH boss in the end. Hell this may be even be happenning inside that nonsense mess that is KH universe.

So FF7 sits between a remake, a reboot and a sequel for me. Hard to define. Its more like FF7-2 and not a remake, and this is NOT what I was expecting.

The bad? Im really disappointed and will buy it one it goes into super promotion
The good? Its going to be all new and Im really curious to see what will be releasing following it, where they can take this paralel dimension story in this amazing world. If they release the sequels.

you know, it just occurred to me....this game isn't even out yet. Wait and play it for yourself before deciding that the game's changes are an abomination based solely on what some reviews and early leaks have said...which, you know, are specifically designed to be headline-grabbing.

Iron Man 3 completely changed The Mandarin, and it made 1.2 billion dollars worldwide and got overall positive reviews. some people too beholden to the source material whined, but in the end the change worked and was fun and engaging and fit the story. Watchmen's ending was completely changed, and that was nearly universally agreed to be a positive change.

My point is, maybe you should all stop being alarmist over a game you haven't even played yet. Everything I've seen and everything I've heard about the game is very clearly telling the same story with some tweaks; I'm 99% sure you're all blowing this WAY out of proportion. You'd figure by now you'd have collectively learned that you really shouldn't stir up such a fuss over nothing. Seriously, everything from day one indicated to me that things would change, I genuinely don't understand how so many people could be so dense and so closeminded.

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

EnricoPallazzo said:
The last of us PS4 - REMASTER - same assets, story, music, pacing, guns, caracters, nothing relevant added. Just more quality on everything like textures, fps, loading times. Its almos like playing the same game but this time on your friends powerfull pc

Final Fantasy 12 PS4. Still a REMASTER, But with a few added elements, maybe expanded, a few rweaks to the combat system. Like playing the game on your friends powerful pc but the bought the goty edition with additional content.

RE2/Shadow of the colossus/FF7 - REMAKE - the game is 100% built from the ground. Some things need to change to adapt to new technology, new stuff will be added, some will be cut, there will be new mechanics, combat system etc. But you keep the core game. Main caracters, story, pivotal moments, how you get from point A to point B. Its still the same game but modernized.

God of War 2018/RE7/Modern Warefare 2019- its a REBOOT - you can even connect it with the main games, but everything is new. Past games may help with story and some background, but for all the rest you are free to go crazy. No strings attached. You can even ignore old games and there will be no problem. You start anew.

The difference with FF7? It should be a remake, but they drastically changed the story. Its on a new universe/dimension and this opens a pandora box to change a LOT of stuff in game, and of course it was done in purpose to tell the story in a different way. It will still be connected to the events of original FF7, but there is no obligation to follow it. Maybe aeris wont die. Maybe cloud wont go in a coma. A lot of time travel/dimension will be included. Even the objective may be different. Not save earth from seph's comet but maybe reconnect the dimensions and fighting some KH boss in the end. Hell this may be even be happenning inside that nonsense mess that is KH universe.

So FF7 sits between a remake, a reboot and a sequel for me. Hard to define. Its more like FF7-2 and not a remake, and this is NOT what I was expecting.

The bad? Im really disappointed and will buy it one it goes into super promotion
The good? Its going to be all new and Im really curious to see what will be releasing following it, where they can take this paralel dimension story in this amazing world. If they release the sequels.

It's almost like...like the concept of remake and remaster and reboot are all on a spectrum and not binary. IT's almost like, as the world turns, things change and new ideas are brought forth and expanded upon. IT's almost like, not everything needs to neatly fit into previously existing definitions. It's almost like...and get this...the world is complicated and nuanced and most everything should be approached in a slightly different way that suits the situation and is thematically appropriate.

Things change, that's a fact of reality. and with Gaming as a medium constantly evolving and updating and trying out new things, the backlash to this is absolutely archaic. Hilariously outdated. Quaintly antiquated. 

My point is, it's actually immature and shortsighted to be tHIS upset about this. Not only is it rather ignorant to assume a REMAKE is going to be the exact same as the original, but everything in this game's built-up history has indicated that it's going to be a retelling of the same basic story. New rules, new format, new combat system, tweaked storey, changed features, etc. Adaptation requires change, that's creative writing 101. The only thing that's left to determine, from the stance of someone not trapped by the tradition of what came before, is whether or not the changes are GOOD! 

All I see is a bunch of people whining about an adaptation making changes, much like when people complained about Ciri maybe not being white or other equally nonsensical public outrages over nothing. Just a bunch of whiny brats who find it personally insulting that a 20+ years later remake of a game they love wasn't exactly the same, or same enough for their personal guidelines. Again, at the very least, wait until the actual damn game is out and you've played through it to determine if these changes work for you or not. Who knows, it might genuinely be a better story, with better character development, and more reasonable explanations. Who knows? you don't. you can't. Not yet. 

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II