Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

thismeintiel said:
Hynad said:

From one of your own link:

According to the head of the project with Tetsuya Nomura, the challenge is to create something that can be designed “thanks to the technological power and the quality of entertainment provided by the current generation”, all without forgetting “try to capture elements of the original with respect". According to his words, those who played it at the time will feel "new but familiar", while those less versed in the saga "will experience the charm of Final Fantasy VII, which thrills the hearts of many." Of course, with the latest technology.

Exactly as I pointed out in my earlier comment. Wishes.

I live in the real world.  Not the one in which everything has to be the way I want it in my head. 

I’m sorry, but I knew for a long time they were going to make the journey to many events be different, while retaining the core aspects of the game’s story. 

I knew they weren’t going to do a complete copy/paste of the original and call it a day. 

It is because I knew what to expect that I am not too concerned by the changes made. If I wanted to replay the same game, I have it in many of my gaming systems.

I hope they have a good plan for Part 2 to make it all worthwhile and a compelling continuation. But until I see how they handle it, I am not going to call foul or complain about it everywhere I can and try to change the definition of the word remake.

I understand a lot of people are allergic to change. 

Me? It depends. But as for this game, again, as long as they get the story to where it needs to go, I don’t care if they change the journey and make things new and surprising. 

“The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear.
But let us embrace whatever it brings.”

And what about these lies from just two weeks ago?

"In terms of how faithful the remake is to the original Final Fantasy VII, from the perspective of the storyline, it is very faithful indeed," Toriyama said. "The major story structure is kept very close, so you will do the Mako Reactor bombing mission and then return to the Sector 7 slums."

Longtime series writer Kazushige Nojima echoed Toriyama's sentiment, adding: "Well, the main story is still the same, but I have added in many new scenes that happen between the main events of the original, which show how the relationship between Cloud and the other characters deepened. [For example], Cloud's childhood friend Tifa shows him a flat in Midgar, and they come to live in the same building. It is a Japanese-styled flat and the scene itself is quite sweet. So, I want people to look forward to [those additions]."

Producer and director of the original game, Yoshinori Kitase, also chimed in: "Of course, all the memorable elements and key moments from the original have been faithfully reproduced, and you can enjoy experiencing those again."

Again, these are absolute lies. Very faithful, my ass. I will not support false advertising or using the guise of a remake so Nomura can make more KH's bullshit. If you want to come up with excuses for  why blatantly lying to consumers is ok, you go right ahead, but don't act like they weren't BSing us from the start.

Ahhh well. You haven’t experienced it sooo... In the mean time, keep the outrage culture strong! 🤘👍👍

“Because Cloud... You... are a puppet.”

Last edited by Hynad - on 09 April 2020

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Hynad said:

From one of your own link:

According to the head of the project with Tetsuya Nomura, the challenge is to create something that can be designed “thanks to the technological power and the quality of entertainment provided by the current generation”, all without forgetting “try to capture elements of the original with respect". According to his words, those who played it at the time will feel "new but familiar", while those less versed in the saga "will experience the charm of Final Fantasy VII, which thrills the hearts of many." Of course, with the latest technology.

Exactly as I pointed out in my earlier comment. Wishes.

I live in the real world.  Not the one in which everything has to be the way I want it in my head. 

I’m sorry, but I knew for a long time they were going to make the journey to many events be different, while retaining the core aspects of the game’s story. 

I knew they weren’t going to do a complete copy/paste of the original and call it a day. 

It is because I knew what to expect that I am not too concerned by the changes made. If I wanted to replay the same game, I have it in many of my gaming systems.

I hope they have a good plan for Part 2 to make it all worthwhile and a compelling continuation. But until I see how they handle it, I am not going to call foul or complain about it everywhere I can and try to change the definition of the word remake.

I understand a lot of people are allergic to change. 

Me? It depends. But as for this game, again, as long as they get the story to where it needs to go, I don’t care if they change the journey and make things new and surprising. 

“The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear.
But let us embrace whatever it brings.”

"In terms of how faithful the remake is to the original Final Fantasy VII, from the perspective of the storyline, it is very faithful indeed," Toriyama said. "The major story structure is kept very close, so you will do the Mako Reactor bombing mission and then return to the Sector 7 slums."

Longtime series writer Kazushige Nojima echoed Toriyama's sentiment, adding: "Well, the main story is still the same, but I have added in many new scenes that happen between the main events of the original, which show how the relationship between Cloud and the other characters deepened. [For example], Cloud's childhood friend Tifa shows him a flat in Midgar, and they come to live in the same building. It is a Japanese-styled flat and the scene itself is quite sweet. So, I want people to look forward to [those additions]."

Producer and director of the original game, Yoshinori Kitase, also chimed in: "Of course, all the memorable elements and key moments from the original have been faithfully reproduced, and you can enjoy experiencing those again."

Again, these are absolute lies. Very faithful, my ass. I will not support false advertising or using the guise of a remake so Nomura can make more KH's bullshit. If you want to come up with excuses for  why blatantly lying to consumers is ok, you go right ahead, but don't act like they weren't BSing us from the start.

wtf? It's like you expect an exact 1:1 representation of the original with technology of today. They specifically said they've added many new scenes. The Bombing Mission was pretty damn faithful to me. The park scene was faithful. As well as many other things but with modern tech.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 08 April 2020

deskpro2k3 said:
thismeintiel said:

wtf? You expect an exact 1:1 representation of the original with technology of today? They specifically said they've added many new scenes. The Bombing Mission was pretty damn faithful to me. The park scene was faithful. As well as many other things but with modern tech.

I don't know how many times you need to be told the same thing. People were expecting the story and characters to be expanded upon, maybe some extra sequences to be added, generally stuff that will add to and expand upon the original story.

This is just throwing out the original story and doing something almost completely different. I'm not sure if you've seen spoilers or not, but the latter part of this release completely jumps the shark. Now some my like this direction but the people who are unhappy with this are completely justified in there reasoning for not liking this new direction.

Immersiveunreality said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Except there is no jrpg remake which changed completely the main story like this, the final villain could become an antihero, an ally in the next part and fighting together against a new villain. A remake could change the graphic, art style, battle system, music, add a lot more contents or whatever except the main plot. All JRPG remakes existed so far have changed a lot of things but not the story. FFVIIR did it, mean it's not a remake anymore, changing the major plot = rebooting the story.

Try to get this: I does not matter how other remakes were done,that does not change that this is a remake.

Bolded: Wrong,it still uses that same story with the same cast and some things left out or some adding does not make this a reboot.

When all other remakes didn't do that, then the only one who was wrong is this game.

Second bolded: i don't care if it added or cut out something, as long as the main story was kept, then it is a remake. But nope, the major plot of the main story was changed, the "remake" which you claimed is not a remake anymore.

Vodacixi said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Try to get this: I does not matter how other remakes were done,that does not change that this is a remake.

Bolded: Wrong,it still uses that same story with the same cast and some things left out or some adding does not make this a reboot.

I mean, if you don't want to use the correct word that has been used for decades to define a new take on a certain IP that resets the original story (reboot)... you are free to do so. But don't try to argue with other people about it. Because you are wrong. If every freaking remake in the history of remakes has been done in a certain way... then if there comes a product that does not adjust to those traits, but to those of another type of recreation (a reboot... maybe a reimagining if we want to stretch things), then that thing by definition is NOT A REMAKE. It's a reboot.

The definition you want us to believe is what you personally think the definition is by cherrypicking examples that do not matter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''A reboot is a way to reuse the concept behind a game/movie/etc. (backstory, gameplay mechanics, some characters/locations/plotlines) but otherwise rewrite the entire plot and characters. ... Typically, it means that all existing "canon" for the setting and characters is wiped clean''

''It has been described as a way to "rebrand"[3] or "restart an entertainment universe that has already been established".[1] Another definition of a reboot is a remake which is part of an established film series or other media franchise.[4] The term has been criticised for being a vague and "confusing"[5] " buzzword",[6] and a neologism for remake,[7][8] a concept which has been losing popularity in the 2010s''

''In general, the simplest way to remember the difference between a reboot and a remake is to remember that for a film to be a reboot, it should be resetting a chronology that's been established over multiple films. A remake is concerned with updating a single film, sometimes slavishly''

''With video games there are clear cut reboots with games like 2013's Tomb Raider, 2003's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and 2004's Ninja Gaiden (even though I don't believe it was marketed as a reboot) where both the gameplay and storyline saw revamps.

But then we head a murkier area where gameplay more or less gets rebooted, but there is still storyline continuity.

Take last year's Resident Evil VII where they revamped the gameplay and while it is still within the same storyline continuity, the setting is very much self-contained. Aside from a few nods to show that it takes place within the same universe, it pretty much can stand alone without any knowledge of prior titles (normally the goal of a reboot to attract new audiences).''

Dictonary:

verb (used with object)

to restart (a computer) by loading the operating system; boot again.
to produce a distinctly new version of (an established media franchise, as a film, TV show, video game, or comic book):The studio is rebooting Spider-Man.
to make a change in (something) in order to establish a new beginning:She’s rebooting her career.Lower interest rates are intended to reboot the economy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FF7 remake still sticks close enough to the path the original took to be considered a remake and even reboot is kind of a branched off word for remake but by distinction FF7 is STILL a remake.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Immersiveunreality said:

When all other remakes didn't do that, then the only one who was wrong is this game.

Second bolded: i don't care if it added or cut out something, as long as the main story was kept, then it is a remake. But nope, the major plot of the main story was changed, the "remake" which you claimed is not a remake anymore.

Wrong, a remake CAN have a changed plot if it still chronologically keeps other elements of the story intact with the same characters.

pikashoe said:
deskpro2k3 said:

wtf? You expect an exact 1:1 representation of the original with technology of today? They specifically said they've added many new scenes. The Bombing Mission was pretty damn faithful to me. The park scene was faithful. As well as many other things but with modern tech.

I don't know how many times you need to be told the same thing. People were expecting the story and characters to be expanded upon, maybe some extra sequences to be added, generally stuff that will add to and expand upon the original story.

This is just throwing out the original story and doing something almost completely different. I'm not sure if you've seen spoilers or not, but the latter part of this release completely jumps the shark. Now some my like this direction but the people who are unhappy with this are completely justified in there reasoning for not liking this new direction.

My points was directed towards what he addressed in his post.. How about you not interject yourself in a discussion that does not address the talking points.

I don't know how many times I have to tell people like you over and over again that the story was expanded upon. People are just unhappy because of that single none issue.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 08 April 2020

Hynad said:
thismeintiel said:

Ahhh well. You haven’t experienced it sooo... In the mean time, keep the outcry culture strong! 🤘👍👍

Ooo, the angst. I can see why you like turning FF7 into KH.

deskpro2k3 said:
thismeintiel said:

wtf? It's like you expect an exact 1:1 representation of the original with technology of today. They specifically said they've added many new scenes. The Bombing Mission was pretty damn faithful to me. The park scene was faithful. As well as many other things but with modern tech.

Reading comprehensive fail there. No one is upset about added scenes amongst a "very faithful" remake of the original storyline. What pisses people off is SE saying that's what the game is, yet deliver a completely different thing than promised. Sure, this thing is probably that for around 75% of the game. The problem is that the other 25% not only shits on the OG story, but makes them trying to be faithful for that 75% useless. It's no longer FF7. It's FF7: Genisys. The story going from this point onward is whatever they want it to be. A new sequel to FF7: Genisys, not the next chapter in a "very faithful" remake.

Runa216 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

expand = adding more contents to the original story

FFVIIR = changing completely some major plots of the original story

When remaking a story/game, changes might be necessary. Maybe there's a better way to do something, a more reasonable change to the plot, a more realistic sequence of events? I'm just saying, don't go into ANY remake or remaster or reimagining or whatever you wanna call this expecting the exact same thing. If they were just giving us the exact same thing with prettier graphics, then seriously what is the point? the remaster we got on PS4/Switch was that. This is a whole other thing and I thought it was super obvious from day one that there would be alterations to the game's fundamentals. 

I find it utterly baffling that people are upset that a game that's so far removed from the original in terms of gameplay and presentation would also have significant changes to the plot. From my perspective - and the perspective of most people who write - changes like that are inevitable. 

Look at the MCU: lots of changes from the source material, doing different things to get to many of the same places. and look how much money those movies make. Look at the reviews those films receive. they're good not because of the adherence to the source material, but because of the original things they do and the unique ways they do them. 

If you wanna judge the remake based 100% on how strictly adheres to the original's plot, then you do you. I'll be over here in reality where changes to an adaptation are a fundamental part of the adaptation process. they're par for the course. Virtually necessary to the creative process. 

Lufia on snes was a turn based rpg, got a remake on ds: graphic/art sytle/control completely changed, gameplay: action rpg and the main story: remain the same as the original. That is what we call a remake. Name me an example of a JRPG remake which had the main plot completely changed from the original???

thismeintiel said:

Hynad said:

Ahhh well. You haven’t experienced it sooo... In the mean time, keep the outcry culture strong! 🤘👍👍

Ooo, the angst. I can see why you like turning FF7 into KH.

deskpro2k3 said:

Reading comprehensive fail there. No one is upset about added scenes amongst a "very faithful" remake of the original storyline. What pisses people off is SE saying that's what the game is, yet deliver a completely different thing than promised. Sure, this thing is probably that for around 75% of the game. The problem is that the other 25% not only shits on the OG story, but makes them trying to be faithful for that 75% useless. It's no longer FF7. It's FF7: Genisys. The story going from this point onward is whatever they want it to be. A new sequel to FF7: Genisys, not the next chapter in a "very faithful" remake.

They're upset because they don't know what a Remake is. Probably the same people that can't tell the difference between episodic and a multipart game.

I'll leave you to believe whatever you want.