By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How different of each other are XBOX, Nintendo and Playstation consumers?

Which your main gaming platform?

Xbox consoles 10 12.66%

Sony consoles 20 25.32%

Nintendo consoles 25 31.65%

Other (PC) 7 8.86%

I have more than one main gaming platform 17 21.52%

Total:79

Overgeneralizing can be subjective but more or less patterns emerge.

Nintendo fans care about that style of 1st party software that Sony or MS can’t capture. Their games are whimsical, for adults they make you feel like a kid again and recapture that feeling of wonder and fun you had in the younger days. For kids it’s likely the first console they have because their parents had Nintendo or just figure its the most family friendly brand. You don’t play Nintendo for the power and bells and whistles; you play for titles that are unique to gaming and ones you call your friends over to play on the couch.

Xbox and PS fans are simpler. Games that look lifelike over whimsy. We want our consoles and to have the best specs because that means better looking and performing games. Complex narratives with nuanced characters. Mature content (not blood per se but more like adult themes) and quite simply the best 3rd party content.

PS gamers tend to love 3rd person games. “Single player 3rd person story driven action adventure first party” games they can’t seem to get enough of since Sony’s best exclusives follow that formula. I’d say Xbox gamers gravitate more towards some combination of FPS, racing, and WRPGs.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Xxain said:
They are not different.

A gamers taste is defined by what is available on their console.

More like the opposite, the gamer buy the console because of what is available on it, his taste is prior to that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Xbox and PS are pretty similar because they're top selling games are almost the same while nintendo fans are more loyal towards Nintendo games.

shikamaru317 said:

My opinion, Sony and MS mainly fight over the same consumers. Nintendo and PC have their own distinct fanbases. There is some crossover between all of the groups, but the only one with a significant amount of crossover is MS-Sony.

Edit: Ah, so this is more about personality than buying habits. Well, all 4 fanbases have their toxic elements for sure. Fanboys who think their platform of choice is the best and the others all suck; PC master race people, Sony Ponies, Xbots, Nintendies, whatever you want to call them. I feel like toxic fanboys are the loud minority, the silent majority isn't toxic and holds no extreme allegiance to any platform or company. Many like myself are multiplat gamers, especially Nintendo fans, I think there is some statistic that says that 2/3rds of Switch owners also own a Playstation or Xbox. 

From where does 2/3 of Switch owners owning PS or Xbox show they are Nintendo fans instead of the opposite?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I bought the Switch for 3rd parties titles and got my PS4 for 1st party titles (God Of War, Uncharted 4, Wipeout and Spider-man were the only games I played on it) so I guess I can't really know why people buy a console or another.

And I guess if you're japanese or french, you would mostly go for Nintendo, american for Microsoft and the rest of Europe Sony

Around the Network

I'm a Nintendo fan myself, and as has already been said by others, it's their whimsical and fun-focused approach to gaming that appeal to me so strongly, as it makes their games great for the kind of escapism and de-stressing that's my main reason for playing games in the first place.

That said, I am not Nintendo exclusive. I also love me a good M-rated action game, which Nintendo simply don't make. Some of my favourite games include the likes of Resident Evil 4, Bioshock 1 and Infinite, and Hellblade. I'm currently on my second playthrough of The Evil Within on Xbox 360.

As a person I describe myself as imaginative, empathetic, highly anxious, and socially awkward.

My experience of being part of the Nintendo fanbase has generally been very positive. I admit it does annoy me sometimes that a lot of the more hardcore fans will defend absolutely everything Nintendo make or do no matter how crappy, but for the most part its an upbeat and passionate group with shared love of Nintendo's unique design philosophy. Nowadays most seem to be adults who grew up with the NES/SNES/N64.

SKMBlake said:
I bought the Switch for 3rd parties titles and got my PS4 for 1st party titles (God Of War, Uncharted 4, Wipeout and Spider-man were the only games I played on it) so I guess I can't really know why people buy a console or another.

And I guess if you're japanese or french, you would mostly go for Nintendo, american for Microsoft and the rest of Europe Sony

Switch primarily for 3rd party titles??? Wow, that’s the exception to the rule if I ever saw it. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

PC, PS and Xbox are basically the same thing these days with the top played games being multi-platform.
Nintendo is probably the stand out as its more arts and legacy. Gone are the days with Sega vs Nintendo when it was more about craft.

It all goes down to who buys the main console will gravitate towards the games on it, however between Sony and MS and PC, they all fight to sell you their platform because you only really need one of them as the game libraries are almost identical. Unlike Nintendo, they don't have to convince you to buy their console based on hardware specs and features.

Sales charts show MicroSony fans are virtually the same. Nintendo owners go almost exclusively for Nintendo titles but who is to say if Calls of Doody or Madden weren’t yearly available that they also wouldn’t sell very well? I doubt they’d still make a dent in Nintendo software. PC is way too broad to make any generalizations.

It’s an interesting difference.

I’ve never really ascribed to one console. I always end up buying them all. There are certainly ebbs and flows as to which console has my attention at the moment, but consoles typically go through strong and weak patches of time.