By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How different of each other are XBOX, Nintendo and Playstation consumers?

Which your main gaming platform?

Xbox consoles 10 12.66%

Sony consoles 20 25.32%

Nintendo consoles 25 31.65%

Other (PC) 7 8.86%

I have more than one main gaming platform 17 21.52%

Total:79

I'm a big Nintendo fan and only had Nintendo consoles since I was little. I have all of them, except for the 3DS and I never owned another system.
Of course I played on other consoles, especially PS2 and Mega drive at some friend's house but my savings always went for Nintendo.

Even on PS2, I always was more attracted by Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank than GTA and stuff like that.
Nowadays I have a salary and I could buy a PS4/XOne but I'm not interested in what they have to offer. Just Some little regrets like Horizon Zero Down or Ori and the will of the wisps but that's pretty much it.

I guess what I like is what some flagship Nintendo franchises represent to me, as I played them while growing up. Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash and Metroid to name a few.

I always feel like Nintendo goes the extra mile when they do games. Splatoon for example is not just a regular 3rd person shooter. It has some more advanced gameplay mechanics than the usual shooter. Or with Metroid Prime as a FPS. Same goes for platformers and adventure games. I mean, for me, BOTW is what Ubisoft tried to achieve for years with Assassin's Creed without completely succeding.

I also think that Nintendo is more about gameplay than everything else. For example every Mario game has it's own mechanics and it's always very carefully introduced.

I love their ideas in general too and their concept with the Switche made a game like The Witcher 3 appealing to me. I couldn't care less about graphics in this game, but I could play it everywhere et whenever I wanted and that's something no one else can offer.

The gaming experience is very different from XONE/PS4 in my opinion. I can't really see the difference between PS4 and Xone in terms of experience and in the light of how I like to play videogames.

In my opinion, and that's only mine, Nintendo does it better. 

Last edited by Supermario28 - on 07 April 2020

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
sethnintendo said:
The reason why it was called shooter box is because look at the top 10 titles on 360.

That's not the fault of the box, though. It's what was popular. It still had a really diverse library. PS3 seemed like it wanted to be a "shooter box". M.A.G., Haze, Warhawk, Killzone, Resistance. Shooters were what was hot back then. One console just became the preferred place to play them.

Or they didn't have as much diverse IPs and let 3rd party shooters run rampant.   N64 should be considered shooter box because of GoldenEye (reason why I went back to Nintendo) but it had other IPs.  Yea it was a time of days when CoD was God.

sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:

That's not the fault of the box, though. It's what was popular. It still had a really diverse library. PS3 seemed like it wanted to be a "shooter box". M.A.G., Haze, Warhawk, Killzone, Resistance. Shooters were what was hot back then. One console just became the preferred place to play them.

Or they didn't have as much diverse IPs and let 3rd party shooters run rampant.   N64 should be considered shooter box because of GoldenEye (reason why I went back to Nintendo) but it had other IPs.  Yea it was a time of days when CoD was God.

Out of curiosity, I googled the best selling games for both consoles. Both had a pretty good mix. Both had a lot of shooters. One console got demonized for it. But that's how a lot of things in this world are. I understand.

In Japan, Nintendo is well accepted by the general public and has lots of female fans.
Sony hardware is considered somewhat masculine, nerdy and dark.

strange enough even though vgc was being called out for nintendo domination and lack of ms fans the pool isn't that far apart

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
The reason why it was called shooter box is because look at the top 10 titles on 360.

It was a shooter box for the few who bought it in Japan as well but not the same shooters the west bought. 360 was a great Shmup console. A lot of great ones on that system.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

d21lewis said:
sethnintendo said:

Out of curiosity, I googled the best selling games for both consoles. Both had a pretty good mix. Both had a lot of shooters. One console got demonized for it. But that's how a lot of things in this world are. I understand.

Did Xbox fans get demonized for it?  Maybe but I only saw it as an insult in lack of diversity in genres.  Shooters aren't bad but when most of the top 10 list is dominated then one has a lack of diversity in top selling genres.  Let us see the list.

Kinect Adventures - not shooter

GTAV - I'll say not shooter on this one even though it is getting damn close to one

Halo 3 - shooter

Skyrim - not shooter

Minecraft - not shooter

CoD Black Ops - shooter

Halo: Reach - shooter

Halo 4 - shooter

CoD MW2- shooter

Gears of War - shooter

I'm counting 6/10 in top 10 as shooter. 

Face the facts Microsoft will always be known as the dude bro console and they even marketed themselves as that in the era.  Remember?

and hell that was with the Xbox One so they embraced that culture quite well.

sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:

Did Xbox fans get demonized for it?  Maybe but I only saw it as an insult in lack of diversity in genres.  Shooters aren't bad but when most of the top 10 list is dominated then one has a lack of diversity in top selling genres.  Let us see the list.

Kinect Adventures - not shooter

GTAV - I'll say not shooter on this one even though it is getting damn close to one

Halo 3 - shooter

Skyrim - not shooter

Minecraft - not shooter

CoD Black Ops - shooter

Halo: Reach - shooter

Halo 4 - shooter

CoD MW2- shooter

Gears of War - shooter

I'm counting 6/10 in top 10 as shooter. 

Face the facts Microsoft will always be known as the dude bro console and they even marketed themselves as that in the era.  Remember?

and hell that was with the Xbox One so they embraced that culture quite well.

Awesome. Now list the PS3 top ten. Or both console's top twenty for an even better picture.

Like everywhere, fanboyism is the cancer of every community. I'm mainly a PC gamer, but PC gamers can be annoying as hell with their apparent "god-like" machines, which thanks to the surveys, translates to mediocre quadcore i5 and GTX 1050/1060 (and that's miles better from what we've seen three/four years ago). The amount of flexing against consoles in that community hurts my eyes. But by far the worst group in gaming community are Sony fanboys. Any criticism, no matter how legitimate, is met with a wrath of biblical proportions. You might as well replace all their replies with Greta Thunberg's "how dare you" meme.

Kristof81 said:
Like everywhere, fanboyism is the cancer of every community. I'm mainly a PC gamer, but PC gamers can be annoying as hell with their apparent "god-like" machines, which thanks to the surveys, translates to mediocre quadcore i5 and GTX 1050/1060 (and that's miles better from what we've seen three/four years ago). The amount of flexing against consoles in that community hurts my eyes. But by far the worst group in gaming community are Sony fanboys. Any criticism, no matter how legitimate, is met with a wrath of biblical proportions. You might as well replace all their replies with Greta Thunberg's "how dare you" meme.

I find the whole Steam survey as an end all to be all trump card as annoying at best, primarily because it's used as a numbers game tactic, which really doesn't hold water, when you look at the mobile phone userbase, which is so much larger, and the whole "gameplay>graphics" argument, which is also touted, gets thrown out the window, when again the mobile phone group is brought in, which heavily outnumber console and PC users. 

Also, there are more people out there who do not always opt in for the HW survey (myself included), so it's a variable at best.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"