By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How different of each other are XBOX, Nintendo and Playstation consumers?

Which your main gaming platform?

Xbox consoles 10 12.66%

Sony consoles 20 25.32%

Nintendo consoles 25 31.65%

Other (PC) 7 8.86%

I have more than one main gaming platform 17 21.52%

Total:79
Kristof81 said:
Like everywhere, fanboyism is the cancer of every community. I'm mainly a PC gamer, but PC gamers can be annoying as hell with their apparent "god-like" machines, which thanks to the surveys, translates to mediocre quadcore i5 and GTX 1050/1060 (and that's miles better from what we've seen three/four years ago). The amount of flexing against consoles in that community hurts my eyes. But by far the worst group in gaming community are Sony fanboys. Any criticism, no matter how legitimate, is met with a wrath of biblical proportions. You might as well replace all their replies with Greta Thunberg's "how dare you" meme.

That's because you're just watching Sony's negative threads.

Fanboys never admit their mistakes, and you are always disappointed for it.

Around the Network

One annoying part about being a Nintendo gamer is that unfortunately you do have to put up with your choice of platform being constantly shit on by the kind of elitist wankers who use phrases like "casual" and "kiddy" as pejoratives and think being a self-described "hardcore gamer" makes them superior. Or who can't grasp or accept that hardware power doesn't mean as much to everyone as it does to them.

It's not quite as bad now as it was in the Wii days, but it's still a pain in the arse.

curl-6 said:

One annoying part about being a Nintendo gamer is that unfortunately you do have to put up with your choice of platform being constantly shit on by the kind of elitist wankers who use phrases like "casual" and "kiddy" as pejoratives and think being a self-described "hardcore gamer" makes them superior. Or who can't grasp or accept that hardware power doesn't mean as much to everyone as it does to them.

It's not quite as bad now as it was in the Wii days, but it's still a pain in the arse.

I mean, you're not really alone in that regard. PC gaming is "outdated", "for nerds", "basement dwelling virgins", among many other names. PC gets the same sort of rap every time a new gen starts and ends as well, such as the infamous "PC gaming is dead/dying", or "Consoles will beat out PC this time for sure". I recently saw a thread over on Era, where OP was coming off like some complete loom, in stating that it's impossible to plug in a desktop to a TV, and yet they were met with actual findings and examples of how it is and can actually be done, yet the main gripe was "keyboards in the Living room are the devil", kind of thought process. Some people still think PC gamers have to be hunched over a KB+M, or that we always have to play games on some small table in a corner, not sitting in comfort. Then we also face the Stigmatism of apparently always having bad ports, always having to update drivers, having less quality games etc, it just goes on and on and it still perpetuates over on the likes of Era and Twitter, via Xbox and PS groups found on those two places. I'm not going to deny that the other systems get their own share of shade though. We have Xbox being cited as the "dude bro" console, "only filled with shooters" and the like. Or how PS is filled with only "cinematic" titles etc.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
curl-6 said:

I mean, you're not really alone in that regard. PC gaming is "outdated", "for nerds", "basement dwelling virgins", among many other names. PC gets the same sort of rap every time a new gen starts and ends as well, such as the infamous "PC gaming is dead/dying", or "Consoles will beat out PC this time for sure". I recently saw a thread over on Era, where OP was coming off like some complete loom, in stating that it's impossible to plug in a desktop to a TV, and yet they were met with actual findings and examples of how it is and can actually be done, yet the main gripe was "keyboards in the Living room are the devil", kind of thought process. Some people still think PC gamers have to be hunched over a KB+M, or that we always have to play games on some small table in a corner, not sitting in comfort. Then we also face the Stigmatism of apparently always having bad ports, always having to update drivers, having less quality games etc, it just goes on and on and it still perpetuates over on the likes of Era and Twitter, via Xbox and PS groups found on those two places. I'm not going to deny that the other systems get their own share of shade though. We have Xbox being cited as the "dude bro" console, "only filled with shooters" and the like. Or how PS is filled with only "cinematic" titles etc.

Oh I'm aware every fanbase cops flak from brand warriors, this is just the one I can speak from personal experience on.

One of the reasons VGChartz is my first choice of gaming forum is that I got tired of the amount of trolling that's allowed to run rampant in just about every other major forum, where it was hard to even have conversations about Nintendo stuff without attracting trolls.

curl-6 said:
Chazore said:

Oh I'm aware every fanbase cops flak from brand warriors, this is just the one I can speak from personal experience on.

One of the reasons VGChartz is my first choice of gaming forum is that I got tired of the amount of trolling that's allowed to run rampant in just about every other major forum, where it was hard to even have conversations about Nintendo stuff without attracting trolls.

That and Nintendo fanbase being like half of the userbase of this forum.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

I think it's more that we have a really great mod team here who actually do their job and don't tolerate trolls polluting discussions.

sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:

Out of curiosity, I googled the best selling games for both consoles. Both had a pretty good mix. Both had a lot of shooters. One console got demonized for it. But that's how a lot of things in this world are. I understand.

Did Xbox fans get demonized for it?  Maybe but I only saw it as an insult in lack of diversity in genres.  Shooters aren't bad but when most of the top 10 list is dominated then one has a lack of diversity in top selling genres.  Let us see the list.

Kinect Adventures - not shooter

GTAV - I'll say not shooter on this one even though it is getting damn close to one

Halo 3 - shooter

Skyrim - not shooter

Minecraft - not shooter

CoD Black Ops - shooter

Halo: Reach - shooter

Halo 4 - shooter

CoD MW2- shooter

Gears of War - shooter

I'm counting 6/10 in top 10 as shooter. 

Face the facts Microsoft will always be known as the dude bro console and they even marketed themselves as that in the era.  Remember?

and hell that was with the Xbox One so they embraced that culture quite well.

Maybe because social media was not much of a thing then but people forget PS2 in the US was often marketed with basketball players and rappers. Sony held parties in hot tubs for marketing.  They did with PSP as well.  A lot of MTV marketing in Magazines mainly and public events. They wanted that male teen demo. Then again so did Spike TV and G4 during that time. 360 came out in 2005 and first unveiled on MTV with rappers and the pimp my ride people and bands like The Killers. MS E3 2005 had an NFL player in his Raiders uniform promote Madden on stage. Sony PS3 E3 had the marketing of stoner teens and bros. E3 Booth babes anyone? The Early to mid-2000s that demo was hot for Sony and MS to go after. MS wanted to beat Sony and saw what worked. They went after the Sony audience of that MTV crowd and said look. We got madden. We got Halo. They set a tone and it stuck for years. Wii set a tone and it's library followed it.

Xbox One however...that was a case of not reading the room correctly and by 2013 some were still after that Spike TV/MTV crowd not realizing it was on it's way out. Remember VGX in 2013? Still going after that crowd even tho it was not much in favor anymore. A year after the disaster of VGX. We got the TGAs. G5 and Spike died. That crowd grew up. What is cool in 2005 is not cool in 2013. How trends work.

Last edited by Leynos - on 10 April 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

DonFerrari said:

I feel like that also helps.

Going by general vote polls, thread interactions and the like over the years, it's shown that there are definitely more Ninty users here, as well as Sony, while there are some Xbox users and a handful of PC.

The mod team also helps in stemming some of the trolls though, like Curl said, but at the same time it doesn't deviate from what you said from being a reality either.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
DonFerrari said:

I feel like that also helps.

Going by general vote polls, thread interactions and the like over the years, it's shown that there are definitely more Ninty users here, as well as Sony, while there are some Xbox users and a handful of PC.

The mod team also helps in stemming some of the trolls though, like Curl said, but at the same time it doesn't deviate from what you said from being a reality either.

The biggest evidence for why Nintendo fans are comfortable here but Xbox fans not so much is exactly that. You'll see on some threads the few Xbox fans that remained complain that they are to little and that the mod team don't protect them and allow to much negativity torwards MS.

It is like a positive Nintendo thread will have a lot more positivity than a positive MS thread and a negative Nintendo thread will have a lot less negativity than a MS one. So I would agree with them that this forum is much more enjoyable for Nintendo fans than MS ones.

For Sony fans I would say the forum is fairly good and for PC I see little people really badmouthing, it is more miss the person not understanding stuff about PC (like thinking it needs to be obscenely expensive, replace every year, not use on TV+couch, etc).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I have all three, and therefore there is no difference. The fanbase with the most sales or positive press becomes toxic for the remainder of that generation (currently Sony, was 360 fans last gen), the fanbase that had less often gets humbled a bit and they are just happy to have some degree of success (but not before getting defensive about everything as they cannot believe their brand is no longer on top), and the fanbase that makes a comeback and either ignores things that could make the product better, or complains about literally everything.

All three change from generation to generation, so while they are never the same all at once, deep down we are all just humans reacting the same way as anyone else depending on the situation.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261